Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
USCG Books and DVDs
Last Post 22 Feb 2013 06:48 PM by Gears. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
prior2012

--
29 Feb 2012 10:15 PM
    As I wait for the panel to convene to decide how soon I get to become a member of the USCG (either this year or the next), I'm left with quite a bit of restless energy.  When I'm not working, during those moments in between activities, my thoughts shift back to the USCG and imagining myself on the job and doing the mission. This forum is great, because I feel like I get to vicariously experience being in the USCG through the stories and advice from others. And although I enjoy reading the forum here everyday in order to feel a slight sense of the inner workings and to act as a partial outlet for my enthusiasm, I'm looking for a more productive way to focus my attention.

I can't help thinking that there is something particular I could be studying, reading, or watching now as preparation in order to increase my knowledge and skills in the USCG, if I'm selected to come aboard.

Based on the collective experience of those who are currently serving, or those who have already served, are there any manuals, fictional or nonfictional books, or DVDs that you would suggest? The type of subject matter I'm looking for is anything from a manual on uniform wear and appearance, to a fictional action movie, to a nonfiction account of training, to a vocabulary list of boating/sailing terminology.

I've placed a few holds on related material through my local library and have scanned a few resources online, but any ideas you might have would be welcome and appreciated.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    29 Feb 2012 10:27 PM
    If you go to Amazon.com and search for CG you will find a various amount of things. Some are good, some are barely ok. There isn't much I don't like to read or watch... so just search it out. Never know what you might stumble into.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    scole561

--
    01 Mar 2012 04:54 AM
    I really enjoyed both Rescue Warriors and Character in Action. Great books!
    Bill Schweigart

--
    01 Feb 2013 11:33 AM
    I would humbly submit my own for your consideration: Slipping The Cable, a Coast Guard thriller published last year by Martin Sisters Publishing. It follows Kelly Sensor, the newest junior officer aboard the Sentinel, a Coast Guard cutter where a typical day at the office means lethal drug smugglers, treacherous storms, and dangers only the sea can conjure. But it’s when Kelly runs afoul of his vengeful captain, Aregood, that shipboard life truly becomes deadly. http://www.amazon.com/Slipping-The-...+the+cable
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    01 Feb 2013 11:55 AM
    Check out "Not Your Father's Coast Guard" as well. It will give you some insight into the lesser known missions of the CG.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    01 Feb 2013 12:00 PM
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    NargilFenris

--
    02 Feb 2013 11:58 AM
    I second scole561's opinion. Not the best writing but he covers a large variety of coast guard missions.
    If you were hoping for the A Team you will be sorry to know you got the F Troop.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JBjunior

--
    02 Feb 2013 12:28 PM
    Posted By Cooch on 01 Feb 2013 11:55 AM
    Check out "Not Your Father's Coast Guard" as well. It will give you some insight into the lesser known missions of the CG.

I agree with this.  I haven't read it but author came to talk to us and definitely got me intrigued.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    judoka64

--
    20 Feb 2013 02:45 PM
    I have been reading the book lifeboat sailors. Its a nonfiction book that is mainly about Boatswain Mates at small boats stations and more specifically surfmen. Its really good.
    Klondike11

--
    21 Feb 2013 03:51 PM
    I read "The Finest Hours" right before I went to boot camp. It's about a storm off cape cod in the '50's when two oil tankers broke in half on the same night! It's nonfiction but it reads like a novel, I couldn't put it down. One of the Coast Guard's newest cutters, the Bernard C. Webber, is named after the coxswain of the boat involved in the rescue.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    rfail1988

--
    22 Feb 2013 01:43 PM
    Two words - The Guardian.

;-)
    BaaBaaBlackSheep

--
    22 Feb 2013 06:24 PM
    *Gasp* He said the G-word ...
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    22 Feb 2013 06:48 PM
    Onionhead.. And, The Sand Pebbles.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement