Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Gifts for your recruiter
Last Post 25 Mar 2012 06:23 PM by Cooch. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
prior2012

--
17 Mar 2012 11:02 AM
    This is a difficult ethical question. What are my options for giving a gift to my recruiter? Recognizing that my recruiter has gone to bat for me several times now, and has even put in some weekend hours on my case, I feel like I want to do something for him. I understand that it is the service and duty that is his reward, and that he derives pleasure from just standing at the position of attention and saluting the flag every morning, and gifts are not necessary.

However, if I'm selected, this is going to be one of those "flash bulb memory" moments that I'll never forget, and I won't be able to contain my appreciation.  I will want to show my gratitude to my recruiter, but I also don't want to cross any ethical lines as far as USCG regulations. Given that I only have a small percentage chance of being selected (maybe the same odds as picking Lehigh to win the March Madness bracket) for my particular program, this may not even come to pass, but if it does I want to be ready.

Would it be inappropriate if I bought him a six pack of beer, gave him some tickets to a NBA game, or took him out to dinner? Maybe a gift certificate to play at a local golf course? Other than squeezing the hell out of his hand when I shake it, and adding him to my annual Christmas card list, what are some acceptable forms of appreciation for all his work and effort on my behalf?

Keep in mind, I will not be doing any of this before the results come out, and he knows nothing of my intention, so these gifts DEFINITELY are not meant to influence his behavior, ONLY to show my appreciation AFTER the fact.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    17 Mar 2012 11:21 AM
    A letter thanking him/her would more than suffice. I have letters from my apps saved from day 1 and emails to boot. They are in my keep safe box. I do not accept gifts from my applicants just to keep any thought or appearance of ethics violation at bay.

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    17 Mar 2012 12:07 PM
    +1 Chukles

I've gotten visits to the office from my new minted Shipmates. I can't think of a better thank you than that.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    prior2012

--
    17 Mar 2012 12:32 PM
    Great advice, I'll do the same.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    JBraz

--
    17 Mar 2012 03:38 PM
    All we desire is that you represent us in a positive manner. That being said I received a company coin from a few recruits after they graduated. It's a nice little keepsake that I keep on my desk. Many options but some of us are sentimental, I also take a picture of every applicant and require a picture from the field once they graduate. I out them side by side in an album, nice keepsake as well.
    ~My destiny is to help others fulfill their destiny~
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    17 Mar 2012 04:49 PM
    We did take our recruiter out for lunch. He brought all of Colin's paperwork, we talked everything through, signed it all & then when we were all done had a nice lunch. We traded stories, Chief telling us his exploits, Colin talking about growing up a Coastie brat, me a Coastie wife. It was a really nice afternoon. It wasn't an extraordinary amount of money but a great afternoon.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    17 Mar 2012 06:59 PM
    My son drove two hours to visit his recruiter the first time he came home on leave. He already had orders for A school, and they BS'ed for nearly an hour, using him as a prop for applicants in the office. He had a lot of fun, and the recruiters seemed to, too.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    18 Mar 2012 08:27 PM
    My "recruiting chief" came to see me in Cape May. No joke! He wasn't my recruiter per say, but he was the Chief in the office. He went to Cape May to teach recruiting school and found me, of all times, right after getting my wisdom teeth pulled! He told me I looked like hell hahaha. We still keep in touch. I wrote a letter and called my actual recruiter after graduation. He was on leave so I didn't stop by to see him.

I did bring in donuts for the office when I shipped though.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    TNCoastie

--
    20 Mar 2012 06:25 PM
    I think a letter would suffice :-) I still text my recruiter every now and then just to keep him updated on how things are going. I literally couldn't have done it without his help!
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    20 Mar 2012 07:18 PM
    TNCoastie, what office did you recruit out of?
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    USCGforMe

--
    20 Mar 2012 08:29 PM
    Finish boot camp with a clean record - that's the best thing a recruiter could receive imho.

Hunt

--
    25 Mar 2012 06:11 PM
    Prior to joining of all things I was an avid knitter and wanted to make an afghan for my recruiter to show appreciation but never got the time to finish it. However after being in anything over a certain dollar amount is unacceptable to recieve as a gift and I'm happy I didnt to avoid an awkward thanks but no thanks response.

I did finish with a clean record and have not heard from him since.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    25 Mar 2012 06:23 PM
    That's a shame. I keep in touch with all of my applicants, even after they've gone on to their first unit, A school, and beyond. Once you get past the recruiter/enlistee part, you are shipmates and friends. I like to hear about their accomplishments because it gives me a sense of pride.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement