Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Off Base Liberty
Last Post 27 Jan 2012 05:17 PM by lcolon522. 28 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
sandeky5

--
14 Jan 2012 12:13 AM
    I was just wondering how we get around and what kinda places there are we can visit during our off base liberty.  I heard this is the best time because you can buy cheap throw away phones and talk for hours and get to know everyone. Thanks.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    14 Jan 2012 12:29 AM
    The taxi cabs will be lined up at the gate to get you to Walmart for a phone or into Wildwood. You can talk on the phone, go to a movie, go to a sports bar and watch a game (DO NOT DRINK!!!!), go somplace with your shipmates and have a burger and just talk and laugh and share... Then get a cab back to base!

It is a good time but remember everything you had been taught up to that point. My ex-husband's company had a few guys, I think he said 3 or 5, reverted all the way back to week 3! That would so SUCK!
    USCGC Midgett
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    rfail1988

--
    14 Jan 2012 09:53 AM
    So glad to hear that taxis line up there. I was afraid I would have to walk everywhere and from the looks of things on Google maps, there aren't many things within walking distance of the tracen...
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    14 Jan 2012 04:57 PM
    You'll make friends. Share a taxi (actually, I think there was a company that charged $5 per recruit, and they picked you up and dropped you off in front of Walmart) and get some food of your choice. A friend of mine and I went to a chinese buffet - it was such a treat to serve ourselves and eat what we wanted! I got soft serve ice cream there and mixed in brownies and cookies and all sorts of deliciousness. We talked on our phones all day, I got Starbucks, and then a few of us got a hotel room and napped. It was winter, so a lot of things were closed.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    rfail1988

--
    15 Jan 2012 01:40 PM
    chinese!? Pssh... there's a five guys burgers right next to the Wally World! How could one ever go elsewhere?? (Thanks Google maps)
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    15 Jan 2012 04:17 PM
    Five Guys burgers are ok.... but the fries are amazing!!!!
    USCGC Midgett
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MasterGuns2077

--
    15 Jan 2012 04:51 PM
    I ate five guys for lunch today.  Bacon cheeseburger with everything and jalepenos, and a pile of fries. 

The burger itself, delicious but not the best I've ever had, but with all the grilled fixings, holy lord what a friggin amazing burger....
    It's dinnertime, and I'm not hungry thanks to that burger.  Still pretty full.  Good thing I'm 35lbs. shy of being overweight, a couple more trips to Five Guys and I'd be in trouble.
    Your passion for what you do will set you free.
    captkyguyUser is Online
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    15 Jan 2012 04:55 PM
    Razoos cheeseburger, fries and hush puppies are awesome, I get it without the bbq sauce though. Good stuff.
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    15 Jan 2012 04:56 PM
    Im big...and I usually dont finish the big cheeseburger and fries. Too much love in those burgers.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    15 Jan 2012 08:30 PM
    We had Jersey Mike's subs for dinner! Now that is eating! I love subs!!!
    USCGC Midgett
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    16 Jan 2012 06:34 AM
    Five Guys? Are you kidding? Kuma's Korner in Chicago. Best. Burger. On. Two. Continents. Fact.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    NargilFenris

--
    16 Jan 2012 11:00 AM
    On off base I ate at Dunkin Donuts twice, once right when we got in to town and again before heading back to base.
    If you were hoping for the A Team you will be sorry to know you got the F Troop.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MasterGuns2077

--
    16 Jan 2012 11:28 AM
    Gears obviously you've never been to Alex's Tavern in Memphis.  The unenlightened cannot be held accountable for their lack of understanding. 
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    16 Jan 2012 11:39 AM
    Oh come on, good old Mickey Dee's. HAHAHAHAHA

There is a place in Texas, not sure if it is anywhere else... Flip's Patio Bar. They make excellent burgers and they make them to order. I like my burgers on the rare side, give me pink & juice. No problem! I can't stand places that say they must re-kill the cow because of food borne illness. Well buy a better quality cut of beef and maybe you wouldn't have to worry so much!
    USCGC Midgett
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MasterGuns2077

--
    16 Jan 2012 11:42 AM
    Food born illness is the poor excuse used by a lousy cook cooking lousy meat.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    16 Jan 2012 11:59 AM
    Amen to that!!!
    USCGC Midgett
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    16 Jan 2012 01:23 PM
    Gears obviously you've never been to Alex's Tavern in Memphis. The unenlightened cannot be held accountable for their lack of understanding.

I'm going to be passing through Memphis on the way to NOLA next month. West Pier in Sault Ste Marie, MI makes a burger that comes with a coupon for a complimentary double bypass.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    lcolon522

--
    16 Jan 2012 04:05 PM
    My son is on his 3rd week. When are the coasties entitled to Liberty? Are families allowed to go visit during that time? Are they advised before hand? Just wondering. Thanks.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    16 Jan 2012 04:27 PM
    When are the coasties entitled to Liberty?

We are never entitled to liberty. We are granted liberty. If they earn it the will have on base liberty Week 06, and off base Week 07. They'll be able to call home on both.
    lcolon522

--
    16 Jan 2012 04:50 PM
    Thank you!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    skitdu671

--
    16 Jan 2012 10:51 PM
    When exactly do these "on base / off base" liberties happen?
    Do something every day that you don't want to do; this is the golden rule for acquiring the habit of doing your duty without pain. ~ Mark Twain
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    17 Jan 2012 06:51 AM
    Saturday week 06, Saturday week 07 of you earn it.
    sandeky5

--
    19 Jan 2012 12:37 AM
    Thank you guys very much =)
    lcolon522

--
    22 Jan 2012 07:22 PM
    Hello gears. Question about off base liberty. If my coastie is granted... What time will he be able to go off base? I have a 4hour drive and would like to be available for him the minute he walks out. Also how long are they given on that day. I recv a letter from him and if it's granted he wants me there. Thanks.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    22 Jan 2012 07:44 PM
    Piece of advice... I wouldn't go for the off base liberty! This is one of the best opportunities for the recruits to spend time together in a social setting. I understand wanting to be there for your recruit... BUT, this is also part of the training. It is something of a test to see how they handle that first time off base. He may want you there right now because that closeness of being a team has only just started to sink in... By the time week 7 rolls around, he might have a completely different attitude. He can make life long friends in boot camp, let them have their one and only free day to be themselves. You'll have him 6 days after that for a week. Trust me, let him have his time with his shipmates. It is important.
    USCGC Midgett
    lcolon522

--
    22 Jan 2012 07:54 PM
    I WILL heed your words. Knowing this allows me to not pursue my intentions and his request. I am slowly letting go. He is my first child to make a decision like this, going into the military. It's So different from my daughter who went to cellege (at least for me) Thank you again for your feedback and advice.
    lcolon522

--
    22 Jan 2012 07:57 PM
    *college (typo)lol
    PUDDLE PIRATE DAD

--
    26 Jan 2012 10:16 AM

I have not been on in awhile but still read daily but had to add to this.
    As said earlier this is also a test and they are being watched by CCs under cover, even though its week 7 they need to be on best behavior they still could be revertd, my son's class had three. Just a thought......

lcolon522

--
    27 Jan 2012 05:17 PM
    Thanks for your feedback!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement