Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
The new Coast Guard.
Last Post 18 Jan 2012 11:27 AM by MasterGuns2077. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
FutureCoastie92

--
11 Jan 2012 07:51 PM

The other day president Obama announced that the military is about to undergo drastic changes and restructuring to better prepare the military for the needs of the future. I understand that this has been planned for some time I found an article from a few years ago that talks about the challenges of “new Coast Guard”. It’s a good read but has few clear answers (I’ll put the link below).

I know that the USCG is the smallest branch and was already somewhat selective. Does this mean that it will become even more selective? It has been my lifelong dream to be a Coast Guardsmen. I have not yet started the enlistment process, I’m at a 2 year college working toward my associates degree which I should have next year. Will recruitment be as bleak as it sounds in the coming years?      

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2010/06/coast_guard.html

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    11 Jan 2012 08:20 PM
    No one can accurately predict what the Coast Guard is going to be doing tomorrow morning, let alone a few years from now. Don't sweat it, things change fast for us. If you're really concerned I recommend you write your elected officials. Tell them, "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not gonna take it anymore!" (that's from the movie Network in case you were wondering). Give yourself at least a 1 to 1 1/2 year window to begin the application process, and you should be fine.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    rfail1988

--
    12 Jan 2012 05:25 PM
    Amazing article. Loved it. I didn't know that website had the capability to make any sense I know that the budgets need shrinking, but it is outrageous to cut where we need to spend more for the sake or sustainability. It's standard politician strategy of saying "we have cut to the bone and have to cut some vital services cause we can't cut anywhere else!" While there are loads of places to cut reasonably. All points in the article were great. I doubt most will be a trainable in the next few years, but its something to hope for.
    FutureCoastie92

--
    18 Jan 2012 12:49 AM

Thanks, and about how long does it take from the time you first meet with a recruiter go through the ASVAB and MEPS and then finally ship out?

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MasterGuns2077

--
    18 Jan 2012 08:20 AM
    A long time. Some it only takes a few months, but with ship dates for May already starting to show up for people who have been in the process long before now, you're looking at a long wait. It will have been almost a year for me from when I first met my recruiter to when I ship.
    I believe everyone who says it's totally worth it.
    Your passion for what you do will set you free.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    rfail1988

--
    18 Jan 2012 10:18 AM
    +1 masterguns.

I started my process in june of 2011 and got my ship date in late august 2011. The recruiters in the office said that I was one of the fastest cases they've ever seen to getting my ship date. I'm shipping on the 24th of this month.

Again my case was somewhat of an anomaly and it'll likely take longer, unless you're a total stud (like me )
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MasterGuns2077

--
    18 Jan 2012 11:27 AM
    Even if you're a stud, your office could be chock full of studs and you're just one of the crowd.  When I showed up, I was about to graduate college (by no means did this make things go any faster), had no weight to lose, some debt but nothing above the limit.  I wound up scoring a 97 on the ASVAB, got through MEPS with only one hiccup which took about a month or so to clear up.  My office covers most of Tennessee and I'm sure has applicants from the borders in other states, all with 3 recruiters at the office.  I'm certain I'm not the only "stud" who showed up looking for a job in the CG.

That's not to say they didn't want me in, it just means that I was one in a long line of applicants they wanted to get in.
    I also saw some ship dates for June/July...Start now, the sooner the better!
    Your passion for what you do will set you free.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement