Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
USCGC NORTHLAND
Last Post 12 Nov 2012 08:46 AM by GM1USCG_RET. 18 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Bverian

--
09 Mar 2012 06:31 PM
    does anybody have information on what to expect!? My husband is getting stationed there after BC and im kinda freaking out!! cutters are bitter sweet...
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    09 Mar 2012 06:36 PM
    I dont have any info on the Northland but Im on a different 270 and I love it. That being said, I have an awesome crew and a great boat that we take pride in.
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    09 Mar 2012 06:41 PM
    http://www.uscg.mil/lantarea/cgcNor...istory.asp

VA is a pretty saturated area with Coasties and Navy.
    You can contact the unit Ombudsman, the number is listed on that page. An Ombudsman is usually a Coastie wife that helps other spouses/family members. She's a liaison between command and the families. I'm sure someone else will have a better description but she'll be a good place to start as far as housing, deployments, resources, etc. Your husband will get in contact with the unit later on but will more than likely be asking about job related topics.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    09 Mar 2012 06:58 PM
    A good friend of mine is on there. Send me a PM and I will give you his email address. The Northland just had an enormous drug bust recently, so your husband will be able to experience some action right away from the sounds of it.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Bverian

--
    09 Mar 2012 07:51 PM
    Hi cooch! I wish I knew how to PM you from my phone! Can you PM me when you get a chance? And E thank you I contacted her! I'm so nervous to experience life as a coastie cutter wife!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CablesMom

--
    13 Mar 2012 09:47 AM
    Found an update on the CGC Northland on Fred's Place..

http://www.fredsplace.org/

It's under the 'features' tab.
    Proud Coastie Mom
    tba1209

--
    30 Mar 2012 09:55 AM
    My son is assigned to the USCG Cutter Northland, for almost a year.  He is a part of Engineering, Aux Systems.  He does like being out at sea.  He really enjoyed their last patrol.  It was a very productive patrol.  They confiscated 3500 lbs of cocaine.  They also seemed to have some fun too.  There are some pics and updates on Fred's Place about their last 2 patrols. 

http://www.fredsplace.org/images/no...rthland18/  (this is the most recent patrol)

http://www.fredsplace.org/images/no...rthland17/

Hope this helps.

Prdmum

--
    25 Apr 2012 03:01 PM

My son just got his orders from Boot Camp, he is stationed on the USCG Northland.  He graduates May 11, will come home for a few days and go to VA.  Can anyone tell me if the boat is out to sea, dry docked or what the status is.  Also, will he live on the boat when he gets there or on base?  Any other info would be greatly appreciated!!  Should he bring his car? Motorcyle?
    Thank you!  I was reading the journal on Freds Place, looks like a wonderful crew and cutter!!

Thanks again,

Tanis

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    25 Apr 2012 03:38 PM
    Mum, if the ship is underway or not is OPSEC so that information can't be posted in an open forum. Your son should be in contact with his sponsor at the unit and he will find out that information. As far as living aboard, that is a very good possiblity. It seems each boat is different in some little ways. But I know my son lived aboard his 270 for almost a year before getting a barracks room. That too will all get squared away with his sponsor and command. Being in Portsmouth, I would suggest a car or even his motorcycle. Virginia drivers are a little batty, I would rather my son be in a car than on a bike... but to each their own on what mode of transportation they prefer. We try to answer best that we can, but there are some answers we just can't provide because of security reasons. But ask away, we'll do our best to help how we can.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Prdmum

--
    25 Apr 2012 06:56 PM
    Old Guard2,

Thank you for your help!  Slowly but surely I will get the ettiquette down with my questions!!  Is it possible to know, when and if the cutter goes out, how long are they gone for?  It seems like different cutters are gone for different amounts of time.  If he is living on a cutter, can he bring a laptop to email home?  How about civilan clothing, I can't imagine there being much room for their belongs.  I'm sure his sponsor will tell him these things but I'm so excited for him and curious. 

Thanks again!!
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    25 Apr 2012 07:35 PM
    Oh it's ok. We all started somewhere knowing what can and can't be discussed. Once he is aboard, sure. He'll be able to tell you when they are departing. You can't post it on facebook but it is no sin for you to know they are getting underway. He can have his laptop, absolutely. However, there is no wireless on the ship. He can use that for watching movies or playing off line games. He can email but it will be from his uscg.mil email account while underway. As far as civilian clothing, the space is going to be really limited but he will absolutely want some personal things. When he is off duty or when underway and they make a port call, he is going to want his jeans, tshirts, favorite hockey jersey (my son has like 25 of those darn things). He will learn how to pack a lot in a little space. But he should be picky about what he initially takes with him. You can always send extra if he needs/wants it.

He will be on a 270, the general rule of thumb will be 2 months in, 2 months out. Some cruises are longer, some inports are shorter... it all depends upon the mission and what's going on at the time. Colin was generally gone for 8 weeks. But every couple of weeks they stopped some place for a liberty call. Colin has been to some pretty great places and is currently in A school. He wants to get back on a ship and continue his sea time, he loves it.

Keep asking questions, we'll keep helping. You're welcome.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Prdmum

--
    26 Apr 2012 02:42 PM
    Thank you Old Guard 2,  If my son had it his way, he would bring his hockey bag and find a team to join during his down time. He's been playing since he was 4.  This is so exciting!!  I can't wait to come visit him!! I know more questions will come to mind.  This is a great forum!!
    Rustylark

--
    29 Apr 2012 09:55 PM
    Old guard meet Tanis...Tanis Old Guard. I met and began to worship at OG 's feet here before Alex shipped...I met Tanis shortly before and during shipping as her son Jake shipped and is with Alex at Bootcamp now. Now we're all buds...cool! h
    Patriotism is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime. Adlai E. Stevenson
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    30 Apr 2012 09:20 AM
    I don't even have a response that... I am literally giggling at my desk! LOL

Nice to meet you!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Plgonzalezrx8

--
    27 Aug 2012 03:04 PM
    Northland is a good unit, I have friends in that cutter, I was stationed in CGC Forward, literally next to the northland, from what I heard, they love it there and deck department is really smooth running, he will like it. The area is not the greatest tho, I recommend living in Norfolk, VA Beach or Chesapeake, try to stay away from Hampton and Portsmouth, I used to drive 30 minutes from Chesapeake and then moved to norfolk and drived about the same, traffic is not that bad at that time in the morning. Getting qualified in that boat is pretty easy and Deck department do GPOW (Quarterdeck watch) instead of Aux Watch (Engineering) like we did. Hope he enjoy his unit.
    USCG Sector Command Center Anchorage, Alaska
    yanipique

--
    14 Sep 2012 06:21 PM
    I am so nervous my husband will graduate from bootcamp the 28th of this month and will be stationed on USCGC Northland. It has been hard being apart since we have a little baby, he will be 3 months old. I just want to know what length of time they are usually out to sea. I am just lost, not sure what to expect.

Thank you in advanced
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    14 Sep 2012 06:38 PM
    Anywhere from 6 weeks to 3 months at a time. My son was a baby when I was on the ship for 3 years. It's nowhere near as bad as it may seem.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    14 Sep 2012 07:49 PM
    Yanipique - Look for a facebook group of Coastie wives for the Northland. My soon to be daughter-in-law is on the Midgett wives facebook group. She receives a lot of support from the wives that are there. She gets information and support and can ask questions. She is also becoming friends with some of the wives. It is a great way to get to meet people.

Also, you aren't the first person to have a child with a military husband, you won't be the last. You'll manage. There is nothing to be nervous or worried about. Let us know if you have any other questions, we'll be happy to help.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    GM1USCG_RET

--
    12 Nov 2012 08:46 AM
    I was aboard Northland before I retired.  I have 4 kids and did NOT want my kids in Norfolk, Va Beach, Chesapeake, or any other schools on the Southside.  I grew up in Norfolk and will not comment on schools there.  It is a 45 minute drive, but I chose to live in Yorktown. By far the best schools and the lowest crime rate in the area!  270' patrols vary from 4 to 6 weeks.  Rarely longer or shorter unless the ship is going somewhere special (like the Baltic Sea or South America).  When I was aboard, the crew was very tightknit and got along well.  The wives had a couple " get- togethers" when the ship was gone.  

Any other questions, feel free to ask!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement