Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
KONY 2012
Last Post 31 Mar 2012 08:24 PM by Gandler. 54 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
14 Mar 2012 07:27 AM
My pet peeve are the so called stars. I don't care what Angelina thinks or that Johnnie Depp doesn't like the President so he became an ex-patriot. I don't care they go to the Congo and see what's happening... When the cameras turn off and the new cause du jour pops up they'll forget all about the last thing they were trumpeting and they'll move on... So you know what... shut up. Look pretty in a movie, sing a song, do whatever it is you do and just shut up!

Side note - Colin dragged me to a concert once. (Well many times, but this particular concert.) It was Snoop Dog, The Used, Korn & Linkin Park, along with quite a few other C & D list bands. Well Snoop took the stage and he was singing and the kids were bouncing, having a good time. It was the year George Bush ran for his first presidency. Well Snoop says at one point "You know people ask me who I'm voting for!" Colin immediately starts to rub my arm "Go to your happy place mom, don't listen, just go to your happy place!" (He knows how much I hate artists preaching what I should do... just sing, that's what I'm here for.) I'm starting to growl a little. Snoop says "I tell them to vote for.... THE POWER OF SNOOP!" With that he broke into another song and the crowd really started bouncing and jumping. That was totally fine by me, even I started to bounce and ended up enjoying Snoop! Shocked the hell out of me!

OK, as Florida says... back to your regularly scheduled programming!
Sector NY, Staten Island
Trusted Member
Gears

--
14 Mar 2012 10:23 AM
Did it occur to anyone else that Kony looks an awful lot like Dillon (Carl "Action Jackson" Weathers) in Predator?
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
Iceman1978

--
14 Mar 2012 08:20 PM

Posted By Old Guard2 on 14 Mar 2012 08:27 AM
My pet peeve are the so called stars. I don't care what Angelina thinks or that Johnnie Depp doesn't like the President so he became an ex-patriot. I don't care they go to the Congo and see what's happening... When the cameras turn off and the new cause du jour pops up they'll forget all about the last thing they were trumpeting and they'll move on... So you know what... shut up. Look pretty in a movie, sing a song, do whatever it is you do and just shut up!

Yes. There are a lot of celebrities who threaten to leave the country if the election doesn't go their way. Barbara Streisand was another who said she would leave, as was Michael Moore. None are as bad as Sean Penn. He's one that I really wish would move overseas and stay there. What little respect I had for him disappeared when he made the favorable remarks about Hugo Chavez. It's one thing when Michael Moore takes on the US health care system and compares it to that of France. At least he addressed a legitimate issue with regards to the insurance industry. Sean Penn on the other hand, shows that he doesn't believe in free speech, which is a basic and fundamental human right. Freedom of speech is one of the basic foundations of what it means to be an American. Here's what he told The Guardian in 2010.

"Every day, this elected leader is called a dictator here, and we just accept it, and accept it. And this is mainstream media. There should be a bar by which one goes to prison for these kinds of lies." -Sean Penn

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/201...-venezuela

Other celebrities who admire Chavez are Danny Glover, a man who somehow believes that global warming caused the earthquake in Haiti; and Naomi Campbell, the poster-child for domestic violence.

Personally, if they want to emigrate I say let them, but they'll never really leave. People like that enjoy calling attention to themselves but it's always an idle threat. At the end of the day they know where their bread and butter is. They'll never admit it, but it was the American economic apparatus that made them rich.

Basic Member
Basic Member
Gandler

--
17 Mar 2012 05:17 PM

Posted By Iceman1978 on 14 Mar 2012 09:20 PM

Posted By Old Guard2 on 14 Mar 2012 08:27 AM

Yes. There are a lot of celebrities who threaten to leave the country if the election doesn't go their way. Barbara Streisand was another who said she would leave, as was Michael Moore. None are as bad as Sean Penn. He's one that I really wish would move overseas and stay there. What little respect I had for him disappeared when he made the favorable remarks about Hugo Chavez. It's one thing when Michael Moore takes on the US health care system and compares it to that of France. At least he addressed a legitimate issue with regards to the insurance industry. Sean Penn on the other hand, shows that he doesn't believe in free speech, which is a basic and fundamental human right. Freedom of speech is one of the basic foundations of what it means to be an American. Here's what he told The Guardian in 2010.

"Every day, this elected leader is called a dictator here, and we just accept it, and accept it. And this is mainstream media. There should be a bar by which one goes to prison for these kinds of lies." -Sean Penn

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/201...-venezuela

Other celebrities who admire Chavez are Danny Glover, a man who somehow believes that global warming caused the earthquake in Haiti; and Naomi Campbell, the poster-child for domestic violence.

Personally, if they want to emigrate I say let them, but they'll never really leave. People like that enjoy calling attention to themselves but it's always an idle threat. At the end of the day they know where their bread and butter is. They'll never admit it, but it was the American economic apparatus that made them rich.

I hear a lot of non-celebrites talk like that too. Just about Everyday I hear somebody say "if that law passes I am leaving America" about something or another. Probably the only reason people hear about celebrities saying it so much is because they are on camera 24/7.

And Michael Moore makes his living stirring political issues, so it makes sense that he does it.

people on TV/entrainment business make money on attention (views and ticket sales etc) so you have to remember they make money getting attention, and they will say what they need to, to draw attention to themselves, they might not necessarily believe what they say. Attention=money, even if it is negative attention (actually negative attention probably makes more money) and if everybody in America hates them, they are still watching them hence they are making money.
Basic Member
Basic Member
Gandler

--
24 Mar 2012 06:17 PM
Also, I was thinking about this earlier today. How come the American media never refers to Kony as a Christian extremist? He is the leader of the Lords Resistance Army. I guarantee if he was the leader of a Muslim army the media would be all over him and calling him a Muslim extremist and equating everything he does to religion. but when a Christian commits heinous acts in the name of Jesus everyone just skips the part where is he a Christian....
Trusted Member
E

--
24 Mar 2012 06:31 PM
As a Christian myself it's not my job/right/anything to challenge another persons faith...putting that out there what if he isn't a real Christian. Lots of people use faith/God in an incorrect manner and claim to have "God on their side". I don't think the Bible teaches of raping, killing, cannibalism, or murdering your parents. I'm pretty sure it says to honor your parents.
Basic Member
Basic Member
Gandler

--
24 Mar 2012 06:54 PM

Posted By E on 24 Mar 2012 07:31 PM
As a Christian myself it's not my job/right/anything to challenge another persons faith...putting that out there what if he isn't a real Christian. Lots of people use faith/God in an incorrect manner and claim to have "God on their side". I don't think the Bible teaches of raping, killing, cannibalism, or murdering your parents. I'm pretty sure it says to honor your parents.

neither does the Koran, but my point was if he was Muslim I would bet you anything he would be called "Muslim Extremist". Christian terror gets conveniently ignored by the American media (at least any mention of the Christian part), but if somebody is Muslim the media will automatically deem him a Muslim extremist, or even a Muslim terrorist.
Trusted Member
E

--
24 Mar 2012 07:26 PM
I also don't believe that "Muslim extremist" are Muslims.
Basic Member
Basic Member
Gandler

--
24 Mar 2012 07:44 PM

Posted By E on 24 Mar 2012 08:26 PM
I also don't believe that "Muslim extremist" are Muslims.

maybe not. but they consider themself one, and they use their religion to justify killing people and committing other heinous acts. Same with Christian extremists (I was simply pointing out that the media never mentions Christian extremists as committing their acts based on their faith, but will call any Muslim who commits a terror act a Muslim extremist).

My problem with religion is people will do things that are illogical because of the promise of a rich afterlife. Who would abduct children and force them to kill, or fly planes into buildings if they did not believe they had something waiting for them or some supreme God ordering them to do so? I don't think there has ever been an atheist suicide bomber.

because religion enforces that the afterlife is more important than your actual life and can be used to persuade young people to do suicidal things (look at all the young people that volunteered to fly planes into the WTC with promises of a rich afterlife, and most of them were healthy, well off {and some were very rich}, with families, and they threw away everything to commit a heinous act for false promises).
Trusted Member
E

--
24 Mar 2012 08:02 PM
I don't know anywhere in the Bible where it says doing good deeds will get you to Heaven. Here is a verse.
Ephesians 2:8-9New International Version (NIV
8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

But, people say in James that he says you can't have just faith but you need to have deeds also and that is where a lot of confusion is that you have to have good deeds but all James is saying is that saying you can't tell people you're a Christian while living a non Christian lifestyle.

In easy words...to "Get to Heaven" all you need to do is have Salvation. Asking God to come into your heart and asking for forgiveness for your sins. Doing good deeds will not get you further in Heaven that anyone else. Anyone who thinks that by doing good deeds will get them to Heaven needs to go talk with a Pastor and pick up the Bible.
Trusted Member
E

--
24 Mar 2012 08:11 PM
Even if Koney was a Christian, Catholic, Mormon, Muslim, Atheist, or Kool Aid Drinker it's not the focus on why people want him removed. I'm sure if you filled in the blank of Kony is a ______ with any religion it wouldn't change much of anything.
Basic Member
Basic Member
Gandler

--
24 Mar 2012 08:32 PM

Posted By E on 24 Mar 2012 09:11 PM
Even if Koney was a Christian, Catholic, Mormon, Muslim, Atheist, or Kool Aid Drinker it's not the focus on why people want him removed. I'm sure if you filled in the blank of Kony is a ______ with any religion it wouldn't change much of anything.

Exactly, I am not picking on a single religion. But rather religion in general. Religion encourages people to do illogical acts because they have been convinced that they will be eternally rewarded if they do so.

Posted By E on 24 Mar 2012 09:02 PM
I don't know anywhere in the Bible where it says doing good deeds will get you to Heaven. Here is a verse.
Ephesians 2:8-9New International Version (NIV
8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

But, people say in James that he says you can't have just faith but you need to have deeds also and that is where a lot of confusion is that you have to have good deeds but all James is saying is that saying you can't tell people you're a Christian while living a non Christian lifestyle.

In easy words...to "Get to Heaven" all you need to do is have Salvation. Asking God to come into your heart and asking for forgiveness for your sins. Doing good deeds will not get you further in Heaven that anyone else. Anyone who thinks that by doing good deeds will get them to Heaven needs to go talk with a Pastor and pick up the Bible.

If doing good deeds or bad deeds have no bearing on going to heaven, I don't understand how it encourages morality? Somebody could be a life long serial killer, rapist, murderer, child abuser, war criminal and repent at the last second and still go to heaven?
Trusted Member
E

--
24 Mar 2012 09:26 PM
The person can't say woops sorry for killing that person, they have to be truly sorry for this. Jesus already paid for everyone's sins. Again though, You have to accept Christ into your heart as your personal Lord and Savior and truly be sorry for the things you've done. When a person goes to Heaven he'll have to stand in front of God and all that persons wrongs will be known. The big part is they actually have to be sorry and want to repent.

Just like Kony is saying he is a Christian he is not. Just because a person blasts out last second that they want to be saved doesn't mean they are. They have to truly want/believe in it and not believe in it just for the benefits of everlasting life.

I don't know what illogical acts you're referring to. My brother has been to Haiti several times and has been to Africa several times for missions projects. Does he think he's getting a higher spot in Heaven...no. Is he trying to help people and spread Christianity through out the world....yes. You will not find any reference to killing, murdering, raping, etc. in a Quran you will find that people who do these terrorist acts killing people will not be allowed into Paradise. I don't know any religion that condones killing,raping, etc to "get ahead" and be "rewarded".

Have you ever gone to a Christian Church? There are lots of people who are confused on the basis of Christianity and there are lots of bad apples, as there are with anything in life, that skew the lines of what Christianity is really about and give people the wrong idea about having faith.
Basic Member
Basic Member
Gandler

--
24 Mar 2012 10:12 PM

Posted By E on 24 Mar 2012 10:26 PM
I don't know what illogical acts you're referring to. My brother has been to Haiti several times and has been to Africa several times for missions projects. Does he think he's getting a higher spot in Heaven...no. Is he trying to help people and spread Christianity through out the world....yes. You will not find any reference to killing, murdering, raping, etc. in a Quran you will find that people who do these terrorist acts killing people will not be allowed into Paradise. I don't know any religion that condones killing,raping, etc to "get ahead" and be "rewarded".

Illogical acts like flying planes into buildings, and throwing away your who life and family just because some crazy terrorist promised you eternal life. Do you really think any of the 911 suicide plane hijackers would have done that if they did not truly think God was on their side?

The hijackers were not crazy drug addicts on the street. Almost all of the hijackers came from wealthy families and were well educated, some were still in college, and law school. Why would they throw away everything if they did not have something waiting for them?

Just like Kony is saying he is a Christian he is not.

In his mind and the minds of his thousands of followers he is.

Have you ever gone to a Christian Church? There are lots of people who are confused on the basis of Christianity and there are lots of bad apples, as there are with anything in life, that skew the lines of what Christianity is really about and give people the wrong idea about having faith.

I have. My parents made me go to Sunday School and Church throughout my childhood, even though they never went themselves (they literally dressed me up and told me to walk to church, no joke, they never once went with me throughout my whole childhood, but every Sunday they forced me to go, it was kind of strange now that I think of it).

But most people there were nice and friendly, and I got confirmed and all that stuff. But now that I am older I do not believe in any religion. Not trying to offend you but this is how I see it, faith is believing in something without logic or proof. Maybe its because I am obsessed with science, but if something can't be proven or even have slight evidence of existing I am not going to believe it. Not to mention there are hundreds of religions around the world, almost all of them contradict each other and they all pretty much say "we are the only right ones, everyone else will have a bad afterlife if they do not convert to our religion".

Anyone could write anything and say it is a message from God. Look at the book of Mormon do you really think Joseph Smith found that and got a personal message from God or just wrote it himself for popularity and/or money?
Trusted Member
Gears

--
25 Mar 2012 09:30 AM
Gandler check out reddit.com/atheism you'll find a lot of interesting info there. And, I'm with you on the whole religion thing. I can't see myself being a part of an organization that serves only to fill its own coffers. The Pope just traveled to Mexico to the tune of millions of dollars. He could have built a hospital, a school, brought in some doctors.. Joel Osteen visited White Sox Stadium on the South Side of Chicago. The field sold out. Where did the profits go? To the Prophet I'm sure. The south side is a poor as it ever was. It's great people are helping out in Haiti or other disaster areas, but handing out Bibles and saying prayers isn't going to improve the situation. One pair of hands working will accomplish much more than 100 clasped in prayer, IMO.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
Trusted Member
Cooch

--
25 Mar 2012 09:40 AM
Gears, we share the same views on this subject. I have a lot of things to say on the subject, but I'll express them on a site other than this one. If anyone wants to discuss my views, feel free to send me a PM and we can do it privately. I welcome the discussion, but I tend to get carried away with it and I wouldn't want to offend anyone.
You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
Trusted Member
Cooch

--
25 Mar 2012 10:04 AM
I will say this though. Anytime there's a situation like this, you'll find Christians that say "oh, they're not real Christians" or "not all extremists are real (fill in the name of the religion here). Religious books (bible, Torah, Quran, etc) are all interpreted by billions of people, therefore I don't know that anyone knows what a true _____ should be. The bible as an example, has 66 books written by 40 authors in three different languages. It was first translated into English by hand in the 1300's, and then printed on a printing press a century later. For a book to be copied by hand for almost 3,000 years, I have to believe that the people making the copies could have made mistakes, mis-translated key words or phrases, or inserted their own beliefs entirely. There are great principles in these books, definitely. Love thy neighbor, don't kill people, etc, are fine principles to live by. However, how odd is it that during any major war, you have priests and clergymen on both sides of the war, blessing the troops as they go off to kill each other? The crusades were a blood bath over some real estate. Does the bible say "Thou shall not kill, unless they believe in another god or they have a piece of property that you really want"? No, it stops at "thou shall not kill". Therefore, we're all the crusaders not "real Christians". Is every soldier that has ever been sent into battle not a real ______ because they killed during that war?

If someone has faith, I have no problem with that. However, it can't be had both ways. And the bible makes plenty of references to rape, slavery, beating women, stoning, etc, that often get left out in a conversation about Christianity. in fact, all of the religious foundation books do this. My stance is that if you're going to preach to me about all the great aspects of your religion (whichever one it is), you have to also accept that there is plenty of bad to go along with it. There's just as much bad in every bible, Quran, or Torah as there is good.

As an agnostic atheist (one who doesn't believe in any gods, but also cannot prove or disprove the existence of any gods), I don't want to convert anyone to my way of thinking. It's not necessary for me to do so. However, in a country where we are told that we have the freedom of religion, and that there is a seperation of church and state, I just want to be left alone and not have laws influenced by the bible forced on my life. We can all agree that killing, stealing, beating people are all bad things. Yes, those rules are in the bible, but the bible didn't invent the concept that murder is bad. Personally, I am a pro life guy when it comes to the matter within my own household. However, a persons religious views shouldn't become law that dictates what a woman can and cannot do with her pregnancy. I would like the opportunity to run for public office here in NC, but unfortunately the state constitution prevents anyone that doesn't believe in god from running for public office. How's that seperation of church and state working out?

If we can all coexist in relative peace ad harmony, I'm all for it. Don't knock on my door asking me if I know about Jesus, and I won't knock on your door asking you if you know about science and reason. That's pretty much my thought process in a nutshell. I hope I didn't offend anyone with my words. That definitely wasn't my intent. I respect all of you on here, and a person's religious beliefs don't factor in to my opinion of their character.
Basic Member
Basic Member
Gandler

--
25 Mar 2012 11:16 AM

Posted By Cooch on 25 Mar 2012 11:04 AM
As an agnostic atheist (one who doesn't believe in any gods, but also cannot prove or disprove the existence of any gods), I don't want to convert anyone to my way of thinking. It's not necessary for me to do so. However, in a country where we are told that we have the freedom of religion, and that there is a seperation of church and state, I just want to be left alone and not have laws influenced by the bible forced on my life. We can all agree that killing, stealing, beating people are all bad things. Yes, those rules are in the bible, but the bible didn't invent the concept that murder is bad. Personally, I am a pro life guy when it comes to the matter within my own household. However, a persons religious views shouldn't become law that dictates what a woman can and cannot do with her pregnancy. I would like the opportunity to run for public office here in NC, but unfortunately the state constitution prevents anyone that doesn't believe in god from running for public office. How's that seperation of church and state working out?

The Federal Supreme Court ruled that states cannot enforce their laws that discriminate against atheists (many states have similar laws). So if you try to run and they prohibit you, you can sue the state for a whole lot of money.

But realistically speaking if you run and people know that you are an atheist I sadly doubt you would get much support (especially down south). Its sad but I don't think an atheist could ever get a whole lot of support in the political world, at least not currently. In one of the GOP debates Gingrich said "I would not be conformable with an atheist president" and the whole crowd cheered. And I think in a natiowide poll within the last 10 years more parents said they would be more uncomfortable with their child marrying an atheist than any other religion or type of person.

Which I find ironic because according to every major religion in America, everyone who does not believe in them, can not be saved (or whatever their religions equivalent is), so everyone who is not their belief goes to Hell, so in that regard atheists will be regarded no different than Hindus or Muslims in the afterlife. But somehow being an atheist is worse. I have many Christian friends, and many of them say "I have a lot more respect for people if they have faith in a God even if its not mine", but that mentality escapes me. How (according to their faith) is being atheist any worse than being a rival religion since in the end we will all go to Hell? It seems like people just want to see other people believe in faith even if its not theirs.
Trusted Member
Cooch

--
25 Mar 2012 11:29 AM
A NC state representative in Asheville, NC was removed from office for being an atheist. Whether the supreme court made a ruling or not, is irrelevant in that case.

I have plenty of friends of all faiths. None of them have ever belittled my way of thinking. In fact, we tend to have some good discussions on the matter. If they dismissed my opinion entirely and thought less of me as a person, well, they wouldn't be my friends I guess.
Basic Member
Basic Member
Gandler

--
25 Mar 2012 11:43 AM

Posted By Gears on 25 Mar 2012 10:30 AM
Gandler check out reddit.com/atheism you'll find a lot of interesting info there. And, I'm with you on the whole religion thing. I can't see myself being a part of an organization that serves only to fill its own coffers. The Pope just traveled to Mexico to the tune of millions of dollars. He could have built a hospital, a school, brought in some doctors.. Joel Osteen visited White Sox Stadium on the South Side of Chicago. The field sold out. Where did the profits go? To the Prophet I'm sure. The south side is a poor as it ever was. It's great people are helping out in Haiti or other disaster areas, but handing out Bibles and saying prayers isn't going to improve the situation. One pair of hands working will accomplish much more than 100 clasped in prayer, IMO.

thanks for the link I never heard of that site before but it seems interesting. I like how they specify being atheist simply means you do not believe in God(s) and that you can be religious and an atheist (Buddhism for example does not believe in Gods). I also, find it interesting how the religions who do not believe in Gods never have extremists (when is the last time you heard of a Buddhist suicide bomber). Because religions like that strictly focus on finding peace, helping people, and working hard, and bettering yourself, and they never encourage hate or even competitiveness of other religions or of nonbelievers. It seems like only religions who need to prove something to a God or Supreme being need to make others see their way.

But I also agree, with you about doing things as oppose to just praying and talking about doing things. Many people hold big rallies and talk and pray about fixing social issues, but few will actually get their hands dirty and try to solve problems.
Trusted Member
Cooch

--
25 Mar 2012 11:59 AM
While I don't think religion and extremism are mutually exclusive, I don't think that all extremists are religious either. Bad people do bad things sometimes. In some cases, they use religious doctrine to justify their acts. It's easier to promote hatred and hanous acts under the cloak of religion. However, I think that most believers are genuinely good people, same as non believers. I reserve the right to be wrong in my beliefs, as I may find out after my death. If that ends up being the case, I should be able to fall back on a lifetime of good acts and being kind to my fellow man. I guess it all comes down to whether or not the god(s) are vengeful, loving, spiteful, or understanding. That part is unclear.
Basic Member
Basic Member
Gandler

--
25 Mar 2012 12:02 PM

Posted By Cooch on 25 Mar 2012 12:29 PM
A NC state representative in Asheville, NC was removed from office for being an atheist. Whether the supreme court made a ruling or not, is irrelevant in that case.

Were they removed solely because they were an atheist? Or were they removed for other reasons and just happened to be an atheist? If they were removed only because they were an athesit and this was in the last 10 years (I think I forget exactly when the ruling was made)then your state violated a major discrimination law and the Rep can (and should) sue the state for a lot of money.

Posted By Cooch on 25 Mar 2012 12:29 PM
I have plenty of friends of all faiths. None of them have ever belittled my way of thinking. In fact, we tend to have some good discussions on the matter. If they dismissed my opinion entirely and thought less of me as a person, well, they wouldn't be my friends I guess.

I know a lot of Christians of various sects and one Quaker family (Quakers are my favorite type of Christians because they are always very polite and they keep their beliefs to themselves, and I have never seen them judge anyone, and they will never try to convert you or even talk about region in front of you). But I don't know any Hindus or Muslims (at least not that I'm close friends with). At my college there were a lot of Indians and Middle Eastern there on travel visa schooling, and I always assumed they would be Hindu and Islamic but they were all adamant atheists I found out after becoming closer with them which I found interesting (maybe because they were mostly medical and science students).

None of my friends have belittled me so to speak. And I never belittle any of them. And I am always respectful, if I am at somebodies house and they pray before eating I just pray with them I don't refuse or call them stupid or anything. But at the same time I am not afraid to say that I'm an atheist and will debate anyone who challenges me on it (you would be surprised how many people are really atheists but are afraid to speak about it because there are so many prejudiced religious people in America).
Basic Member
Basic Member
Gandler

--
25 Mar 2012 12:08 PM

Posted By Cooch on 25 Mar 2012 12:59 PM
While I don't think religion and extremism are mutually exclusive, I don't think that all extremists are religious either. Bad people do bad things sometimes. In some cases, they use religious doctrine to justify their acts. It's easier to promote hatred and hanous acts under the cloak of religion. However, I think that most believers are genuinely good people, same as non believers. I reserve the right to be wrong in my beliefs, as I may find out after my death. If that ends up being the case, I should be able to fall back on a lifetime of good acts and being kind to my fellow man. I guess it all comes down to whether or not the god(s) are vengeful, loving, spiteful, or understanding. That part is unclear.

There are bad people. And there are some people that are just down right psychotic. But there are not that many extremely bad people. But I was saying bad people can use religion to convince others to join them who would usually laugh them off as a nut, and in using religion they can get an army of followers (look at Kony, do you think his thousands of followers are inherently bad people? Or are they everyday people who are convinced they are doing God's work? Same with Bin Laden, were all of his followers bad people? or were they just everyday people he was able to convince to do Gods work and be eternally rewarded?)
Trusted Member
Gears

--
25 Mar 2012 01:00 PM
Quakers are my favorite type of Christians

Quaker is my favorite oatmeal endorsed by America's Grandfather. Also,diabeetus!

I agree evil has always existed in all forms. But, I think crimes take on a whole new level of depravity when religion or God(s) are invoked as a justification. Killing, cleansing, kidnapping, stealing money, molesting children under the umbrella of "God's will" is wrong. But, it's the easiest way to convince people to swing their moral compass in a new direction.

On the other hand, religion can be a wonderful thing. When a church or religion is truly tolerant a church/synagogue/temple/etc can become a place of true salvation. A person who feels isolated from those around him/her may be able to find acceptance. A person who is contemplating suicide may be able to find a new reason to press on for one more day. But, only if the people involved are truly there to help and not just push an agenda or offer advice for a nominal fee. I consider myself spiritual rather than religious (but not in the worship trees, drink drano, and smoke my own pants way). I like to think helping those in need at any level, whether it be a cash donation, volunteering, or passing along kind words may right path to salvation. I could be wrong but so far it's working for me. Or, you could submit to Calvinism... You're damned if you do, you're damned if you don't.. He certainly simplified things.
Basic Member
Basic Member
Gandler

--
31 Mar 2012 08:24 PM

Posted By Gears on 25 Mar 2012 02:00 PM
Quakers are my favorite type of Christians

I agree evil has always existed in all forms. But, I think crimes take on a whole new level of depravity when religion or God(s) are invoked as a justification. Killing, cleansing, kidnapping, stealing money, molesting children under the umbrella of "God's will" is wrong. But, it's the easiest way to convince people to swing their moral compass in a new direction.

Exactly. There are evil people and downright psychopaths everywhere. But when they adopt religion to get followers it proves effective. If I was a terrorist and said "come and blow yourself up for me" how many followers do you think I can get? But if I said "come and blow your self up for God and you will personally be rewarded in the afterlife" it would be a much more effective recruiting device.

People are easily manipulated by charismatic speakers (look at Hitler) who can get masses riled up over an ideals and religious promises.

The thousands (maybe millions) of people who join what are internationally looked at as terror organizations in Africa and the MidEast are not psychopaths (some few may be but not most), but they are everyday working people lured in by false promise of serving directly for God and doing his bidding. And if you grow up struggling to eat, in a poor war torn country and some compassionate, well spoken man comes and tell you to join him in Gods army and join him in the afterlife you will probably be inclined to join him.

I know religion can have good influences. And has done some good deeds over the years. But as an atheist I don't think doing good deeds just to please a God is a good mentality. I think it is better to want to do good for the sake of making the world better. And overall throughout history I think that it is almost indisputable that religion has done more harm than good as far as historical wars and hindering scientific development.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement