Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
obtaining a degree while on active duty???
Last Post 01 Jun 2012 10:00 PM by Cooch. 13 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Kylemichael

--
15 Mar 2012 11:37 PM
    How easy/difficult is it to obtain a degree while in service. Also does A-school and other qualifications count as collage credits???
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    16 Mar 2012 07:54 AM
    It isn't easy. You have to understand service comes first, schooling second. So a 4 year degree will take you a bit longer to achieve. However, it is completely possible to do!! My ex-husband earned 2 Associates, a Bachelor's and a Master's all while on active duty going from a non-rate to Commander in the Coast Guard and never paid a dime for any of it. It took him almost 24 years to complete all of it but he did it. So if you want it, you can achieve it! Best of luck.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Hunt

--
    20 Mar 2012 06:47 PM
    they do count as college credits. I am enrolled in an online school that also has a brick and mortar institution called baker. I love it so far. Its possible but it will take a while, dont overwhelm yourself.
    swingerwc

--
    26 Mar 2012 01:46 PM
    Vincent Patton one of our former MCPOCG earned a Doctorate, Masters and 2 bachelors degrees while serving active duty. It is very much attainable but from what I hear you wont have much time to go out boozing with friends which in my book is a perfect reason to use tuition assistance
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    26 Mar 2012 01:52 PM
    Amen swinger! Much better use of time and energy!!! Alcohol is just rented anyway. A degree will last a lifetime and will let you have untold riches if you follow the right path!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Active Prior Service

--
    23 Apr 2012 07:09 AM
    Becareful about the college credits though...as some colleges will only accept certain credits. They won't accept them all. Only the ones that apply to your degree of study will be used. But...you will pretty much have all your elective credits earned.

Also, make sure that your stuff is on your Coast Guard transcripts. May take a month or two to show up, so make sure you let the colleges know any time you go to a new school in the Coast Guard so that they can update your transcript and see if you have any more credits earned to help you out.
    Conroy50611

--
    28 Apr 2012 08:27 PM
    how much school could potentially be completed in 5 years though? I'm personally curious because I just realized I'll be 31 when i complete school if i start after my enlistment. I prefer to be younger and have kids before then. I'm sincerely regretting that spontaneous decision to enlist and now I'm trying to at least get a head start while im trapped in the CG
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    28 Apr 2012 08:33 PM
    I have completed a bachelors and a masters in that time. But everyone is different. It depends greatly on how much you are willing to sacrifice to get it done.

Trapped??

Look at it this way, even if it takes you longer than a traditional student, you are going to graduate with zero debt! You will be able to chose jobs based on desire, not loan payback. That is a phenominal place to be in compared to your counterpart.

I believe we know each other! if so look me up in global, I will give you some advice!

Chuck Cunningham.
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    28 Apr 2012 08:34 PM
    Have you already been to boot camp? You can always back out of the decision if you haven't shipped yet.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Conroy50611

--
    29 Apr 2012 07:50 PM
    I have been with the CGC Tahoma for about 8 months already, And just deciding that I want to go back to school for architecture which is a 5 year degree. I just feel like I'm wasting a good chunk of my life in the CG. I feel myself getting stupider everyday and I'm completely miserable on the Tahoma. I understand it will be difficult to go to school while in the service which is why I'm kicking myself in the butt now.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    29 Apr 2012 08:32 PM
    Try your best not to judge the entire experience based on your first unit. After you go to A school, you will see a tremendous change in your outlook on the CG. Best of luck to you.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    29 Apr 2012 10:35 PM
    The first year is pretty frustrating. I don't really know what to say... Get started on the degree and finish it up when your done. Or get out. (I'm not sure if there are any programs right now but there used to be, for active to go reserve). Thats really disappointing I have a ton of reserve friends that would give anything to be active right now. Nonrate life isn't fun but like Cooch said it gets significantly better once your rated, and you are going to feel extremely proud when that happens.

I'm getting my masters right now from Michigan State University online. Its annoying but its do able.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    ryathorn

--
    01 Jun 2012 07:26 PM
    Does the CG accept people with any form of degree? Currently I am working on my Bachelors in Ministry, but I feel drawn to the Coast Guard. Will I be able to use the degree?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    01 Jun 2012 10:00 PM
    Your degree will allow you to enter as an E-3 if you get fully qualified. You can apply for OCS, although without a STEM degree, it won't be anywhere near as competitive as some other applications.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement