Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Delta 186
Last Post 22 Feb 2012 04:30 PM by lcolon522. 125 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 5 << < 12345 > >>
Author Messages
dtushingham

--
31 Jan 2012 08:00 AM
The weekly Coast Guard Delta 186 is now posted
TheHardens

--
31 Jan 2012 09:27 AM
Hi - just wanted to say a big thank to mommapags for the Facebook tip - I actually saw my son in a few of the photos. Does a mother's heart good to see her son is okay!!
Basic Member
Basic Member
KD

--
31 Jan 2012 01:32 PM
Hi, Delta 186 families! Since you are finding your recruits on FB, I wanted to let you know there are many other excellent support resources there too.
USCG Parents, Family and Friends is another FB page where lots of pictures and info get posted. For mothers of CG members, there is a private site, USCG Moms. There are lots of others specific to wives and girlfriends, moving information and more that I probably haven't even found yet. Go hunting, and find what you need!
For the closed sites, be sure to send a request with a little info about yourself/your recruit to the administrators.
Coastiepride

--
31 Jan 2012 01:42 PM
Coast guard moms(dads welcome too) is another excellent site on FB. I find it more informative than USCG Moms. Also US Coast Guard Parents, families and friends is great. We're all in this together!
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
31 Jan 2012 03:12 PM
I believe the Coast Guard MOMS facebook page, is simply that... MOMS, no dads. It is a place for women to get together and cry, laugh, complain, hug, share... not that men can't but women are a bit more tolerant to each other's emotions. I don't knowif there is a Coast guard DADS facebook page but there certainly is a USCG Friends and Family, that is open to even Fido if he has his own facebook. But the MOMs page is clearly for the ladies only.
Sector NY, Staten Island
lcolon522

--
31 Jan 2012 07:01 PM
dtushingham

--
31 Jan 2012 07:02 PM
Old Guard 2,
As I mentioned before, my husband is in the Coast Guard years ago. My son's last letter asked my husband to hand him his diploma at graduation. My son explained that anyone in a Coastie's family who has prior military service can do this. How does this work?
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
31 Jan 2012 07:14 PM
If he is still authorized to wear and can fit his uniform, absolutely he can hand your son his certificate. My ex-husband is a Commander in the CG and he was the one that handed Colin his. As if there weren't enough tears, seeing my ex with his chest all puffed out and so proud and then just when I thought there were enough tears... My ex-husband messed up handing Colin the certificate so instead of a handshake or a salute, Jim just grabbed Colin and hugged him. The whole audience did one of those collective "Ahhhh".

So to actually answer your question... He just needs to let them know at Cape May that your husband will be there and present him with the certificate. It truly is a GREAT moment!!! Trust me, you will be crying!
Sector NY, Staten Island
lcolon522

--
31 Jan 2012 07:24 PM
I just watched the video and got a small glimpse of my son. OMG just to see him in action (and this is just something so simple) and brought a hugh smile to my face... My heart was racing and am so elated!!! WOW thanks for sharing... now I'm waiting for my acceptance on FB.. thank you so much for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lcolon522

--
31 Jan 2012 09:27 PM
If anyone is an admin of the Delta 186 Group on FB... please add me. I'm so eager to get on and see what I can find on my son.
I've sent several requests. No response as of yet. Thank you.
dtushingham

--
01 Feb 2012 11:31 AM
I got my third (if counting postcard 4th) letter today. My Coastie had a great Week 4. What a relief to learn that! He's on the fast track to becoming a man
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
01 Feb 2012 11:34 AM
I saw an amazing growth in Colin at graduation... but now, almost 3 years into his CG career, the man he has become... I am just so proud. I was never disappointed in my son but there was a time, that year or 2 after high school, when I figured "Well, this is it. He is going to live with me forever and be a master at World of Warcraft! I hope I make enough to afford both of us!" What he has become in just the last 18 months or so, what an amazing, amazing young man he has become. So you'll see it at graduation, then you will see the leaps and bounds ahead of his friends that he will be in a couple more years. Just watch for it. It is impressive!
Sector NY, Staten Island
dtushingham

--
01 Feb 2012 11:43 AM
You made me laugh! Out loud! My son loves those darn games too. And your right it was that year right after high school, I think there was a lost of direction or him thinking he was an adult "just because" he graduated high school. He's always been a great kid, never caused any trouble, hard worker and is a truly caring person. This is what he needed and I'm so excited for him! I'm excited for the man he will become, for the opportunities he will have and for him to experience the world! I kept telling people before he left that it was time for him to go and that I couldn't wait for him to go. It wasn't because I wanted to be rid of him, I wanted him to LIVE!
lcolon522

--
01 Feb 2012 04:06 PM
I have to say... the same goes for me.. LOL
so I recieved my best letter yet from my Coastie, he passed his mid-term exam with a 94 and completed his run with 2 minutes to spare. So proud of this kid... never thought this was going to be his direction in life until his senior year. Now I patiently wait for that call... keep my fingers crossed it's tomorrow. by the way, what is OPM?
lcolon522

--
02 Feb 2012 05:15 AM
PHONE CALLS START TODAY..... HOPEFULLY!!!!!!
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
02 Feb 2012 06:00 AM
COULD start today... probably will not. The calls are GENERALLY received on the weekends.
Sector NY, Staten Island
TheHardens

--
02 Feb 2012 12:49 PM
I have a question that maybe Old Guard 2 could answer for me. With our son at bc, I am trying to assist my daughter-in-law with my son's 'to do' list in his absence. Can you please tell me what the appropriate procedure and timing is for his wife to obtain her military id and insurance as the spouse of a coastie? I am assuming it is after the successful completion of boot camp, but just want to have my facts correct. I would appreciate any help you can give. Thanks!
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
02 Feb 2012 01:12 PM
You are absolutely correct! I'm not sure if she can get it at Cape May on the day of graduation... I think she can but if there are a lot of marrieds the line might be crazy. So they can wait until he reports to his duty station and teh YN (Yeoman) will help get them all squared away with the necessary paperwork. Be sure to tell her... Birth certificate, marraige license, social security card, blood & hair sample (OK, those are an exaggeration for effect) but she will need all of her paperwork to obtain her military id card.

In the meantime, if she has any doctor's appointments, she is "officially" covered by his insurance now but without the id card of course she has no proof. Save all receipts and those can be put in later for reimbursement from insurance.

I just have all the answers, don't I!? If you have anything else, ask away. We are here to help however we can.
Sector NY, Staten Island
TheHardens

--
02 Feb 2012 01:28 PM
Thank you so much! I knew I could count on you to have ALL the answers!! Further to your answer, my son mailed the insurance card to her, (wasn't sure if he was supposed to or not) so would she be able to go ahead and use it or should she wait?
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
02 Feb 2012 02:38 PM
It has been a while since I was a military wife so I'm not sure what might have chagned. I don't remember an insurance card? The only thing I ever had was my military id and nothing else. I will let this question go out to everyone else... Is there an insurance card now that can be used without a military id? I'm sure if he sent something he was authorized to send it and it is fine to use it. I just know we never had an insurance card so I am not sure.

There goes my perfect record of always having an answer! LOL But at least I know when I need to rely on the others of this forum to help with answers, so that keeps my track record going strong.
Sector NY, Staten Island
TheHardens

--
02 Feb 2012 02:50 PM
You have been a tremendous help! Hopefully, someone else can help further.

I'm just so grateful for this site so that we can ask questions and get immediate answers. So because of this, I think I will ask another question.

Our other son who graduated last summer with India 185 will be coming to the graduation. If he wants to present his brother's certificate at graduation, I know he needs to be in uniform, but what else will he need to do to prepare, like be there really early or just let someone know before it starts?

Sorry to be a pain, just trying to organize all the details in advance!
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
02 Feb 2012 02:55 PM
Your current recruit can let his CC's know he will be presenting the certificate. If it is going to be a surpruse, then your current Coastie can contact the CC's and let them know he will be attending and would like to present the certificate. We have had a couple of people plan surprises for graduation, so it is possible.
Sector NY, Staten Island
TheHardens

--
02 Feb 2012 03:05 PM
As far as I'm concerned you still have all the answers!!! Thanks again for all your help.
CWO P

--
02 Feb 2012 06:09 PM
Good evening DELTA Family,

Apologize for the quick break from this forum, but work has been crazy! I am currently packing my bags to go see your sons and daughters this SATURDAY. I'll arrive Cape May tomorrow night. I can't wait to see them again. Meeting them in week 2 was so awesome, I can't wait to see their progress. On Saturday at 9am, my co-mentor and I will be testing our old bones with your recruits on the base obstacle course. It should be a lot of fun. (If I don't make it to grad, you'll know why..just kidding). After that, we're giving out orders guys!! That's right, I'll be there in living color when they find out where they are going. Expect the phone calls on Superbowl Sunday or Monday morning.

LT Ed Herbts will be in charge of organizing the family members handing out certificates. On graduation day, he'll be at a check in table where he will check you in and guide you through the process. I gave my daughter her grad certificate on Jan 6th and I blew up that 8x10 into a 10x13 which currently hangs in my office. Other than when she arrived on earth, I can't remember a happier day! Please be loud at graduation and cheer as loud as you can. Hope to meet everyone at the meet and greet on Thursday prior to grad! have a nice weekend, I'll post again on Sunday night after the superbowl.

CWO P

dtushingham

--
02 Feb 2012 06:33 PM
Good Evening Chief Warrant Officer Perez,

My son SR Jordan Tushingham has informed me that I will be permitted to hand him his diploma since I am a Coast Guard Veteran. I would be very excited to partake in this ceremony as my son has requested I do so if i'd wish. Having said that, I have heard that I will need to be in CG uniform in order to do so. Please clarify,

Regards,

Dave Tushingham
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
02 Feb 2012 07:44 PM
Uniforms are mandatory to present the certificate.
Sector NY, Staten Island
dtushingham

--
02 Feb 2012 08:00 PM
Well, I've been out for 25 years, anywhere i can get a uniform??
Coastiepride

--
02 Feb 2012 08:15 PM
Thank you for letting us know, CWO Perez. It's a bummer for us to have to wait longer but I know you'll enjoy getting to be there and see them receiving their orders. I know the recruits think very highly of you. Our son shared all about meeting you and also your daughters story in his first letter home. Thank you for being there for our coasties!!! We'll be anxious to hear your feedback on their reactions. Be careful on the course, we're counting on meeting you Thursday night!
CWO P

--
03 Feb 2012 07:21 AM
Mr. Tushingham,

Old Guard 2 is right. Every presenter must be in uniform. You won't be the only retired member. My daughter's graduation had 3 Army retired, 2 Navy retired and an auxiliarist hand out certs. I would say that the nearest Coast Guard Exchange will probably have what you need, but I'll warn you that uniform prices have gone way up in the last few years. (30+dollars for pants,20+dollars for shirts and if you need a Bravo jacket, that will be over $100). Let me know if you need any info on finding your nearest exchange.

Coastiepride,

You won't have to wait too much longer. The last 3 weeks fly by, especially with on base and off base liberty phone calls. Those calls relieve a lot of built up anxiety and makes the last 3 weeks prior to grad a lot more bearable. Thank you for your compliments and I'm glad your son came away with a great first visit. I enjoyed it as well and this weekend should be even better. Please let me know your son's name so I can keep a mental highlight on where he's going.

To all parents in this forum,

Not sure how you want to handle this but I'll let you decide. I'll know their orders on Saturday afternoon and I'll be driving home on Sunday morning with that info on hand. Would you like me to tell you, or would you rather hear it from them when they call you with the news?. I don't want to be "the guy that ruins the end of a movie". I know you are eager to find out where your kids are going to spend the next 1-2 years of their lives, but I'll give you the choice of how you want to find out. If you want to hear it from me, I'll tell you, but if you want to hear it from them, I certainly understand. I'll be on this forum until 1pm ET today, then I'll be driving to Cape May from Virginia Beach. If you want to know your child's orders from me, please call me after 9am Sunday morning at 757-667-0100. Have a great weekend..go PATS!! (I'm actually a TB Bucanneers fan, but I admire Tom Brady, heluva QB).
dtushingham

--
03 Feb 2012 11:39 AM
I will let my husband know about the uniform. I'm glad we have the option if he wants to spend the money! I think he has a piece or two of his uniform at his parents house, but he'll need to find them. He thinks he's pretty much the same size as he was then so that is a good thing I will also let you know about my sons orders! I'm not sure what I'm more excited to hear his orders or his voice! I know his time is wrapping up at bootcamp and I know its a matter of a week to really TALK to him! Thanks so much for your understanding. BTW, we are Penn Staters so we are routing for the Pats too...now that we are getting O'Brien!
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 5 << < 12345 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement