Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Any tips?
Last Post 12 Mar 2012 07:33 PM by Cooch. 20 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
coreyshaw

--
08 Mar 2012 12:37 PM
    Hello all! It's been a while. Still working on getting the weight off, but my focus has changed from enlisted to officer. I have decided to go back to school this fall and get my degree. I plan to apply to OCS once I get my degree. Seeing as I already have a little school under my belt, it'll probably take about 3 years.
    I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to boost my resume to make myself very competitive when it comes to applying, aside from a good college GPA. 
    I was planning on joining the auxiliary while I'm in college to get some basic experience and get my feet wet. Anything else? I'm open to anything.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    08 Mar 2012 01:15 PM
    The GPA is definitely a great place to start. Your major will have some impact on selection as well. STEM degrees definitely carry more weight with the selection panels (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics). They don't guarantee selection, but they are more valuable than some other degree fields, both to the Coast Guard and to the civilian side. Your letters of recommendation go a long way, so definitely make sure that you have some good solid relationships with people that can write well and address your leadership abilities. If you are not the best interviewer, that would be something to work on since you have plenty of time. The aux experience may look really good, especially on your resume. One other way it may help is on your narrative. Your narrative is a two page paper that you use to address your goals and objectives in the Coast Guard. Being a part of the Aux will help you understand more about the CG which may translate into a better narrative.

Also, if you have three years left of college, take a look at the College Student Pre-commissioning Initiative (CSPI). You can learn more about it here: www.gocoastguard.com/cspi

No matter which route you take, good luck to you.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    coreyshaw

--
    08 Mar 2012 03:27 PM
    When it comes to officer specialties, do you pick/ does your degree have much to do with it. I'd LOVE to be a pilot but I hear the cutoff age for naval flight school is 26. Which rules me out. But how would I go about getting into a command/control position?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    coreyshaw

--
    08 Mar 2012 03:28 PM
    Don't know how that happened ha
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    08 Mar 2012 07:28 PM
    It's really kind of random at times. Your first assignment out of OCS has a lot to do with your point total at the end. Physical fitness and academics all have certain points that you can earn. The person with the most points generally gets one of their higher picks, and so on down the line. Sometimes a degree comes into play, but sometimes not. For command positions, it comes down to what types of units you have been at and what kind of experience you have. I would imagine that it is somewhat in your control because you are able to have input on your dream sheet, but then again, you are at the mercy of the assignment officer as well.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    coreyshaw

--
    08 Mar 2012 08:50 PM
    So it's sort of like A school in which the top of the class gets first pick of the available billets and so on down the line?
    Now when you say 'technology degree' do you mean like, an IT field like network engineering or network admin, software engineer, etc?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    08 Mar 2012 08:55 PM
    Here's a basic list of STEM degree fields:

http://www.ice.gov/doclib/sevis/pdf...t-2011.pdf

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    coreyshaw

--
    08 Mar 2012 09:07 PM
    Man, that looks like a lot of math haha. Math is not my strong suit ha.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    coreyshaw

--
    08 Mar 2012 09:41 PM
    Also, is it possible for me to fly for the CG? Once Ive gone through OCS of course. My vision is perfect and I would have no problem passing the flight physical. But Ive heard that 26 is the cutoff for naval flight school. And I also heard that the CG only takes pilots with prior military flight experience.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    08 Mar 2012 09:44 PM
    For direct commission aviators, prior service is required. However, plenty of our Academy and OCS graduates become pilots. I don't know the age cutoffs off the top of my head though.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    coreyshaw

--
    09 Mar 2012 08:24 AM
    I did read that the cutoff for naval flight school is 26, so unfortunately, that counts me out.
    I signed up for the AUX last night, got a call this morning. Getting all of my paperwork squared away for that. I plan to gain as many quals as I can (boat crew, watch stander, etc).
    I'm going to start looking into volunteer work as well.
    What are some other things I can do that will make my resume stick out?
    I know it's still about 3 years away, but I want to get an early start so as soon as I get my degree, I'm ready to submit my packet.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    09 Mar 2012 10:53 AM
    First and foremost, make sure it is written well. If you know any english teachers or someone of that ilk, make sure they proof read and maybe even edit your resume and narrative.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    coreyshaw

--
    09 Mar 2012 04:30 PM
    Well I'm not too worried about how my resume looks right now as I am about what's on it ha. Seeing as I don't start school until the fall. But once it comes to putting it all together I'll make sure it's perfect.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    11 Mar 2012 11:43 AM
    Fixed those extras for ya' Corey. Good luck with your pursuit of OCS!
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    coreyshaw

--
    12 Mar 2012 06:27 AM
    Thanks gears! Yea, when I post on here from my phone it goes a little crazy sometimes.
    Another question. Do the same weight requirements for enlisted apply for entry as an officer as well? I can't seem to find any literature on entrance standards for ocs.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    12 Mar 2012 08:08 AM
    The weight and medical standards are the same across the board.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    coreyshaw

--
    12 Mar 2012 08:19 AM
    Ok good to know. Thanks.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    coreyshaw

--
    12 Mar 2012 03:33 PM
    I still qualify for OCS if I do my first 2 years of college at a community college and then transfer to a university and get my bachelors right?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    12 Mar 2012 05:11 PM
    As long as you earn a bachelors degree, yes.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    coreyshaw

--
    12 Mar 2012 06:01 PM
    Ok good. And as for the list of STEM degrees you sent. Are any of the degrees listed there a good option? I'm thinking of getting a BS in Computer Science
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    12 Mar 2012 07:33 PM
    STEM is STEM. The decision is completely your own. In fact, I would recommend choosing a major that appeals to you, regardless of whether it's STEM or not. You never know if the Coast Guard decision may change after time, and you need to be left with a field that you want to work in.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement