Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
KONY 2012
Last Post 31 Mar 2012 09:24 PM by Gandler. 54 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
janelleyfish

--
07 Mar 2012 11:57 AM
    I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I am sharing this with everyone I can:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc

Everyone should watch this. It's a bit long, but it's well done. We are global citizens above all else, and crimes against humanity should be stopped. U.S. troops are now involved. Awareness = Action. If you want to find out more, visit kony2012.com.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Gandler

--
    07 Mar 2012 06:22 PM
    Its a very good cause (unfortunately I do not right now-have the time to watch the full 30 min video you posted but I am sure it was well done). And I agree we are all global citizens and crimes against humanity are horrible. Its something more people need to involve themselves in.
    I am the treasurer of the local rotoract club and we have been organizing a (hopefully) big event for Invisible Children this summer to raise money for them and draw attention to the issue.

I am aware there is some controversy regarding how invisible children spends their funds, and I am sure somebody on here will point that out as criticism. But in reality (not saying its right), there are issues with how all charities are managed and I am sure some money disappears here and there. But overall I think the organization is a very good cause and it addresses issues that really need attention.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    07 Mar 2012 07:10 PM
    It's a horrible tragedy. Reddit sums it up pretty well, it's a bit scathing so proceed with caution.

http://i.imgur.com/K3mgn.jpg
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Iceman1978

--
    07 Mar 2012 09:50 PM
    This guy sounds just as bad, if not worse, than Idi Amin.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    janelleyfish

--
    08 Mar 2012 08:27 AM
    I am in no way endorsing everything that Invisible Children says and does by posting this video. I just think it is an innovative way to call attention to this issue that has been going on long before the video was ever created.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    08 Mar 2012 01:19 PM
    Can someone other than Gears(no offense) give me the cliff notes version? I really don't want to invest 30 minutes into a video.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    08 Mar 2012 02:32 PM
    But gears version would be so much more entertaining to read cooch... :-) I checked it out or about 7 minutes...could not hang with it. The globe pictures were really cool looking.
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Iceman1978

--
    08 Mar 2012 03:29 PM
    Guy in Central Uganda who would make Jim Jones look like a diplomat wants to overthrow government, establish himself as supreme ruler, claims to have God on his side, has armed children who have been kidnapped and brainwashed to do his bidding, has murdered those who stand in his way, has been on US most wanted terrorist list for ten years, and is wanted by the World Court for crimes against humanity.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    08 Mar 2012 03:30 PM
    Joseph Kony: Leader of the Lord's Resistance Army. Kidnaps children, makes boys child soldiers, girls sex slaves. Makes them kill their parents and mutilate others. Must be stopped. Top fugitive in International Criminal Court. We want him arrested by end of 2012.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    08 Mar 2012 03:36 PM
    claims to have God on his side

Why do despots always default to that line?
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Iceman1978

--
    08 Mar 2012 07:50 PM

Posted By Gears on 08 Mar 2012 03:36 PM
    claims to have God on his side

Why do despots always default to that line?

Theocracy is one of the most effective forms of dictatorship because it plays upon people's belief in the invisible world and the fear of the unknown. If your government says, not only are we your government, but we now represent the one true religion, and you disagree; you are not just of another political persuasion. You are now evil. Political disagreement is political disagreement, but disagreement with a theocracy is heresy. It's also the reason theocratic dictatorships tend to survive longer than secular ones.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    08 Mar 2012 08:07 PM
    I think Iceman just blew my mind. Perfectly said.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Iceman1978

--
    09 Mar 2012 12:19 AM

Posted By Cooch on 08 Mar 2012 08:07 PM
    I think Iceman just blew my mind. Perfectly said.

Thanks.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    09 Mar 2012 07:06 AM
    Iceman,

That was a rhetorical question, but damn, that was one hell of an answer.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    janelleyfish

--
    09 Mar 2012 08:38 AM
    Excellent summary, FloridaGirl.

+1 Iceman
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    09 Mar 2012 04:08 PM
    The video does very little explain just how bad Joseph Kony's crimes are. I have a few issues with the video/movement, but honestly I am glad that after decades people finally know this man exists. So I just bite my tongue and let it go.
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    11 Mar 2012 07:05 PM
    I like the site where you have to point to where Uganda is on the map. Kind of sums it up. People can post videos of whatever and say hell yeah! to it but that really isn't helping the situation too much. Plus if you donate to that site only 30% goes to the people and they help support the Uganda military...and they aren't the nicest guys on the block either. Kony has been there for a while though. He's in textbooks already so people can't be totally shocked about this.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheLurker22

--
    11 Mar 2012 10:14 PM
    What do you guys think of the video that claims that Kony is dead already or hasn't even been in Uganda in 6 years or so? How does that affect the "movement" if it were true? Here's a link to one of the videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DO73Ese25Y Moral of the story: do your own research before blindly copying and pasting on social media websites.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    11 Mar 2012 11:39 PM

Posted By E on 11 Mar 2012 07:05 PM
    I like the site where you have to point to where Uganda is on the map. Kind of sums it up. People can post videos of whatever and say hell yeah! to it but that really isn't helping the situation too much. Plus if you donate to that site only 30% goes to the people and they help support the Uganda military...and they aren't the nicest guys on the block either. Kony has been there for a while though. He's in textbooks already so people can't be totally shocked about this.

+1 E. I'm more disturbed by the number of people who are shocked, SHOCKED this is going on. Uh, hello? Really? You live under that big of a rock? And like Lurker said, he hasn't been in Uganda for years. They think DR Congo. These kinds of social networking waves I suppose are good to raise awareness, but really it's just slack-tivism at it's finest. "Hey, I posted a video! I made a difference!" Eh......I don't think those kids actually care if everyone in the world posts this video, because posting it does nothing. I just hope that a few people see this and really do get involved and make a difference, that's why I try not to overly criticize too much. I do however criticize these movements when they are well know issues, like child abuse and breast cancer. "Hey girls, here's the secret code this year, do it to support breast cancer." Yes, I totally helped find a cure for breast cancer because I posted some color. I can feel good about myself today!

And E, I'm glad he's in textbooks but I made it through high school without ever getting a class on world history, which says a lot right there. It makes me truly sad.
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    12 Mar 2012 04:25 PM
    I don't know if he's in too many text books, at one point E wanted to be a high school history teacher/historian. Basically I liked watching history channel and wanted to somehow twist it into a job.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    janelleyfish

--
    13 Mar 2012 09:06 AM
    Do I agree with all of Invisible Children's calls for action? No. Do I think it's pathetic we live in a world where the only way to raise awareness about issues like this is by shoving viral videos down people's throats using Facebook? Yes. But at the end of the day, if nothing else, this video is raising awareness...and awareness leads to individual action, which ideally, results in positive change...even if it's only from the 0.0000000001% of the people that will act upon their feelings. It's easier to criticize than to be innovative - how else would you reach one billion people in just three days? Frankly, I'm glad to see the video spread - it gives me a glimmer of hope in humanity, that people still actually care, even if it's just a little, about other people.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    13 Mar 2012 01:13 PM

Posted By janelleyfish on 13 Mar 2012 09:06 AM
    Do I agree with all of Invisible Children's calls for action? No. Do I think it's pathetic we live in a world where the only way to raise awareness about issues like this is by shoving viral videos down people's throats using Facebook? Yes. But at the end of the day, if nothing else, this video is raising awareness...and awareness leads to individual action, which ideally, results in positive change...even if it's only from the 0.0000000001% of the people that will act upon their feelings. It's easier to criticize than to be innovative - how else would you reach one billion people in just three days? Frankly, I'm glad to see the video spread - it gives me a glimmer of hope in humanity, that people still actually care, even if it's just a little, about other people.

Which I did admit was a good thing. Apparently this is an issue that few people know about, so I'm glad more people are learning.

What really gets me off are similar campaigns for things like breast cancer and child abuse. Um. No.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    13 Mar 2012 01:34 PM
    What really gets me off are similar campaigns for things like breast cancer

Susan G. Koman raises quite a bit of money selling pink ribbons and such. I'd like to know what percentage of the money actually goes to research and support. It's the same with Invisible Children or any other major charity. Are these people trying to help or push their own agenda while lining their own pockets?
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    13 Mar 2012 01:47 PM

Posted By Gears on 13 Mar 2012 01:34 PM
    What really gets me off are similar campaigns for things like breast cancer

Susan G. Koman raises quite a bit of money selling pink ribbons and such. I'd like to know what percentage of the money actually goes to research and support. It's the same with Invisible Children or any other major charity. Are these people trying to help or push their own agenda while lining their own pockets?

I don't have a problem with Koman, or raising money for breast cancer. I have no problem with "Walk for the Cure" or anything else of that nature. I have a problem with the people on social media sites who think that by changing their status or picture they are actually doing something. They aren't. If you can find me one person who has the ability to access facebook that doesn't know about breast cancer, I will pay you. I also wish people would stop buying pink things. If you want to donate money to Koman, actually, you know, donate it. Do you really need to buy the pink coffee mug? Sure, $5 goes to Koman, but you paid $15. Why not donate $15? Now, if you needed a coffee mug in the first place, ok fine. But don't buy stuff you don't need. Just donate the money.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    janelleyfish

--
    13 Mar 2012 02:10 PM
    I agree with you, FloridaGirl.
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    13 Mar 2012 04:01 PM
    There is always a BM in need of a coffee cup. I read that 30% of Invisible Children's donations actually get through to the people. 30% sounds bad...but most similar agencies only get about 30% to the end person.
    Iceman1978

--
    13 Mar 2012 09:16 PM

I don't have a problem with Koman, or raising money for breast cancer. I have no problem with "Walk for the Cure" or anything else of that nature. I have a problem with the people on social media sites who think that by changing their status or picture they are actually doing something. They aren't. If you can find me one person who has the ability to access facebook that doesn't know about breast cancer, I will pay you. I also wish people would stop buying pink things. If you want to donate money to Koman, actually, you know, donate it. Do you really need to buy the pink coffee mug? Sure, $5 goes to Koman, but you paid $15. Why not donate $15? Now, if you needed a coffee mug in the first place, ok fine. But don't buy stuff you don't need. Just donate the money.

I feel the same way about people who slap a ribbon or flag on their vehicle and say they support the troops.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    13 Mar 2012 09:56 PM
    I feel the same way about people who slap a ribbon or flag on their vehicle and say they support the troops.

Exactly.. People are happy to buy some arbitrary trinket or post a link on FB, but won't actually lift a finger to offer help to someone in their own neighborhood (in my defense I volunteer with OneBrick once a month google it, it's a pretty awesome organization).
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    13 Mar 2012 11:59 PM
    Yay, I am in good company. Normally people get all pissy when I suggest they actually go out there and DO something. Lift a finger? Puh-lease. They have better things to do.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled programming. Sorry about the thread hack.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    14 Mar 2012 06:49 AM
    They have better things to do.

Damn right, like post my political ire on FB, but not actually vote in any elections.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement