Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
A school wait times
Last Post 22 Mar 2012 09:06 AM by Gears. 27 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Hunt

--
17 Mar 2012 01:37 PM
    Hey, I recently noticed that the estimate wait time for all schools has grown exponentially, does anybody know if this affects everyone on the list or just the new folks that are signing up for school?
    john.g.w

--
    17 Mar 2012 02:25 PM
    Where do you find the info on A school wait times?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    17 Mar 2012 03:36 PM
    The faq section has a link to the a school list. There you can see the number of people going per class & the expected wait times. Keep in mind that can change month to month.

To answer the first question that applies to all, those already on the list & those coming in now.
    USCGC Midgett
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    17 Mar 2012 04:50 PM
    The wait times are always going to be fluctuating too.
    You can only make yourself look bad.
    john.g.w

--
    17 Mar 2012 09:49 PM
    FS has a short wait time..... if it's anything like army the army, those guys hate their life lol.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    17 Mar 2012 09:55 PM
    I would have to say most of our cooks love it... but that's the difference between the CG & the Army... Our cooks CHOSE to be cooks. The other services are often thrust into the greatness of being a cook! Because the CG allows you to choose for yourself you are generally in a rate that you love. Unless you are one of those that looks at the A school list for the shortest wait time and bases a decision on how fast rank can be made. One of the goofiest ways to chose what job you would like to have. Nothing seays misery more than accepting a job that you don't really want just because you think you'll advance faster. Generally you don't advance at all because you are productive at all!
    USCGC Midgett
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    18 Mar 2012 04:31 AM
    The new FS2 end of course test is supposed to be one of the hardest tests in the CG also right now. I have a couple on here that have been trying for about a year to pass it.

Like Old Guard said. If the cooks hate their life then they need to figure out what to do to unhate it. They chose the rate, making the best out of your job its better than being unemployed.

Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    18 Mar 2012 08:25 PM
    It affects alot of people not just the new people. The wait time is a guestimatation because of how the budget and the projected size of classes. I will tell you I put my name on the list when it was under six months and took about a year and half because of it.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Gandler

--
    18 Mar 2012 09:01 PM
    Posted By john.g.w on 17 Mar 2012 10:49 PM
    FS has a short wait time..... if it's anything like army the army, those guys hate their life lol.

I don't see why they would? I obviously can't say from experience, but it seems like a fair rating especially if you like food. being a chef is hard work in a hot fast environment and I'm sure in the military kitchens its even hotter and faster. but some people love it, if that's your thing.
    But more importantly its probably one of the military jobs that translates best to the civilian world, there are kitchens everywhere and chefs are well paid, especially trained and experienced ones.  many of the more thrilling sounding military jobs have intense training but does not directly certify you for anything in the civilian world, which is fine if you are a career soldier, but if you are in the army as a tank driver  for 4 years what are you going to do when you get out? (no offense to tank drivers or whatever the technical term is , but that is just an example).
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    18 Mar 2012 11:45 PM
    Gandler, it is a good illustration. I had a friend who got laid off from a good county job as a bookkeeper; he had a wife and two little girls. I knew he was a former Marine, so I asked what his specialty had been, thinking maybe it would translate. This nerdy little guy looked at me, and said, "I was an amphibious assault team squad leader."

No help there.

He went back to school, and now he's an ER nurse.

That said, I would encourage non-rates on the A school lists to hold out for what they want. The wait times are daunting right now, but they are a 'best guess' only, and anything can affect them.
    The people ahead on the list can lose interest, change their minds, decide to strike, sustain an injury and need time to recover, have a more-complicated-than-expected background investigation that stalls a security clearance....you get the idea. I know people whose 6 month wait turned into a year and a half , and also one whose 18 month wait was only 5.
    Don't settle just because you're in a rush.
    lenkijj

--
    19 Mar 2012 09:28 PM
    As heard from BM1 in my training department, "The need for petty officers has been greatly reduced", Budget cuts are hurting, advancemnet is slowing, Well i guess the training center is rumored to be shutting down  

I am personally on the IS waiting list... it says "More than 36 months wait". i intend to stick it out.

As of now, if you are currently a non rate waiting to go to A school... i was told OS is offering $5000 for completing A school.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    19 Mar 2012 09:35 PM
    Just to address this rumor again, Cape May is not shutting down training. This is just a rumor, and recruiters are still assigning ship dates to people. Until official word says otherwise, Cape May is not shutting down.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    19 Mar 2012 09:52 PM
    Posted By lenkijj on 19 Mar 2012 10:28 PM

As of now, if you are currently a non rate waiting to go to A school... i was told OS is offering $5000 for completing A school.

It's still a 9-12 month wait when you put your name on.  You DO NOT get $5000 for completing a-school as an OS, you get $5000 if you agree to be an OS for at least 4 years upon graduation.
    "Hell is something you carry with you. Not somewhere you go."
    Hunt

--
    20 Mar 2012 04:32 PM
    I am on the IT waiting list and not planning on changing my mind. I'm enrolled in online classes now as well to work on my computer science degree. Hopefully I'll get to A school first. But, whatever happens, happens and the needsa of the service are always changing. I was just wondering if anybody knew anything about the gridlock. What are they going to do about cuts? I hope they dont get rid of the new people, I love my job.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    20 Mar 2012 05:42 PM
    I hope they dont get rid of the new people, I love my job.

We aren't a Union. We'll just be bringing fewer people in until the gridlock eases. In the interim.. For all of you Non-Rates waiting for "A" school start taking college courses online, distance learning, brick and mortar whatever. Your core courses will easily transfer as long as you attend a SOCCOAST College (google it).
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    20 Mar 2012 06:53 PM
    That is what I was going to say to the IS dude. I am taking Law Enforcement and Intelligence Masters degree from Michigan State University. ... Which in general is what I am supposed to be doing instead of being on this forum.

Hunt

--
    20 Mar 2012 07:25 PM
    I am attending a SOCCOAST school. I found one that would allow me to finish my bachelors online since I was at the associates level when I came in. and Go Bells thats great!
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    20 Mar 2012 08:21 PM
    Which in general is what I am supposed to be doing instead of being on this forum.

I call it a "study break."
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    20 Mar 2012 09:04 PM
    lol i seriously hate school. I can't wait for summer break wooo going wilddddd woooo. Not really but I really wish the CG gave it's workforce spring break, summer break, winter break.....

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    20 Mar 2012 09:45 PM
    I would settle for a bathroom break at this point.
    meeks1882

--
    21 Mar 2012 06:27 AM
    @ john - here is the link that has all the wait list times for each A School, http://www.uscg.mil/psc/epm/docs/A-...olList.pdf
    john.g.w

--
    21 Mar 2012 05:20 PM
    Thanks, I found that in the FAQ section a few days ago.

edit: and I guess FS is one of the better rates in the CG, according to my friend who just happens to be FS. she says FS do fewer "watches"(what does that mean?) and get rank quickly. She's been in 2 years and is about to make E5. I guess that's FS2 i think she said?

And since FS is a critical rate, there's no 4 month wait out of boot camp to apply, and there's a less than 3 month wait for that A school. So you could be rated with less than a year in as FS. Interesting stuff. I'm learning all sorts of new things lol

And in the army the cooks go to work before everyone else, gotta make breakfast, and get off work after everyone else, gotta make dinner. I know I wouldn't enjoy that too much. When I used to eat at the dining facilities the cooks just seemed so depressed. I knew two of them and they hated it. 
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    21 Mar 2012 08:10 PM
    lol,

Ya, FS makes rate pretty fast, it is a critical rate and they are especially in need of FS2s because Many FS2s do independent duty.

Most FSs go from boot to a-school. I would argue this deprives the shipmates of a valuable non-rate experience which is needed before one can be a petty officer...more like (how do you have the nerve to boss me around and treat me like crap when you never have been a non-rate so you don't know what nonrate life is like).

Not to say all of them are like that. But a lot are. The cooks' schedule are different everywhere. Last year it was a one in four while we were inport, where one of them came in once every 4 days, never stood duty (watch), and thats it. thats effin bull. But they were on the boat from about 0500-1830

This year they are 2 on 2 off, so two of them are on for 2 days while the other 2 are off and then they switch, but they still go home everynight and don't stand duty.

While we were under way last year 2 of them would cook breakfast and lunch and the other 2 would cook dinner and midrats.

Now its 1 works all day, 1 is a helper but doesn't do prep or anything, and 1 is off, and they just rotate (the thirds) while the 2nd just supervises and basically works out 3 times a day.

They have a lot of underway time though required to advance. Just like any shop, every shop (department) has their drama, so no matter what, if you don't like your shop or who your work for or for who... dont worry, its gunna change in a few years.

watch: sucks.

Watch is either underway watch which could be looking out a window or staring at machinery depending on what department you are in, usually for 4 hours, a couple times a day, every day, or every other day depending whether you are in engineering or operations and how good the rotation is.

Watch inport is (for our boat) a 5 man duty section (9 man if augmented which we always are), where you have an OOD, a EOW, and 3 watchstanders that stand 2 four hour watches a day. If augmented then you just stay on the boat and don't stand watch. Generally you stand duty for 24 hours and then augmented for another 6 (augmented is a fire/attack team).

We stand about a 1 in 8 right now, so we stand duty every 8 days. Thats a really generous duty schedule, most places its about a 1-4 1-5 for boats.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    GeoBurdell

--
    22 Mar 2012 06:47 AM
    Definition, please.

The term "Sea Time" is used a lot. What is meant by the term?
    Is it time you are underway?
    Is it the time you are assigned to a sea going billet?

Inquiring mind(s) want to know - please.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    22 Mar 2012 07:00 AM
    My son has almost 3 years sea time. He hasn't been underway that long, he was assigned to the cutter Seneca for that amount of time.
    USCGC Midgett
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    22 Mar 2012 07:01 AM
    Sea Time is the amount of time you are attached to an afloat unit, a Cutter (any boat 65' or greater in length).
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JDMD

--
    22 Mar 2012 09:04 AM
    Do you get sea pay then when you are just assigned to a cutter or does it have to be underway to get that?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    22 Mar 2012 09:06 AM
    You get sea pay as long as you are assigned to the cutter.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement