Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Delta 186
Last Post 22 Feb 2012 04:30 PM by lcolon522. 125 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 5 << < 12345 > >>
Author Messages
lcolon522

--
22 Jan 2012 07:16 PM
Very interesting. Knowing the emotional wreck I have been I will probably begin to cry just hearing his voice. Now that I know what to expect I will mentally prepare myself. So the next question is, what day are they allowed to call? Would the call be on a week day? Weekend? Evening? Daytime? What if I'm not home or I can't pick up my cell? I want to be the one to get the call, not my husband or my 13 yr old. Ya know?

Just wondering.
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
22 Jan 2012 07:24 PM
The calls can start as early as Thursday and can go until Tuesday. The calls can start early, they can run until about 7pm-ish eastern time. I believe if there is no answer, they can call back. But if your 13 yr old answers, I think that counts and it will be a week until he calls again. Week 6 on base liberty, if it is earned. Forward your house phone to your cell and if it is a work situation, inform your boss that you are waiting for that call and might have to take a personal call.
Sector NY, Staten Island
lcolon522

--
22 Jan 2012 07:32 PM
Thanks. I had already instructed him to call my cell first, then home, then my hubby. I will make sure when I write tomorrow I reiterate this. Just hope I'm not on a confirm call. I guess I will just put it on hold

You have been extremely informative and makes this process so much easier for me (and I'm sure many other)

Thank you thank you.
lcolon522

--
23 Jan 2012 06:02 PM
we have an updated journal for DELTA 186!!!!!

http://www.tracencapemay.uscgnews.c...3/1285307/
CWO P

--
24 Jan 2012 08:31 PM
Worse case scenario, I will meet with them on Saturday Feb 4th to go over their orders and I can report back to everyone on Sunday in case you haven't received phone calls yet.

CWO P
Proud CG Parents

--
24 Jan 2012 08:38 PM
Thank you for the information and advice posted here! We have found it to be very helpful. We finally got our first letter this past week....what a relief to finally get word!! How often do they receive our mail (just once a week?), as our son said he hadn't heard from us, but we have written several times.

Can you shed any light on what to expect for graduation? How long to plan to spend? Where to stay? Do the recruits have some time off following graduation before going to their first assignment? As "newbies", we welcome any recommendations and advice.

I'm including your sons/daughters and families in my prayers as I pray for our son...for strength, patience, and focus.
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
25 Jan 2012 05:52 AM
Proud,

This link should help with some questions.

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/capemay/recruit/FAQs.asp

Your recruit will have 5 days leave after boot camp. Saturday & Sunday are days 1 & 2 of leave, the military counts weekends towards "vacation" time. Graduation begins about 9:30 I believe in the new location (I'll double check that) and it is completed by 12. After graduation you can take your recruit in your car to go back to the base and then take a short tour of the base, go shopping in the exchange for all the CG stuff you can carry home. Depending upon your time to get back to the airport or if you are driving, you might want to find someplace in town to go for a celebratory lunch!

If you follow this link... http://www.uscg.org/Forum/aft/5773.aspx That is in the family forum area and it lists places people have stayed and their suggestions.

As for mail... They get mail when it has been earned. You also have to realize he wrote you, you wrote him. It takes a couple of days for yours to get to him, his to get to you, days pass in between. So he is probably getting your mail now but when he wrote he hadn't received any mail yet. Don't worry, he will get it. But it takes time and it must be earned. Be sure when addressing the envelope you use his complete first & last name, have the company and the hall on the envelope. If you just address it to MR. J Smith, Cape May... there could be a J Smith in every company. Then they have to figure out which one! If you write Jonas Smith, H-186, James Hall, Cape May, they know exactly who & where.
Sector NY, Staten Island
lcolon522

--
25 Jan 2012 06:56 PM
Hello Coastie families. I just received my 3rd correspondence from my son. He sounds good and in really good spirits. He stated they had a lot of classroom stuff going on and learning all about seamanship, boats and marching. At night is when their IT has been kicking their butts.

I have (no lie) mailed out about 10 cards to him and that's not including what his girlfriend has sent. In his letter it seems like he's not getting our stuff. I sure hope he gets it soon!

He's asking us to go down 1 or 2 days b4 graduation, especially for the dinner the evening before.

Can't wait to get that call next week. Hang in there... It's been tough for my family too! Especially his 13 yr. old brother who was taken care of by my coastie.
lcolon522

--
25 Jan 2012 07:11 PM
Hello gulf coast mom.... I just wanted to stop in and ask how your daughter is doing? Hope things are good and she recovers quickly to go back and finish her task. More than prayers... My heart is with you. Best regards.
lcolon522

--
25 Jan 2012 07:23 PM
Hello CWO P. If you can continue to keep us all update after your meeting with our Coasties that would be great. Today is day 22 since they've left and I feel like the days are going faster. Before you know it we will be there to experience that special day.

As always, thank you

This forum has really made me stronger and not a hot mess like I was in week 1 just saying.
mommapags

--
26 Jan 2012 03:35 PM
lcolon.. So happy to hear that you are doing better.. we also received our third letter from our son (first being a postcard) and it is amazing the difference between his letter last week (which was an awesome letter) to this week..the pride that flowed from his words .. well it was AWESOME. What an amazing transformation from a boy to the making of a man worthy of being a valuable member of the USCG.. we could not be prouder.

Again, I am so happy for you and your transformation from a worried sick Mom (like all of us) to a proud coastie mom!!!!!!

Take Care and you all have a great night
gulf coast mom

--
26 Jan 2012 09:01 PM
Glad to hear your son is doing well. Our daughter made it home last Friday. She will be here for 5 weeks and then goes back for physical therapy, then return to a new unit at the place that she left off. She's been able to work out some at the local Navy base so that's keeping her going. Good luck with your trip plans to Cape May. I'm sure you can't wait to see your son! Thanks again for your well wishes.
lcolon522

--
27 Jan 2012 05:20 PM
I'm very happy to hear everyone's doing ok. Have a great weekend and look forward to reading more good news in the week(s) to come.
CWO P

--
27 Jan 2012 08:43 PM
Good evening Delta family,

Happy to hear the mail is flowing and the spirits are rising. Orders are coming soon and you'll get your quick 5 minute call to let you know whaere that will be. I will bring a roster home with me on Saturday the 4th with everyone's billets in case you don't get or happen to miss that phone call.

When I went to my daughter's grad on Jan 6th, my family and I stayed here:

Days Inn Wildwoods
4610 Ocean Avenue
Wildwood, New Jersey 08260
Phone: (609) 522-0331
Email: info@daysinnwildwood.com

Please understand that this city is hopping in the summer, but in the winter, it is a MAJOR GHOST TOWN. There won't be many options out there.
Make reservations early. This hotel had printed directions to the graduation and I met other family members in the lobby checking inn.

Have a great weekend

CWO P
ProudCCMom

--
27 Jan 2012 10:27 PM
They generally write on Sundays which is when they have devine hours. Sometimes they have about 15 minutes in the evenings before bed but there are other things they have to do as well. Some recruits are great at writing and some are not. Just remember that no news is good news in the military and even though it is really tough for parents and family when they don't hear anything, have confidence in the way you raised them. They are strong. That is why they chose the Coast Guard and that is why the Coast Guard chose them. Keep writing and encouraging them. Send them preaddressed envelopes and some stamps and paper. That helps, too! You will see them soon! Halfway through!
ProudCCMom

--
27 Jan 2012 10:31 PM
The recruits earn on base liberty at the end of week 6. Families are not allowed there that day. Off base liberty is on the Saturday at the end of week 7. This is tough one for families. This is the only day that the recruits can hang around with their shipmates and just have one. We always recommend waiting until graduation and letting the recruits have the day. After graduation, there are many of these shipmates they will never see again. If you do plan on going, please make sure your recruit knows and that they haven't made other plans.
The recruits are required to stay in uniform at all times during liberty hours and of course, all of their actions are a direct reflection on the Coast Guard and their company.
lcolon522

--
28 Jan 2012 12:15 PM
Hi ProudCCMom,

I have so many reservations about going to see my son if he earns off base liberty from what i am told. but so far every letter received I'm asked to go visit. I know we still have time before this happens but I'm so torn. Do you or any body else knows if parents or families have gone? At the end I know it will all work out. I just am curious to know what's the norm. At the end of the day I would do what he wants me to do.

Just curious AGAIN...
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
28 Jan 2012 01:41 PM
The norm is do not go. Like I pointed out this is the one and only opportunity they get to have a Saturday, a few hours, with the other men and women they have gone to hell and back with and conquered their fears, nerves, doubts, and have accomplished something amazing! Getting through boot camp. Mom is always mom and will always be mom. They are shipmates for only eight weeks and they get only one Saturday. Let them have it!
Sector NY, Staten Island
lcolon522

--
28 Jan 2012 08:08 PM
Okay... Got it.
dtushingham

--
30 Jan 2012 01:54 PM
Hello all of you.
I'm so happy I found this forum! My son is in Delta 186 and it makes me happy I'm feeling the same as you all are. My husband is a CG veteran so he has been great to answer my questions but its been quite some time for him. He forgets or things have changed! We've received 2 letters and a postcard from our son as well. He sounds positive so that is calming to me. We normally get his letters on Wednesdays so I'm constantly running to the mailbox like a madwoman on that day. I've been waiting for the journal to be posted all day today. I usually mesh what he says and the journal to get a clearer picture of what he's going through. I'm so excited for his phone call this weekend. I feel like our lives are on hold until we know where his orders will be. 25 days until graduation! Its amazing the time has gone so quickly.

Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
30 Jan 2012 02:01 PM
Welcome aboard. I'm sure once your son gets into the fleet and starts talking about different things all the memories will come flooding back to your husband. If you have any questions, please let us know. We are always here and happy to help.
Sector NY, Staten Island
TheHardens

--
30 Jan 2012 05:32 PM
Hello, everyone - I finally found the blog my sons kept talking about!! We have a second son who is already in and graduated last summer with India 185. It is so good to read all of your postings and know you are out there for support. Our son in Delta 186 seems to be doing great. We actually got a letter from him last week, even though we had reconciled ourselves to accepting the fact that he would only be able to write to his wife of seven years due to the limited time he has to write. We, too, are a very close family and are glad that we can be a real support to his wife in his absence. By the way, she is also doing great - a little tearful at times, but that is to be expected. She is so looking forward to receiving the call from him at the end of this week, so I really appreciate your explicit instructions on how to expect and receive the call, which I will pass on. The final instructions my son gave me in his letter was to write, write, write, as reading the letters were the highlight of his day! Besides prayer (which he also asked for) these letters are such a support to these young men and women who are going through 'the battle'! Thanks again for the great info and we look forward to future posts!
mommapags

--
30 Jan 2012 06:11 PM
Good evening all.....

Not sure if some of you Coastie kin are aware or not but Delta 186 has a Facebook Group. If you log onto facebook.com and under search type in USCG Delta 186 it will bring you to their group page.. once on there click on one of the Admins and tell them your name and the name of the Coastie who belongs to you and they will accept you. If you are not a Facebook member I would certainly join... they posted tons of pictures of our Coasties on their first off base run through Cape May along with a video (awesome) .... so If you havent found them on FB yet I would certainly do so. It was wonderful seeing a picture of my son

Have a wonderful night.. and God Bless
dtushingham

--
30 Jan 2012 06:57 PM
Hi! I just found that tonight too. I've requested entrance in the group and sent my sons name to an Admin. How long does it take for them to accept you?
mommapags

--
30 Jan 2012 07:08 PM
Not long at all... when they log onto FB they will see your request and approve you. It is just a matter of them being on. Enjoy the pictues and the video.. I hope you get a glimpse of your Coastie And seeing how you probably cant wait here is the link for the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP4dUFxfSNU copy and paste it to a new window.. someone ???? posted ths on youtube.. not sure if you will be able to see your Coastie but you will get chills watching them
dtushingham

--
30 Jan 2012 07:12 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm consumed with my Coastie. Can't wait to see him. I requested from the Admins over 2 hours ago....see how stalkish I am?? Lol
mommapags

--
30 Jan 2012 07:17 PM
Haha.. no worries I think we all are

dtushingham

--
30 Jan 2012 08:38 PM
I saw him mommapags...thanks so much! I've also been accepted as a groupie of D186 on FB
vmpjax

--
31 Jan 2012 05:35 AM
Good Morning. My son's fiance' is in Delta 186. I've been trying to find out when I can expect a phone call from her since I'm the only person she has her in the states. My son is currently on the USS John C. Stennis on his way back and she can't call him. I've recieved two letters from her, I kinda of expected one this past weekend and didn't get anything. I'm very concerned, her last letter said she was having a really rough time.
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
31 Jan 2012 07:01 AM
Welcome aboard vmpjax! Phone calls will be made at the end of week 5. they ca nstart as early as Thursday and sometimes go as long as until Tuesday of week 6. The first few weeks are notoriously difficult but it does get easier! Hopefully things have improved for her. Always keep in mind, no news is good news. Thank your son for his service! If you have any questions, let us know. The services are pretty similar but the language is so completely different, if you are a Navy mom, CG lingo is going to sound weird. We'll help with whatever you've got.
Sector NY, Staten Island
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 5 << < 12345 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement