Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Kodiak, Alaska
Last Post 15 Jan 2012 11:35 AM by FloridaGirl. 34 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
kend

--
22 Dec 2011 06:43 AM
    My sons first station will be Kodiak, Ak. Anyone been there? What's it like?

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    22 Dec 2011 06:49 AM
    Lived there for 5 years... I loved it. FloridaGirl is currently stationed there. It is semi-isolated, it is an island in Alaska, I'm sure you would expect it to be semi-isolated. But the base has everything you could possibly need, the town is pretty good too! The scenery is second to none, the fishing, camping, hunting, hiking... all wonderful! It is a great place. Be prepared for a lot of darkness when you fist get there. However, in the summer you can still be out fishing at 1 in the morning and the sun is still up! So you get the light back in the summer months.

*Edit*  Sorry I read the OP to say "I got stationed" not son got stationed.  Answer still applies just it isn't the same wording when asking for someone else.  Oops, have to slow down and read a bit!  LOL    Now you have an amazing place to go visit your son!  Kodiak is a great vacation destination.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jgriff92

--
    22 Dec 2011 08:31 AM
    I just got here and i love it! Alot different from Texas where I'm from lol iv been surprised that it really doesn't get that that cold it's just stayed in the 30s the whole time iv been here. Alot of stuff to do if you like the outdoors though
    Whiskey-185 CGC Alex Haley
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CablesMom

--
    22 Dec 2011 12:12 PM
    My son is stationed in Kodiak now on the AH (home for Christmas now . He likes it. But you have to get used to getting up to go to work when it's still dark out... or going to bed when it's still light out. It rains a lot and it's always windy. My son does not own a car, just rides his bike or walks everywhere. If he needs to go into town, there is a gov. vehicle that goes every day, or he catches a ride with someone. The mountain biking is awesome. If your son is into that, I recommend him taking his bike with him vs. shipping it to him. That was EXPENSIVE!

jgriff92, if you just got there, you 'aint seen nothin' yet. It does get cold-er. Not even a month ago by son said it was 17 degrees out with a windchil of -20, or something like that, with white-out conditions and he had to walk to the boat.

Any more questions? Ask away. We're here for you.
    Proud Coastie Mom
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    22 Dec 2011 01:13 PM
    Here is a webcam sight... You can see what it is like in Kodiak right now.

http://akweathercams.faa.gov/viewsite.php

If you would like to see elsewhere in the state you can chose your location here...

http://www.akmining.com/webcams.htm

I always like looking and thinking about the day I'll be able to go home!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    kend

--
    22 Dec 2011 01:15 PM
    Thank you all for all your help and support. I'm sure we'll have more questions once he gets there. Until then, two more weeks of boot camp for him. Go Coast Guard...Go Zulu 185
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    27 Dec 2011 08:36 AM
    Wow, I need to get down here more often! Kend, whatever you like to know, just ask away. I can PM you my phone number if you like. You or your son can always contact me before or after he's here.

Kodiak is a very unique place. It's pretty chilly now, in the teens. We had a white Christmas in town, but not on base. The first week of December was around 0. Windy, rainy, icy. Kodiak is all those things. It's the most beautiful place on earth, I am convinced. But the summers warm up to about 60, and if he's lucky enough to be on a boat, he will go on some pretty great patrols (and some pretty awful ones too, but don't worry about those!).

He'll be in the barracks for the majority of his time here. They are pretty nice. 2 people to a room, with ajoining bathrooms. So 4 guys to a bath. The rooms can get pretty chilly, so a nice warm or electric blanket may be in order.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    27 Dec 2011 12:39 PM
    Posted By FloridaGirl on 27 Dec 2011 09:36 AM
    We had a white Christmas in town, but not on base.

That's Kodiak... drive 5 miles and the weather will change 6 times!  LOL 
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    kend

--
    27 Dec 2011 04:32 PM
    Zak is pretty immune to the cold, so I hope that won't be an issue with his enjoyment of Alaska. He graduates Jan. 6. We're flying out to Cape May, then going to see the family in Virginia. He is pretty excited. He'll be on the Munro. I was curious about the base, what you do in your spare time..... he is into mountain biking and other outdoorsy stuff....without giving away operational info, how long, on average, are patrols,,,what does he do while he's in homeport, do you get time to explore around the island, go to Anchorage,,fish....I read there's a bowling alley....and movie theater... I want to get alittle flavor of the place, so I can tell Zak when I see him in 9 days. Until then, GO COAST GUARD!!!
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    27 Dec 2011 06:29 PM
    Here is a good start of info about the Munro

http://www.uscg.mil/pacarea/cgcMunr...efault.asp

It is a 378' cutter.  That means the average transit time is 3 months in, 3 months out.  Those times can change as needed but that is the usual.  As for down time in Kodiak, there are many things to do... hiking, fishing, camping, biking, bowling (at one point I was on 5 leagues and score keeper for a men's team, what a blast).  I don't know what the frequency of the flights are anymore but when we were there one weekend a month was the "weekender" flight.  For free, on a CG C-130, they would fly you to Anchorage on Friday and bring you home on Sunday.  I did quite a few weekender flights and always had fun.  There were also weekly medical flights.  If there were open seats, you could hop on as Space A as well.  It was just an up & back in a day but you got a few hours in Anchorage and that was a fun day.  But time on the island is a lot of fun, too.  He will enjoy it! 
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    kend

--
    28 Dec 2011 04:23 PM
    Cable's mom, old guard, and florida girl. Thanks for the info. Nine more days until we go to Cape May, watch Zak graduate, and buy hundreds of dollars worth of Coast Guard coffee mugs, t shirts, beach towels, jammies, hats, coasters, bumper stickers, bath toys....If any of you need anything from New Mexico, let me know.

Christmas night, my wife and I saw two young coasties in a restaurant, and bought them dessert, paying it foreward for all the kindness the town of Cape May has shown the recruits during Christmas. We are so proud of Zak for starting his career with such an amazing organization. Ken and Sara
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    28 Dec 2011 05:03 PM
    I love that post! Have fun stripping the exchange of anything that even remotely looks like you can promote the CG! I could use a little warmth from New Mexico but I do live in Wisconsin so I guess cold is something I live with! Have a wonderful time in Cape May!

My son was at a restaurant in Norfolk, VA. He was eating dinner by himself. There was a man at the next table, he asked Colin if he was military. It had to be the haircut that gave him away. Colin & the gentleman started talking. He was a 1st class staioned in Florida in the Navy. He was in Virginia visiting family. The couple finished their dinner, said good bye to Colin and left. Colin finished his dinner and asked for his bill. There was none. The Petty Officer had paid for Colin's dinner without him ever knowing. So it is always fun to pay it forward a little when you can.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    29 Dec 2011 01:50 AM
    It's always nice to pay it forward! My parents went out for some fancy dinner, anniversary I think. Well, they overheard the young couple next to them. He was Army, and they had just gotten married the day before. It was their honeymoon before he shipped off to Afghanistan. My parents decided it was a perfect time to pick up their tab, even though it was a pricey dinner. They had a very surprised couple who had no clue who paid for their dinner. The new wife cried and all. Heck, even I get all misty thinking about it.

And Macie, the hair always gives us the guys away!
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    29 Dec 2011 08:42 AM
    Scott & I were recently at Pizza Hut for lunch buffet. Sitting by himself at a table was an Army Sgt. There is a local National Guard unit here in town. I asked the waitress if he had paid for his lunch yet, she said no. I paid for it. I was still there when he asked for his check, she brought the check to him. It must have been marked paid because he looked at it, at her and then around the restaurant. I just sort of smiled to myself and finished my pizza. It wasn't an expensive honeymoon dinner but hey, it's a little something.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    30 Dec 2011 12:22 AM
    Hey, it doesn't need to be. It's not even about money. It's just awesome to know that someone cares enough to say "Thanks." And being in the right place at the right time! I love stories like yours. Makes me all sappy and misty eyed.  But if you really wanted to say thanks you would have sent some of that Pizza Hut up here . There is NO pizza on the island anymore, except frozen

On another subject completely, Kodiak's exchange has a ton of Coastie things too that you can have your son send home!
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    30 Dec 2011 12:51 AM
    WHAT!!!!! No pizza on Kodiak!? The only place in town when I got there was Captain's Keg pizza, that closed years and years ago. They had a make your own pizza bar. It was the first time I had ever tried Hawaiian pizza, it was pretty good. Funny thing was I called to order a pizza... Now I'm from NJ and have a family history of bar owners. So I order a large pie. The girl on the phone said "We don't sell pies." Ummmm... pizza pie, I want a pie. Nope, they didn't sell pies. I hung up and had Jimmy call right back. He ordered a large pizza, no pie. We got exactly what he ordered. I learned a lesson! LOL They did open a pizza hut trailer in the parking lot of the Safeway after that opened. I'm guessing that is gone. Wow, I know what I can come back to Kodiak and do!!!! I'll open a pizza and sub shop!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    kend

--
    30 Dec 2011 03:23 PM
    Floridagirl, do you have access to an oven? Pizza is not really that hard to make from scratch. We make it all the time. If you want the recipe, i could send it. I can see it now, Floridagirls homemade pizzas, fishermen and coasties would boat in from miles around. C 130's would deliver them all around the 17th district.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    30 Dec 2011 07:52 PM
    People coming back from Anchorage bring back moose's tooth pizza and pizza hut and seel it by the slice! Hahahaha! And Kend, I have access to an oven, but no baking stuff. Soon I will have my own place though so soon I can make my own pizza.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CablesMom

--
    31 Dec 2011 10:21 PM
    What? No pizza in Kodiak? I think I've heard my son say something about getting pizza and subs from..... Airport Pizza? I got the impression that it was on base. He's got duty today so I can't ask him, but I'm fairly certain there IS pizza somewhere on Kodiak Island. But then of course my son is a typical bachelor and is quite easy to please when it comes to food, which doesn't always mean the pizza he gets is considered edible to the rest of us. Oh, and then there is morale pizza Fridays on the boat (the AH)..... or whatever day they serve pizza. Everyone looks forward to that.
    Proud Coastie Mom
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    02 Jan 2012 12:53 AM
    The pizza parlor on base is kind of a crap-shoot when it comes to pizza. If you are lucky enough to get it when its fresh, it's not bad. But I miss my thin crust pizza with all kinds of yummy toppings! I can't wait to stuff my face with pizza in March when I go back to Florida.
    kend

--
    02 Jan 2012 07:35 AM
    In two more days, Sara and I are flying to Phillie, then driving to Cape May to see Zak graduate. We are so excited!! I've pretty much told the whole town of Taos, New Mexico about him, so I can't wait to stop strangers in the street in Cape May and tell them...hehehe... Any last words from Kodiak? Floridagirl, if we ever get up there, we'll bring the pizza.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    03 Jan 2012 12:06 AM
    It's flipping cold. Tell him that lol! It was -8 the other day. Bring warm pjs, the barracks are freezing! Thanks for the pizza wishes
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    09 Jan 2012 09:02 PM
    Kend, I gotta know. He must have gotten here just in time for the blizzard? Lucky guy.

For the rest of you who may not know, there's feet of snow here. And it's still snowing. This Florida Girl is going to sit in her room under her electric blanket and freak out because I officially cannot process what it occuring. I didn't think this much white stuff really happened. Wake me when it melts ok?
    kend

--
    10 Jan 2012 05:06 AM
    Floridagirl, he graduated Jan. 6, Zulu 185, and will report up there this Fri. I'll give him a heads up to warn him of the snow up there. Meanwhile, you keep warm and don't hibernate too much. On a nicer note, the graduation was so amazing to be a part of, and to see him graduate. He has so many funny stories of boot camp, he kept us laughing for hours. I am so proud of all of you men and women, you are all rock stars to my wife and I. Really. I can't thank you enough for what you all are doing. I'm going to go throw another log in the wood stove, 'cause you're making me cold. Keep in touch, ken
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    10 Jan 2012 06:30 AM
    My old hometown of Valdez, Alaska is up to 20 feet of snow this winter and apparently more on the way! Wish I were still there. I always loved the white stuff. FloridaGirl, don't worry, it does melt... eventually! One year in Valdez we had snow in the park strip until August! It was finally gone by the time the first snows started falling again. LOL I miss my old Alaskan home. (I don't think that's how the song goes though!)

Ken,
    Sounds like the expected good & emotional time was had by all! Yes, I remember listening to Colin's stories of boot camp... then he & his dad started swapping stories. 24 years apart and you would have sworn they were just a couple of classes apart! Some things never change.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    kend

--
    10 Jan 2012 06:46 AM
    current weather
    Taos NM
    tues wed thurs fri
    46/17 43/8 37/10 43/10
    Kodiak, Ak
    39/35 37/11 10/8 10/10
    doesn't seem too bad up there, the -8 comment by floridagirl seems pretty damn cold. All easy for me to say, sitting by the wood stove, drinking a hot cup of coffee.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    10 Jan 2012 09:42 AM
    Posted By kend on 10 Jan 2012 07:46 AM
    current weather
    Taos NM
    tues wed thurs fri
    46/17 43/8 37/10 43/10
    Kodiak, Ak
    39/35 37/11 10/8 10/10
    doesn't seem too bad up there, the -8 comment by floridagirl seems pretty damn cold. All easy for me to say, sitting by the wood stove, drinking a hot cup of coffee.

Yeah yeah.  Tell that to the foot of snow we got last night.  Now it's raining.  Hard freeze Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.  Kend, tell your son to be prepared to stay for up to several days in Seattle or Anchorage (or anywhere he's getting a connecting flight).  On Thursday, it would be advisable to call his unit/sponser.  If this is anything like the last storm we had this way (last month) we may not have any flights come in or out for days.  Airport was closed for 5 days in early December.  If he does get stuck, have him save all his hotel and food receipts - he can file for reembersement.  Sucks paying out of pocket, I know. 

PS: Spending my honeymoon in March in NM.  Hopefully it's as lovely as I remember.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    10 Jan 2012 10:38 AM
    I remember living there and the flights were all grounded. With flights grounded that means no mail in or out of Kodiak either. Now I'm ancient, so there was no on line bill pay or internet of any sort or logging on to see your accounts... I called JCPenney and told them I mailed the payment, but planes hadn't left the island in about 2 weeks. They said "Just drive it over to the store." I told them the nearest store was an hour PLANE RIDE from the little island in the Aleutian chain I was living on! They just couldn't understand! I think actually in the 2 weeks, 3 planes had come & gone... mail was the least of the worries, passengers and luggage bumped everything but registered mail.

The upside Ken, tell your son to make sure the airlines know he is traveling on military orders. If a plane is heading to the island and there are no seats available, they should bump someone to get him on the plane. Military orders will generally take precendence!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CablesMom

--
    10 Jan 2012 11:14 AM
    I'll bet my son is glad he's not in Kodiak right now. The Alex Haley is underway.... south But I have friends who are DRIVING from Haines to Homer right now, nearly 1,000 miles. Then will take the ferry over to Kodiak where she's taken an RN position at the hospital. I can't imagine driving that distance in poor weather!
    Proud Coastie Mom
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    10 Jan 2012 11:20 AM
    I have so much stuff I'm waiting on in the mail! Eventaully I will get it haha. Thankfully nothing important and I am glad I can electronically pay my bills Old Guard.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement