Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
LAW ENFORCEMENT/SECURITY RATING!
Last Post 30 Jun 2008 01:51 AM by Amy987. 19 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
macmac

--
24 Jun 2008 10:06 PM
    approved!!!
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    24 Jun 2008 10:35 PM
    Yeah, saw the announcement on the Commandant's page. Said it will take 24 months to spin up. I wonder how the timing will work for current non-rates? I mean, if that's what you want to do it doesn't make sense to declare another rate but the delay in starting up is going to create a backlog, no?

Well, it's my son's problem, not mine.

:-)
    PUDDLE PIRATE DAD

--
    24 Jun 2008 11:17 PM
    My Son is the on a MSST team and they have been talking about this and how it will work. As of right now and you know how that can change, you will be able to do a lateral transfer to that rate. So if you are a BM, MK and so on and you have the quals. BO, BMT and even MLE and anything else related you will be able to change your rate. That is as of now, there is a offical name for the tranfer but I can not remember it right now. From what my son has told me the LE rate would do all the boarding and high risk interdictions. He his currently at BO school in S.C. at MLE training center and this is being talked about there. So to answer the question get into a rate that does alot of LE (BM, MK etc.) and get as must training as possible in the LE fields to be part of the transfer to the new rate.

Hope this helps some.......

Ted
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    macmac

--
    24 Jun 2008 11:21 PM
    i am a police officer on base as a non rate, i have been told that they will just lateral us into the rate.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    macmac

--
    24 Jun 2008 11:24 PM
    it has also still been stated that the new LE rate will not completely take over all LE ops. Other rates still need to maintain and contiue to be BOs and BTMs
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    24 Jun 2008 11:35 PM
    Thanks for the info! I am certain my son will be interested in this. He's a non-rate but he got his BTM qual a while back and is very interested in law enforcement. He was home this weekend for his sister's wedding and he mentioned that he already told the XPO he was interested if this rate if it came through.<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 6/24/2008 11:35:58 PM GMT

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JetblackSTRIFE

--
    25 Jun 2008 12:31 AM
    So when are you able to apply for the LE rating?
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    25 Jun 2008 12:36 AM
    Commandant's Message. That's all of the official info that I've seen posted publicly. If there is better official info out there, please post a link.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JetblackSTRIFE

--
    25 Jun 2008 01:02 AM
    Thanks! This rating sounds right up my alley, and hopefully I can aim for it when I get out of boot around November.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    macmac

--
    25 Jun 2008 03:40 AM
    24 MONTHS
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Amy987

--
    25 Jun 2008 02:58 PM
    So in October I'm going to enlist and eventully want to be a BM. I would REALLY like to be in law enforcement, should I still go to A-school/Strike for the BM job or do you think I would have a better chance of getting in LE as a non-rate??
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    25 Jun 2008 03:24 PM
    It's going to be a while before the answers to those questions become clear. Hopefully by the time you go to basic they will have some answers for you.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    macmac

--
    27 Jun 2008 10:33 PM
    you should ask yourself why you want to be a BM.  theres a decent chance you will be involved in LE as a BM, but a FS could be a BTM or a BO.  You could always go BM, if you dont like it you can switch over to the LE rate when it comes out.  They might let you lateral transfer or you will have to stay a BM for the required time then go to LE A school.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Amy987

--
    28 Jun 2008 02:05 AM
    okay,that sounds good! Even if I cant do the LE after becoming a BM, thats fine. I hear BM's do some law enforcement also. Either way is good with me. :)
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    treyyert34

--
    28 Jun 2008 02:18 AM
    You want info on BM?

Trey S.     Helping the community......one post at a time.

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Amy987

--
    29 Jun 2008 04:15 PM
    anything you have would certainly help.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    treyyert34

--
    29 Jun 2008 04:21 PM
    Boatswain's Mates (BM), the most versatile members of the Coast Guard's operational team, are masters of seamanship. BMs are capable of performing almost any task in connection with deck maintenance, small boat operations, navigation, and supervising all personnel assigned to a ship's deck force. BMs operate hoists, cranes, and winches to load cargo or set gangplanks, stand watch for security, navigation, or communications, and have a general knowledge of ropes and cables, including different uses, stresses, strains, and proper stowing.

Types of Duty:
    BMs can be found in nearly every duty station available throughout the United States and various locations overseas. They serve on every Coast Guard cutter, from harbor tugs to sea going icebreakers. Additionally, in many assignments you will act as a federal law enforcement officer. BMs are officers-in-charge of many patrol boats, tugs, small craft, and small shore units including search and rescue stations and aids to navigation teams. BMs utilize their leadership and expertise to perform the missions of the Coast Guard, at sea and on shore.

Training Available:
    Training for Boatswain's Mate is accomplished through 12 weeks of intensive training at Yorktown, VA or with on-the-job training through a striker program. Once this training is completed, BMs may go on to other advance training such as Coxswain, Heavy Weather Coxswain, Aids to Navigation Basic and Advanced, Buoy Deck Supervisor, Law Enforcement including fisheries, among others.

Qualifications:
    You should have leadership ability, physical strength, good hearing, normal color vision, and a high degree of manual dexterity. School courses taken in algebra, geometry, and shop are helpful. Any experience handling small boats is extremely valuable.

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Amy987

--
    29 Jun 2008 11:55 PM
    okay so you visite about.com too. lol, thanks for taking the time to look for me :)
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    treyyert34

--
    30 Jun 2008 12:30 AM
    No thats not about.com, USCG.mil

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Amy987

--
    30 Jun 2008 01:51 AM
    oh yeah, I have that in my favorites too. I knew I saw it somewhere. thx again though.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement