Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Coast guard pilots
Last Post 09 Mar 2012 06:33 PM by chukles. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Elikeatts

--
08 Mar 2012 02:48 PM
    Hey guys!

I'm still new to this forum. I'm enlisting in the coast guard and when I finish college I'd like to go through ocs and try to get into flight school. I just wondered if there are any coast guard pilots on this forum who could give me a few pointers. What's it like? Do you enjoy it? What did you major in in college? What are the high points and low points? I'm young and and am still planning on finishing college while in the cg. I was just curious and thought I might reach some pilots on here.

Also if there are any pilots on this forum who fly the c-130, I'd REALLY like to hear about that. Thats my dream. 

Thanks!
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    08 Mar 2012 03:17 PM
    sardaddy would be the one to chat with...

You can do a search and pull up a lot of his posts...on the search page put sardaddy in the search by user space on the left, then put in one or two words at the most in the search box top middle, such as pilot, flight training and/or other words or combinations that pull stuff up. Words such as a, the, an, is, will pull up any post he used that word in, so make it pilot related. google search will also be a good one...Have fun.
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    sardaddy

--
    09 Mar 2012 04:41 PM
    Elikeatts,

First, I wish you luck. If you really want to be a pilot, the road is long and challenging so you have to stay focused on the prize.

For your questions, I can answer them but they are pretty boring.

What's it like? Not really sure what to compare it to but in general it is like having a desk job (because you do) having to do the same amount of work as someone with the same type of job but having about 2/3 the time to do it. The other 1/3 is flying, preparing to fly, studying to fly etc.

Do you enjoy it? Sure do. If I didn't I wouldn't have done it for 23 years.

What did you major in in college? Didn't go the regular college route but it is an aviation degree. You don't need that to get a flight slot.

What are the high points and low points? High points, doing some really incredible rescues. Low points, depends on the day. This week it is trying to stay focused losing friends who died doing the exact thing you are doing at the moment.

Also if there are any pilots on this forum who fly the c-130, I'd REALLY like to hear about that. Thats my dream.

No C130 pilots here luckily. They bring down the rent in the neighborhood wherever they set up shop.

Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    09 Mar 2012 04:49 PM
    Hey now Sar!!! We extend your range by miles!

OP, Not a pilot, just a navigator that tells pilots where to go... and the best way to get there
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    09 Mar 2012 05:09 PM
    The way things have been going lately up in this neck of the woods, I thought that telling the pilot where to go was my job! I think I have diverted every flight I've had the guard for the past 2 weeks.

Chuckles, because I've never had the courage to actually ask, what rate is the navigator on the c-130s?  I've been in the cockpit a couple times during training flights, but never asked.  I'm up there to talk to the AETs.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    09 Mar 2012 05:18 PM
    AMT and AET can both serve as navigators and load masters if I'm not mistaken.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    chukles

--
    09 Mar 2012 05:52 PM
    AET, AMT's go Engineer. AET's can now go Nav or Engineer. (at least they could 6 years ago lol)
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    09 Mar 2012 06:26 PM
    Rate Chuck? I thought maybe you meant rating.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    chukles

--
    09 Mar 2012 06:33 PM
    Rate does not even fit the sentence, think I started to say rating and then got sidetracked!

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement