Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
A-School: What to Bring?
Last Post 17 Jan 2013 10:26 AM by Gears. 22 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
jabberwookie

--
21 Feb 2012 09:37 PM
    So, I know that you have to have a full seabag and you can also bring laptops, civilian clothes, etc etc. when you report to A-School, but I have a couple other questions about what to bring:

I read that you have to bring your own towels. Do you/should you also bring your own sheets?

I've heard from MKs and BMs at my station that they got in trouble for not wearing Super Boots (or some other steel/composite toe boot) while at school. Is this necessary for OS school or can I get some perpetually shiny corfams?

Finally, does anyone have any general suggestions on what to bring and what not to bring?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    21 Feb 2012 09:56 PM
    Sheets will be provided. However, you should bring an extra blanket. The ones that they have there aren't the warmest. If you read the uniform manual, superboots are not a requirement. The boots that you wear just have to meet the guidelines in the manual. As long as the minimum safety/appearance requirements are met, you will be fine. I will caution you on the corfam boots though. They scuff easily, and at that price, not worth it. In my personal opinion, they don't look good either. If you are looking for a good looking pair of boots, I wear the Corcoran side-zip jump boots. They come pre-shined, and all you need to do is upkeep it. I got them through the working person's store (online). I paid a little over $100, but they've lasted more than 4 years so far, and all I need to do is replace the sole and they will be as good as new.

Bring a car. Yorktown sucks without one. Other than that, just bring your basic entertainment needs and a positive attitude for school.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    21 Feb 2012 11:55 PM
    Cooch, I think he is going to Petaluma.

Bring a FULL seabag (they checked to see if we had our trenchcoats, so seriously, A FULL SEABAG). You will almost need a laptop. You will also need a usb drive. If you don't have one, you can get one later on. I brought my own bedsheets, because I wanted my own thankyouverymuch. The bed size is XL twin. You can wear corfram dress shoes though, I think those look sharp.

Weather in Petaluma gets chilly at night (I was there for all of summer and it regularily got down to 40 or so at night), so bring a jacket/sweatshirt or two. Also, lots of PT gear. Not necessarily CG stuff, but unless you really want to put on jeans everyday for breakfast, I'd suggest PT gear. Guys always wore basketball shorts and girls wore yoga or sweat pants. No one wants to get dressed at 8am on Saturday. You will have limited storage space, but I had a seabag, and 2 medium sized suitcases and found room for everything. Stored some extra stuff in my suitcases under my rack. I was in Petaluma a while, went there straight after boot and was just clueless about what I needed and well, about life outside of bootcamp really! I didn't need nearly that much. Think of it as a college dorm. Because that's what it's like. A lot of the girls got things like this: http://www.organize.com/can6shelswea.html because we had maybe 3 drawers. Some of the "closets" have drawers in them, some do not, so that really helped with the space issue. Each room will have an ironing board and iron. You will need your own laudry soap though. If you have food in your room, it must be kept in a plastic storage container. It can be a tupperware thing, or one like this: http://www.decorativestorageboxesnow.org/images/plastic%20storage%20containers%2001.jpg. Petaluma has a rat problem, sorry to say.

There is a free movie library (with a lot of movies, including all the new releases) next to the coffee shop. You can choose to pay $25 for your own internet, or use the common spaces. I think it's $30 for cable if you really want to. Indoc week you will not be allowed to leave base, so make sure you have everything you need by Sunday night. Good luck! I loved a-school. I would go back in a heart beat.\

Oh, and bring your car. There is a libo van, but seriouly. Car.  You are in Napa/Sonoma.  Get some friends together, get a DD, and taste so free wine all day.  Go to San Fransicso.  Go...all over.  Libo van only goes to Walmart.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    24 Feb 2012 08:21 PM
    the best thing i had at a school besides my laptop was my sleeping bag because our beds had to be perfectly made every day
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    24 Feb 2012 08:34 PM
    If you're going to petaluma they also have sea bag lockers where you can put stuff. I brought a my 40 inch flat screen, computer, snowboard, loads of junk and was able to fit it. Cell phone service sucks so I had internet so I could use skype and what not. There is free internet if you're room is close enough to the common spaces and you can pick it up in your room. The libo van goes to the movie theatre/target, downtown petaluma/bar, and the downtown bus express place. If you have a car I would bring it. Tupperware is a must for food. They have room inspections there and you can get in trouble for it. They have random ones too so I'd try to just keep a clean area which isn't hard. The more gym clothes the better that's what I wore to the galley in the mornings and on the weekends.

#1 rule though...have a full seabag. You'll have to ask Amanda how they are with seabag inspections since I went to a different A school.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    24 Feb 2012 08:49 PM
    Colin went shopping today for some new stuff. Get ready for this... 3 long sleeve blue shirts, 3 short sleeve blue shirts, 2 pair of dress slacks, black leather gloves, white formal dress shirt, black bow tie and a couple of other things... Total at the exhange... $18.00!!! Yes EIGHTEEN dollars! He got to shop in the lucky bag locker. How amazing is that deal!!!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    25 Feb 2012 05:15 AM
    Lucky bag is the way to go! I think the only thing we didn't end up needing out of our seabag was the white shirt and bow tie/tie tab. The trench coat thing in the middle of summer was interesting. A lot of people didn't take theirs because they thought they wouldn't need it. Until they did. Oops. We only needed 1 short sleeved and 1 long sleeved shirt, but I would definitely bring 3. Because if your class messes up like some other class I know, you have to wear your Trops to class everyday for 2 weeks. With combo cover. And the rest of us will laugh at you.

And E, don't remind me how bad the cell service sucked. I have AT&T, and I don't care if who else likes them or not, I have never had an issue. I had 4 bars in the middle of nowhere Texas. But in Petaluma I had to stand on my left foot and pat the top of my head with the right hand while standing next to the window in my room to get service. People with Tmobile though had great service. I still say the ET school needs to build a cell tower. What else do they do all day anyway? :p And I think I doubled my collection of gym clothes in Petaluma. I think people must have thought I only owned workout clothes. Jeans? Pft. Sweats all the way!

Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    25 Feb 2012 08:11 AM
    We have Tmobile... they get good reception there? Wow! That's impressive!! I'll have to remind Colin about the PT gear but I think he even goes to the gym in jeans... he isn't a PT gear kinda guy unless they tell him to put it on. LOL
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    25 Feb 2012 03:05 PM
    A cell tower was going up as we left. If you have AT&T you can call and get mad and they'll send you an AT&T Microcell...or you can just go to the closest AT&T store that offers them and they're 150$ and they'll give you $50 off instant and a $100 mail in rebate. It plugs into the internet and you get full bars. I think the only thing I miss about Petaluma is the omelets/scrambled eggs...nothing else.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    25 Feb 2012 08:04 PM
    Blast, wish I would have known that. I heard about the cell tower, but was told that was all scuttlebutt.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ojrivera

--
    29 Feb 2012 10:49 PM
    AT&T is so bad in Horsley Hall you literally have to walk out near the lat/long to get a good signal, and at night that especially sucks with the monster racoons running around, oh and the velociraptor looking turkeys -__- lol, OldGuard when is your son reporting?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    01 Mar 2012 06:48 AM
    He gets to Petaluma on March 18th! He gets to Wisconsin TODAY! Yay! My baby is coming home!!

Velociraptor turkeys! LOL
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    NargilFenris

--
    01 Mar 2012 07:58 AM
    For those with AT&T go to the movie theatre, I got full bars right next to it and never had any issues. Why? I don't know but it worked. Also as someone else mention, a sleeping bag will do you wonders.
    If you were hoping for the A Team you will be sorry to know you got the F Troop.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    01 Mar 2012 01:29 PM
    Old Guard-enjoy your visit with your son and in the process see what he has to say about the "Nab"....lol!
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    01 Mar 2012 02:27 PM
    Absolutely!!!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ojrivera

--
    01 Mar 2012 07:23 PM
    Nice, we are the senior class now, so if he needs anything just tell him that the senior class leader (me) will help out with whatever they need while we are here.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    01 Mar 2012 10:11 PM
    ok what is Lucky Bag?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    01 Mar 2012 10:46 PM
    It is sort of a lost & found. Maybe like a donation place. Someone leaves the CG and gives their uniforms to the exchange or something like that & then another Coastie can pick stuff up for just about nothing. Evidenced by Colin's deal for uniform items.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    NargilFenris

--
    05 Mar 2012 09:19 AM
    The Lucky Bag is(in my opinion) the best place to buy uniform items if you don't mind used stuff. You get it right there and then and for a much cheaper price. The only problem I had with the one at Petaluma was finding time to get in.
    If you were hoping for the A Team you will be sorry to know you got the F Troop.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    05 Mar 2012 12:28 PM
    I think Colin said everything he got in the Boston lucky bag was all brand new and obviously from his total... dirt, dirt cheap!!! He did also spend about $350 on a bunch of other stuff that he bought brand new from UDC. Thank goodness for the savings from lucky bag on some things.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    05 Mar 2012 06:32 PM
    The one in Petaluma is stupid hard to get into. The MAA staff there only have it open during lunch or during school hours. Most stuff gets snatched up pretty quick. I wish I would have grabbed another Bravo jacket when I was there...I am wearing mine for the second time ever and it's near max. lol.
    abj925

--
    29 Dec 2012 09:55 AM
    I see Petaluma is mentioned on here, however, does anyone have any insight on what to bring to Yorktown during the winter? How is the housing, etc.? Thanks for your help, shipmates!
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    17 Jan 2013 10:26 AM
    Bring the same stuff for Yorktown. Winter can get cold, so bring warm stuff. If you're in A school you'll be living in barracks. Usually 2 to a room, I've been to some C schools with 4 to a room. It's been awhile since my last trip to Ytown, but I seriously doubt much has changed.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement