Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
GOP Primaries
Last Post 07 Mar 2012 10:53 AM by Iceman1978. 27 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
Gandler

--
06 Feb 2012 04:44 AM
    I am curious who is everyone's favorite candidate running for the Republican nomination (any why)?
    And would you like to see Obama have another term or would you prefer a Republican (or somebody else altogether)?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    06 Feb 2012 09:00 AM
    I'd like to see an Independent in office. The Republicans and Democrats are keeping this country in a pointless cycle of bickering for power.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MasterGuns2077

--
    06 Feb 2012 10:20 AM
    On principle, I like what Ron Paul represents, even though I agree with him on about 50% of the issues.
    Our country is too large for a parliamentary system of representation, which I like the best. But the two parties have basically become their own government institutions, and that's something that has to change.
    Honestly I'd be thrilled to death if the Tea Party and Occupy movement formed two new political parties. Maybe then a parliamentary system would be possible (for Congress only, I still feel that a president should be popularly elected) and the house/senate would be split between four rather than two parties. No way it could happen though, since Occupy movement doesn't want to actually do something that could really change things and the Tea Party is all too happy to have the Republican candidates eating out of their palms.
    Your passion for what you do will set you free.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Gandler

--
    06 Feb 2012 07:32 PM

Posted By MasterGuns2077 on 06 Feb 2012 11:20 AM
    On principle, I like what Ron Paul represents, even though I agree with him on about 50% of the issues.
    Our country is too large for a parliamentary system of representation, which I like the best. But the two parties have basically become their own government institutions, and that's something that has to change.
    Honestly I'd be thrilled to death if the Tea Party and Occupy movement formed two new political parties. Maybe then a parliamentary system would be possible (for Congress only, I still feel that a president should be popularly elected) and the house/senate would be split between four rather than two parties. No way it could happen though, since Occupy movement doesn't want to actually do something that could really change things and the Tea Party is all too happy to have the Republican candidates eating out of their palms.

I agree. Ron Paul is the way to go. Newt is probably one of my least favorite politicians. Mitt Romney is alright, but I disagree with him on some things.
    But Ron Paul is brave enough to challenge a status quo and say what he believes even if it is not popular with the GOP.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    06 Feb 2012 11:27 PM
    I am with Gears...

There also needs to be a spending cap on these campaigns...the money they are spending is crazy talk!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Iceman1978

--
    01 Mar 2012 08:18 PM
    I don't like either party right now.

The problem I have with the GOP is that they've been taken over by the religious right, which I consider to be one of the most dangerous, money-hungry, and corrupt group of people around. When I hear the tripe that comes from people like Pat Robertson I'm very thankful that we have a strong military to protect against all enemies, foreign and domestic. A lot of the churches, the mega churches in particular, are nothing more than money-making political organizations. Barry Goldwater accurately predicted what would happen when the GOP started pandering to the likes of Pat Robertson and the Christian Coalition.

We need people in the GOP who think like Barry Goldwater, William F. Buckley Jr., Milton Friedman and Ayn Rand if we really want to get back to conservatism.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    01 Mar 2012 09:42 PM
    +1 Iceman

Religion is a wonderful thing for those who want it in their lives. Those who choose to not have religion or choose a non-Christian religion in this country should have nothing to worry about. Rick Santorum's rallying for Church and State to collide goes against the 1st Amendment. All we can do is vote accordingly.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    02 Mar 2012 09:46 PM
    If Santorum wins the nomination and the election, this country could end up being an unsafe place for those like myself, that don't belive in any god or religion. It's hard enough when people assume that you have an evil-ness to you just becuase you believe in science and reason over gods and creation. Santorum cries about there being a "war on religion", but what he really cares about is the "war" on his religion. He could care less that Muslims have been racially profiled for the last decade or so. He could care less that Athiests are prevented from running for public office in many states. He is a despicable human being that only cares about himself, and not the best interests of this country. A typical politician.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Iceman1978

--
    03 Mar 2012 11:50 AM
    Gears: It's why I'm thankful we have a Constitution and a military to protect it from people like that.

Cooch: Mixing religion with politics is always a very dangerous combination. Political disagreement is one thing. I have friends who are liberal, conservative and libertarian. We may not agree on everything, but we respect each others right to their opinion and agree to disagree. When you disagree with the religious right however, you are not just of a different political persuasion, you are considered immoral, and in the eyes of some, you are evil.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    03 Mar 2012 07:19 PM
    It's why I'm thankful we have a Constitution and a military to protect it from people like that.

For now. The way things are going I wonder if that will always be the case.

This is going to be an interesting election to say the least. JFK was Catholic, but assured everyone his religion and his Presidency were two separate entities. From what I've seen from Santorum his religion and his politics are drive by one another.
    Iceman1978

--
    03 Mar 2012 08:49 PM
    Obama will probably get re-elected.

I've made a lot of predictions with regards to election outcomes, the economy, and international politics over the years, and most of the time I've been right. I double-majored in business and economics, and have also studied philosophy, history, sociology and geography. I predicted as early as 2005 that the economy was heading for disaster and people looked at me like I was crazy. I could be wrong, but I just don't see any of the current candidates from the GOP as strong enough to beat Obama.
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    03 Mar 2012 08:54 PM
    'Anyone but Obama 2012' is who I want elected. Romney is my #1 followed by Santorum. Ron Paul has his place in politics but not as President. Newt...I'd rather not vote than vote for him or Obama.
    Iceman1978

--
    03 Mar 2012 10:11 PM
    E:

I kind of liked John Huntsman.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    03 Mar 2012 11:58 PM
    I am not registered with any political party, and very much vote the candidate, not a party.
    I cannot support the current president. I think he's destructive, and has little understanding of foreign policy, and more pity than respect for the military. Which is odd, and kind of disturbing.

This is the most disappointing field of Republican candidates in decades. I will hold my nose at the polls no matter who is left.

And Ron Paul scares me. His intentions may be good, but many of the people who follow him have near-anarchist political views. Where I live, there are routine encounters with 'sovereign citizens'....they are the latest in far-beyond-right-wing beliefs. They make up their own government, 'nullify' laws they don't like, decline to pay taxes or get driver's licenses, and claim the right to commit violence upon anyone who infringes upon their 'freedoms'. They have killed at least 6 law enforcement officers in the last 8 years. And they love Ron Paul.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Gandler

--
    04 Mar 2012 01:10 AM

Posted By KD on 04 Mar 2012 12:58 AM
    And Ron Paul scares me. His intentions may be good, but many of the people who follow him have near-anarchist political views. Where I live, there are routine encounters with 'sovereign citizens'....they are the latest in far-beyond-right-wing beliefs. They make up their own government, 'nullify' laws they don't like, decline to pay taxes or get driver's licenses, and claim the right to commit violence upon anyone who infringes upon their 'freedoms'. They have killed at least 6 law enforcement officers in the last 8 years. And they love Ron Paul.

Lots of criminals love Obama and lots of criminals love many other Presidents and candidates, just because bad people support somebody does not mean he is a bad person. I hear a lot of criticism of Ron Paul, but I never heard anyone say that people kill policemen in the name of Ron Paul? and even if they did, that says nothing about Ron Paul or the vast majority of his followers(that is like basing all Muslims on the few psychopaths who bombed people "in the name of Islam").
    And Paul's definition of freedom is following the constitution and lowering taxes and cutting spending. I know a lot of Ron Paul supporters and I am one myself and I have never met anyone like you describe. (most people I know who don't pay taxes are Obama supporters), and even if there are people like that who support Ron Paul they are in the minority, and there are crazy and deranged people on all sides of the political spectrum.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    04 Mar 2012 09:04 AM
    Agreed, that crazy comes in all flavors, and also that no one has a corner on obnoxious. I am pleased that you have never met the sort of people I described. I hope you don't. I have yet to see any good come from it.

Unfortunately for Mr. Paul's credibility, he will be a keynote speaker this month at a conference hosted by a bogus 'law school' that is a cover for sovereign ideology. His motives may well be pure, and he may be unaware of the ties to this movement. In that case, his staffers really need to get on their research, and protect their man a little better.

Still having a very hard time wrapping my head around the level of military cuts Paul calls for, (among other things) and substantial cuts for DHS as well. Which means, of necessity, to the CG.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Gandler

--
    04 Mar 2012 01:15 PM

Posted By KD on 04 Mar 2012 10:04 AM
    Still having a very hard time wrapping my head around the level of military cuts Paul calls for, (among other things) and substantial cuts for DHS as well. Which means, of necessity, to the CG.

His military cuts will not actually effect anyone's job (like Obama's cutbacks did). But he wants to cut back on unnecessary military aid to other countries, and oversized embassies in other countries.

And he does want to disband the DHS, which will mean (if he gets his way) that the CG will have to be moved somewhere else (but it already has moved around departments quite a bit over the last 200 years, so I don't think that would be a big deal). his view is that DHS just creates unnecessary bureaucracy for the agencies under it that it hinders more than it helps most agencies under it, and that it is an unnecessary spending.

And he has twice as many Active Duty military members supporting him than all the other candidates combined
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    05 Mar 2012 05:34 PM
    I like where Ron Paul is going with foreign aid to other countries. I can see that we need to aid other countries but man we might as well just write checks to every country in the world...
    It's like mission trips. Why does a church need to go out of the country to help people...find the nearest town that's big....there is a mission trip right there for you. We have enough poverty and a slew of other things to take care of with ourselves.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    05 Mar 2012 08:15 PM
    Since the RNC won't nominate Newt or Paul, I've never really considered them as viable candidates. Santorium is flat out scary, but is the one with the "Republican" values. Romney is a flip-flopper, and dare I say it, not a Republican? The problem is, and E, I feel like I can say this to you , people who say "Anyone but Obama". It's split the GOP over which candidate. Santorium is more Republican, Romney is more electable sinc he is more moderate. The question is who do Republicans want? Clearly, they don't know. If only they could have gotten a decent candidate from the get-go. I dare say this group of men is quite....entertaining.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    05 Mar 2012 09:02 PM
    Romney reminds me of John Kerry. He will get the nomination for the sake of having someone on the ballot, but has no real chance of winning. I'm convinced that change doesn't come from the executive branch anyway. Real change has to start in the legislative branch. These days, a President is simply a figurehead and an extended secretary of state. Do your duty by voting for whomever you want in congress and at your local government level. Your political party makes no difference to me. I have some respect for a handful of politicians out there, and some have a (D) and some have an (R) after their names. No big deal to me. Their character is what is important.
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    06 Mar 2012 04:52 PM
    Cooch, I agree with you.I was talking with someone about the GOP candidates and they asked what I was. I told them I am American and will vote for who can best serve our country... A president can only do so much. I like Santorum and feel that both candidates would and hopefully will do a better job than Obama. I wish Gingrich and Paul wouldn't have competed and Romney and Santorum wouldn't fight like little kids...but politicians are politicians and this is seen in every race across every party. I talked with my exchange students about how they do elections and the elections are ran so much better over there....you really won't see candidates slashing other candidates and tearing their own party members down...they campaign for what they can offer the nation. Crazy concept of not tearing down a fellow party member or another American. I wonder what other countries think of a President with all the negativity of an election.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    06 Mar 2012 06:04 PM
    I'm not a Santorum fan simply because he wants to live in a country where church and state are combined as one. All we need to do is take a look at the middle east to realize how well that works out. As a non-believer, I want to be left alone. There are already too many laws on the books that are based on religious doctrine. I don't feel like we need to make more. I have nothing against those that choose to believe in something, I just don't need it to have any impact on my life whatsoever.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    06 Mar 2012 06:50 PM
    +1 Cooch

I agree. If the State and Church want to come together then the Church should start paying taxes. My guess is the national debt would get some much needed relief. The Constitution specifically states the Fed will not recognize a religion, It should stay that way. I'm not quite on the same end of the spiritual spectrum as Cooch, but I do think respect should be extended to everyone despite their beliefs.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Gandler

--
    06 Mar 2012 08:37 PM
    I too am an atheist, and I dislike many aspects of religion (I am actually very pleased and impressed to see that so many people here speak openly about atheism, on most military related forums you get called all sorts of bad names for bringing up atheism). But all the GOP candidates (and Obama) are Christians. ( except perhaps Mitt Romney who is a Mormon, though I suppose it is arguable by some if Mormonism is considered a Christian sect or not, but that's not really relevant).

I don't like Santorum at all, but not because he is Christian (though he does make some really stupid claims about that: like that colleges are "indoctrinating" kids into atheism. and "proves" his argument by showing that more college graduates are atheists than nongraduates. but that is typical Evangelical speak, so I could overlook that if he is a good candidate). I don't think religion should play a factor into politics. I like how in many countries in Europe nobody talks about religion or sexual orientation during elections, but here, if an atheist ran for president I guarantee almost all questions to him would be about his faith (or lack of it) (and if a gay guy ran, the nation would erupt and people would talk nothing about him except that he is gay. I guarantee a gay man man could run for president and his main talking point could be something absurd like "we need to invade Canada" and the main thing that the media would talk about is the fact he is gay and completely ignore his wild views). In Europe (many countries there at any rate) debates focus strictly on politics and policy, and their candidates political record, which is how it should be here.

But what truly disturbs me about Santorum is his record of massive spending (he has a very liberal economic record) and his (in my opinion) irrational fear about Iran, and that Iran is the greatest threat in the world.

I like Ron Paul for many reasons, but on the faith issue, when asked in a debate a couple months ago how much role his faith would play in Presidential decisions (the question and answer may have been worded differently I am typing this all from memory), but he said some along the lines "faith guides how I treat other people, but when it comes to politics the constitution and my oath of office are my guide".

I think regardless of what you believe or don't believe that religion should play no role in anyone's decision in running a country (separation of church and state). the founders made this very clear.
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    06 Mar 2012 09:21 PM
    just as Cooch said...the Executive Branch can't make too many big moves. So whether a candidate has a religious preference doesn't really play too much into it. I am a Christian and Romney is not but it doesn't stop me from voting. I look past things like religion and focus more on their past record, how they've voted if they've been in Congress or Executive Orders if they've been a Governor, etc.
    Iceman1978

--
    06 Mar 2012 10:49 PM
    What bothers me are people who will vote for a candidate based on a single issue. I'm going to go ahead and bring it up, and it's the abortion issue.

You can have a candidate who has a dismal voting record on so many issues. They have no problem with trade agreements that make it easier for our manufacturing base to be outsourced (to Communist China), they don't believe in having a minimum wage, they want to gradually strip away the enforcement capability of the SEC and EPA, they consider a 400% increase in gas prices in less than five years to be free enterprise at work and not worth calling for a Congressional investigation into price-fixing or market manipulation, had no qualms about the bailouts for Wall St and Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac but thought GM ad Chrysler should have been left to go broke (which would have meant two million jobs gone in the first 90 days), and (this is what makes my blood boil more than anything) continued to call for additional tax cuts when our country was at war. I'm sorry, but when you're at war, you raise taxes, plain and simple. You can't put the war effort just on the military. Everyone should be expected to contribute in one way or another.

Yet because these politicians say they are "pro-life" people will completely ignore all of the above and blindly follow them.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    07 Mar 2012 09:20 AM
    Iceman what you're describing could be called voter fatigue. There are so many issues to follow on both foreign and domestic policies, etc, etc, etc. Most people don't feel affected by bailouts or jobs being outsourced when thier job isn't the one being outsourced. Abortion is a hot topic though. It gets people's attention, and it's easy to debate at the kitchen table. So, why wouldn't a politician take a strong stand one way or another on that issue so they can gain the votes then pass the rest of their agenda with relative ease once they're in office.

@Gandler I've spent almost my entire life in an around the military (my dad is a retired Marine). If I've learned one thing in all this time it's this.. A person's beliefs, skin color, ideas, political affiliations, favorite color, sexual orientation, preferred musical selections, etc, etc don't define who a person is, a person's actions define who they are. We can disagree on everything when it comes down to brass tax all that matters is that you're a decent human being.
    Iceman1978

--
    07 Mar 2012 10:53 AM

Posted By Gears on 07 Mar 2012 10:20 AM

@Gandler I've spent almost my entire life in an around the military (my dad is a retired Marine). If I've learned one thing in all this time it's this.. A person's beliefs, skin color, ideas, political affiliations, favorite color, sexual orientation, preferred musical selections, etc, etc don't define who a person is, a person's actions define who they are. We can disagree on everything when it comes down to brass tax all that matters is that you're a decent human being.

Very well said!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement