Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Advise on how to have Job work with me!
Last Post 03 Feb 2012 12:26 PM by Old Guard2. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
iking3i

--
02 Feb 2012 02:54 PM

***MOD's, I apologize if in wrong section***

Good day all, My name is Ivan, and  I will be shipping out to BC on March 20th!! I currently have 2 part time jobs, one with TSA and the other with a bank. I have 2 beautiful children, 5 yr old and 6 month old, and my beautiful lovely wife. 

Just recently when i recieved my date, i notified both jobs of my venture and asked for some family time before my departure. I was no longer going to work as of March 1, I requested an Unpaid Leave of absense since i dont have enough vaca from both jobs. Without hesitation, TSA approved me, but not so with the bank.

Ive been with this bank for going on 4 years. Of coarse they are willing to give me my military leave because by law they are required to, but they denied the ULOA. I know technically i dont have any protection, but this company was supposted to be about balance of work/family life. I dont see it right now.. Has anyone been in this situation? I love the company i work for and the poeple i assist. I would like the option to come back once i graduate, but they rather me work up until the day i leave. They rather me abandon my employement then grant me the leave and return. I have no disiplinces or any negative actions in my files, all have been positives. I all want to do is be with my family for some time instead of working 70+ hour weeks.. Any suggestions??

Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    02 Feb 2012 08:28 PM
    Are you going into the reserve?
    iking3i

--
    03 Feb 2012 02:22 AM
    Yes Sar, I'll be going in as an IS Reservist..
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Browns24

--
    03 Feb 2012 05:10 AM
    Who is not granting your the time off? Direct superior? Office Manager? Company Headquarters? You can always take things like this to a higher level if needed... unless of course its the Company HQ, then you maybe a little outta luck...
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    srf13

--
    03 Feb 2012 05:26 AM
    Have you done any research on FMLA(Family Medical Leave Act)? There are military changes that were made I believe, and many states have additional protections built in that go above and beyond the Federal requirements.
    iking3i

--
    03 Feb 2012 06:29 AM
    I notified my supervisor, who said the regional denied me.. I do plan on going above her and write a nice email in regards to my situation..

I have not checked the FMLA, but that will be the first thing I do when I walk into work today. I just was really shocked at the answer.. Its not like I want to go out and party before hand, I just want quality time with my children and wife.. Yes its only 8 weeks, but to be away from my children especially, I want to spend every last moment with them..
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    03 Feb 2012 06:46 AM
    Not to sure FMLA covers that...but worth a try.

TSA gave you the time off so that should eliminate the 70+ hours down to whatever the bank needs you, allowing you to have that time with your family. It is a very tough economy to be pushing for extended time off and to ask that they hold your position open. It would be a tough call, I know we did not do it for one of our firefighters that joined the Army National Guard and was going for Special Forces...if successful his training was looking to be almost 2 years before coming back. We hade to give him the military time which ran us short a firefighter, but we did not need to give anymore time off so we didn’t.

You are asking a lot of the bank to give you the time off and hold open your position open for you, (almost a full 3 months) thus placing extra work load on the other employees, who probably would like to have some extra family time as well.

Just a few extra thoughts for you to ponder.
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    srf13

--
    03 Feb 2012 06:51 AM
    Posted By captkyguy on 03 Feb 2012 07:46 AM

TSA gave you the time off so that should eliminate the 70+ hours down to whatever the bank needs you, allowing you to have that time with your family. It is a very tough economy to be pushing for extended time off and to ask that they hold your position open. It would be a tough call, I know we did not do it for one of our firefighters that joined the Army National Guard and was going for Special Forces...if successful his training was looking to be almost 2 years before coming back. We hade to give him the military time which ran us short a firefighter, but we did not need to give anymore time off so we didn’t.

You are asking a lot of the bank to give you the time off and hold open your position open for you, (almost a full 3 months) thus placing extra work load on the other employees, who probably would like to have some extra family time as well.

It may not cover it, I just scanned this article quickly... but if you can articulate an exigent circumstance well enough, you may be able to squeeze out a week or two out of them.  

This may or may not help.  Good luck.
    iking3i

--
    03 Feb 2012 10:45 AM
    Posted By captkyguy on 03 Feb 2012 07:46 AM

That is certainly true of you to say.. And the thought does run through my mind.. But i believe there is a huge differnce in Firefighting then the world of retail banking.. There is so much turnover, that theres constant change.. If i were to work up until the day i leave, and initiate my Military leave, they will replace my position with a new body, no questions asked.. When i return, i will just be displaced into another branch that is hiring at that time.. which for me is fine..

But my family is more important, im fighing for my job, but im missing out on my sons first baseball games, and hes said some things that really hit home for me.. but thats getting too personal and mushy for Coasties!!
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    03 Feb 2012 12:26 PM
    Bankers, firemen, military members, sales clerk at Walmart... they all miss out on some things. Jim wasn't home for 3 of Colin's dental surgeries when he was a baby. He was in Brazil when Colin went to his very first circus to see the elephants and lions and tight rope walkers. He was in Yorktown at school when I was hospitalized for spinal meningitis. He was in Iraq for a year when his other son, Piper, was playing scholastic hockey and he didn't see a single game... Piper traveled with his mom to Spain to see his dad for 2 weeks R&R. There are sacrifices we all must make for our jobs. Is it fair? Is it fun? Do we enjoy not showing up to things? Of course not. But a roof over their head, food on the table, electricity that stays on, clothes on their body... if it means sacrifice, it means sacrifice.

And when it comes to our kids and their events... there is no mushy. Every Coastie feels those pangs of disappointment in themself when they know they can't make that baseball game or dance recital or choral concert. I understand banking is a different beast but it is an important facet to every day life. If they don't want to give you the time off, they are not required to grant it. I hope you are able to get it approved but if you can't you have a decision you need to make. It won't be easy but I hope it is the best one for you and your family, regardless of what it might be.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement