Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Submarine?
Last Post 09 Jun 2016 03:22 PM by Old Guard2. 18 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
treyyert34

--
27 Jun 2008 06:46 AM
    What Coast Guard cutter became known as the Coast Guard submarine when she sank in March of 1963 while in drydock at Bushey's Red Hook, Brooklyn?

Trey S.     Helping the community......one post at a time.

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    husband

--
    30 Jun 2008 11:45 PM
    USCGC Tamaroa

WMEC-166

:)

Pretty good story if anyone wants to hear it hehe

SN Husband
    USCGC Knight Island
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    21 Jul 2008 02:26 AM
    If anyone thinks that Tamaroa is just some obscure, irrelevant name, she was the cutter depicted in the movie "The Perfect Storm." She was also the first government ship on the scene when the Andrea Doria sank. Quite a career for quite a ship.<!-- Edit -->

Moderator Edit : 11/30/2008 10:10:45 AM GMT

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    XShipRider

--
    30 Nov 2008 09:11 AM
    TAMAROA was the ship but a 210' was used as a stand-in for the movie (I believe). I believe TAMAROA was already decommissioned when the movie was made.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    husband

--
    08 Jan 2009 12:26 AM
    The Tamaora was deconned when the movie was made, but when the actual perfect storm happened, it was still in service :)

SN Husband
    USCGC Ocracoke
    St. Petersburg, FL

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    XShipRider

--
    08 Jan 2009 08:33 PM
    They probably didn't want to risk the thing sinking for real during filming. That and a 210 looks sexier (ha ha).
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    WPFix

--
    19 Jan 2009 09:55 PM
    Wait, am I missing something here here? How can a ship "sink" while in "dry" dock?

Wayne

Future Coastie

Life long paintball player. Everyone needs a hobby!

Wayne
    Station Washington, Washington DC
    Graduated Lima-181, 29MAY09
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    19 Jan 2009 09:59 PM
    According to Wikipedia, an intoxicated seaman opened up the flood valves of the dry dock, filling it. The Tamaroa initially floated off the blocks she was resting on, then filled up with water because she was under repair, then sank to the bottom of the dock.<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 1/20/2009 2:41:14 AM GMT

Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    20 Jan 2009 04:48 AM
    Boy I bet that went over like a lead balloon!

I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    WPFix

--
    26 Sep 2009 11:05 PM
    Well, I first posted on this topic before I left for basic. I graduated back in May. Reading this now, I think the guy responsible for it, is the guy who gave my company our alcohol abuse class while in basic.

Wayne

Wayne
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    05 Oct 2009 11:43 AM
    Should i show thi spost to him??? i can if youw ant me to
    Lzemo

--
    30 Oct 2009 12:38 AM
    I surely can be wrong but didn't she sink more than once? One time while moored to the pier?
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    uberchris

--
    21 Nov 2009 04:04 AM
    wouldnt that seaman have been discharged for negligance on an infinite scale

Gravity brings me down....

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    uberchris

--
    21 Nov 2009 04:04 AM
    ?

Gravity brings me down....

jcmacdon

--
    30 Mar 2011 08:47 PM
    all I know is I wouldn't want to be said Seaman when his Chief found out
    hooligan

--
    06 Apr 2016 02:12 AM
    You are all correct, but the Tamaroa's sinking in the dry dock also raised a landmark legal question and finding about 'vicarious liability' which has become famous... The dry dock company sued for the damages to their dry dock. The Coast Guard replied they were not responsible for the damages as the crewman was not on duty and the Coast Guard was therefore not liable. (We are some cheap s.o.b.'s)
    A-ha the court said, and created the concept of vicarious liability, that is if you appear through your employees or agents and cause damage, you are liable. Coast Guard paid for the dry dock repairs. And, if you think I'm putting you on, look it up. We had a scrapbook in the Tam's wardroom of her with repair accesses cut in her hull, port side down and completely flooded up to the 03 deck, at a port roll 55 degree angle to the Gowanus canal water from stern to bow. Ugly. Uck. And to think, all this because a drunk seaman was tired of sleeping on a ship undergoing a gritty industrial overhaul in stinking New York City Brooklyn shipyard canal. I guess he needed a drink.
    RM2Mac

--
    07 Jun 2016 11:48 AM
    Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the Tamaroa loose about 3 feet or so after getting it stern shot off by a torpedo from a U-Boat during WWII.

While I was at Governors Island (RMA School) my friend was the QM3 on the Tammy. I use to visit him a lot and got to know many of the crew. I remember them telling me this story and the sinking story too. I remember around 1970, spring, the Tammy was pulling out, and the rudder stuck full port, causing the tammy to sideswipe the Rockaway or Spencer, hit the anchor, and then hit one of the 378 moored next to the other ships.

There are a lot of stories about the Tamaroa and the Half Moon, too many to list here.
    RM2Mac

--
    07 Jun 2016 11:48 AM
    When the Tammy was commissioned in the CG it was 201.6 Feet long. When it was built for the US Navy as Ocean going Tug, it was 205.6 Feet long. It was torpedo during WWII and lost a few feet of the stern.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    09 Jun 2016 03:22 PM
    Interesting history! I like that. Thanks for sharing...
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement