Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Need Some Help
Last Post 03 Apr 2012 12:38 PM by Looking2Serve. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Looking2Serve

--
07 Mar 2012 02:09 PM
    Like most, if not all, on this site I am looking to sign up with the Coast Guard. My final question comes down to going all the way with Active Duty, or Reserve. I was looking to get some help and see if you guys could help me out a little, because so far this site has been the most helpful.

Now I was looking to possibly do the Reserve because I have a fantastic paying job that I was able to get with only a few years of college under my belt. The job is basically something I would of applied for out of College so thats why I stopped going and now currently work full time. Now with my company what do I have to inform them of if I sign up to do the Reserve (if I even can get through it all to become a Coast Guard Reserve)? Will I still be able to work here or do I have to find employment else where closer to the base I would be working at? My job is here in Orlando, Florida.

The other option I was going with would be to shoot for Active Duty full time Coast Guard. I believe that me working at a desk M-F 8am-5pm is just not doing anything for me. I believe that I can do better for myself and my Country by signing with the Coast Guards. I currently am living with my girlfriend of 2 years and so if I make it through all the tests and BC and get shipped off to Kodiak or somewhere like that what happens with that? Can we still have a place together up there? She has been more than understanding but because I care so much I would like to find this out.

I just want to thank all that reply to this because any input is better than none. I have many more questions but these are some I have right now. I know that some of these questions are something so far in the future that my first worry should be to even make it to Boot Camp.
    Trusted Member / Recruiter
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    JBraz

--
    19 Mar 2012 05:08 PM
    Hmm I saw no one ever answered your questions, sorry bout that.

Unfortunately the CG does not make any concessions for a girlfriend. They're more than welcome to move to where ever you're located as it's a free country, but with that said they are ineligible to live in Coast Guard housing. If you're required to live in the barracks then you will get no basic allowance for housing (BAH or housing pay) either. So if financially she can support herself go for it, if she can wait until you're out of the barracks and say in an apt in town then that would work as well. If your relationship progresses and you're married then housing becomes eligible as barracks are only for the single guys.

I always tell my applicants if you're thinking about active then usually that's the way to go because you wouldn't be thinking about it if it wasn't. Going from the reserves to active can sometimes be nearly impossible.
    USCG Recruiter ~My destiny is to help others fulfill their destiny~
    Looking2Serve

--
    20 Mar 2012 01:37 PM
    Thanks for the reply JBraz! I was getting a little worried there myself with no replies . I will most likely end up going with active duty because your 100% correct in your thinking with that.

Another quick question if you may be able to answer it, but if I go with the choice of reserve what happens with my current job? Do I keep it or does the Coast Guard help me transfer to a new one, and will I be able to stay somewhere in Florida or transfered to anyone of the Districts?

Thanks again for the reply!
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    25 Mar 2012 08:40 AM
    If you opt into the Reserves you'll be drilling at a unit in the Orlando, FL area. The goal is to keep your commute for your drill weekend under 75 miles. If you choose a unit farther than that you'll have to finance the travel. You'll be able to keep your current job.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    big_dumb_monkey

--
    26 Mar 2012 02:06 PM
    Posted By Looking2Serve on 07 Mar 2012 03:09 PM
    Like most, if not all, on this site I am looking to sign up with the Coast Guard. My final question comes down to going all the way with Active Duty, or Reserve. I was looking to get some help and see if you guys could help me out a little, because so far this site has been the most helpful.

Now I was looking to possibly do the Reserve because I have a fantastic paying job that I was able to get with only a few years of college under my belt. The job is basically something I would of applied for out of College so thats why I stopped going and now currently work full time. Now with my company what do I have to inform them of if I sign up to do the Reserve (if I even can get through it all to become a Coast Guard Reserve)? Will I still be able to work here or do I have to find employment else where closer to the base I would be working at? My job is here in Orlando, Florida.

The other option I was going with would be to shoot for Active Duty full time Coast Guard. I believe that me working at a desk M-F 8am-5pm is just not doing anything for me. I believe that I can do better for myself and my Country by signing with the Coast Guards. I currently am living with my girlfriend of 2 years and so if I make it through all the tests and BC and get shipped off to Kodiak or somewhere like that what happens with that? Can we still have a place together up there? She has been more than understanding but because I care so much I would like to find this out.

I just want to thank all that reply to this because any input is better than none. I have many more questions but these are some I have right now. I know that some of these questions are something so far in the future that my first worry should be to even make it to Boot Camp.

Do you have to tell your employer - Yes.  It is called an notice of military service.  PM me and I can shoot you a form letter.  You have two options tell the boss before you jump through all the hoops OR wait until all the hoops are hopped and the recruiter says that you are a go for DEPOT.  I waited.

Girlfriend=no wife=non-dependent.  If you go full time your gonna have to marry her to have her move and insurance etc... paid for and then she is going to want to move to which ever far flung reach you end up at.

Reserve = stay at home with the job and snuggling up with the current GF
    FT Active = A wish list that may get you sent to Kodiak, AK in a radio station snuggling up with someone that is not your GF.

These questions are not that far in the future.

-The Monkey

Looking2Serve

--
    01 Apr 2012 05:38 PM
    Quick question, do you know what they offer here in the Florida area for Reserve? Like what types of drills or job spots they would have me at?
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    01 Apr 2012 06:29 PM
    Your recruiter will have a list of current openings in the area. To understand the types of units, this link will help.

http://uscg.mil/top/units/
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Looking2Serve

--
    03 Apr 2012 12:38 PM
    Posted By chukles on 01 Apr 2012 07:29 PM
    Your recruiter will have a list of current openings in the area. To understand the types of units, this link will help.

http://uscg.mil/top/units/

Thanks for the help!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement