Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Boot Camp Graduation
Last Post 26 May 2014 07:03 PM by KD. 53 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
donna32556

--
19 Mar 2012 07:43 AM
    My daughter is just finishing up her first week of boot camp. She is my only daughter, and my youngest, so it is hard for my not to hear from her. How soon do they let recruits contact family? And when do you find out about the graduation date?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    19 Mar 2012 08:06 AM
    Hi Donna,

You can start writing as soon as you like. You won't get a phone call until week 5. You should start receiving mail maybe this week, but for sure next week. Don't expect long letters with in depth detail. They have a very small window of time to write. If she just finished week 1, then she is Lima-186? Her graduation date is May 4th. I already posted the mailing address in the FAQ section "What company is my recruit in?" You can send her a letter this afternoon if you like! Let us know if you have any other questions. We will be happy to help out however we can.

believe me when I say the days are going to drag by but the weeks will fly! Before you know it, you will be winging your way to beautiful, sunny Cape May, NJ!

Macie
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Niicole

--
    01 Apr 2012 04:59 AM
    I am a coast guard girlfriend, and was curious to know how many phone calls the recruits get? I know he should get one call once week five comes around, his mother and I are extremely close so we talk almost everyday to keep each other sane but, I would want my boyfriend to contact his mother before he contacts me, I have received one letter so far and week three is closing out, week four here we come ( half way there) but, curious to know how many calls are aloud?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    01 Apr 2012 08:18 AM
    The week 5 phone call is a one & done situation. That is VERY sweet of you to want him to call his mom. As a mom, I appreciate that. I was also a Coastie girlfriend and I told my boyfriend he had better call me. LOL I wasn't as sweet. You can relay to him that you would like it if he called his mom for the week 5 call. During week 6 he can make multiple phone calls, you, mom, favorite aunt, old principal! Same during week 7, phone calls can be to whomever, howeer much. I hope that helps. Let us know if you need anything else.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    01 Apr 2012 09:26 AM
    Nicole, another Coastie mom here....you respectful sweetheart, you get ALL the points today!! <3
    Niicole

--
    01 Apr 2012 07:09 PM
    I believe in the saying " a man will only treat his wife as well as he treats his mother" so, with that being said I know my time will come soon enough I appreciate the feedback, that is very exciting to know calls will become more frequent after week five, I must say I enjoy checking my mail now ( before he left I would check it maybe once every week) now I check it twice a day I do have another question as well if you don't mind, my best friends husband is in the army and he was aloud his phone the Thursday before graduation and had to give it back at a certain time, do you believe this is something these recruits can do as well?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    01 Apr 2012 07:25 PM
    Colin's company got their cell phones back on Thursday night. They were told it was to charge only, not to call. A couple of guys called anyway. (I don't suggest not following your CC's orders, even if it is just down to a wake up, they could still revert you!) Colin did not. I believe it is also CC discretion for both points... giving them back and saying yay or nay on phone calls at that time. So he might, he might now. Flip of the coin.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Niicole

--
    01 Apr 2012 07:33 PM
    Knowing Travis he won't, which is good. Because, I would rather a graduated coastie to see the following morning rather than a phone call I appreciate all of your help with my questions but, I do have a few more if you do not mind...
    When will they know where their first orders will be? Are they aloud to return home for a few days? Due to the fact that we aren't married, I know I cannot live on base but, I know base living is very restricted in the CG, is there a possibility he can live off base?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    01 Apr 2012 07:58 PM
    That 5 week phone call, that is to tell family where they are stationed. So they will know then. They are given 5 days leave after boot camp, that starts on Saturday. There have been instances where someone might need to report to their unit quicker so leave time gets shortened. But it doesn't happen often. So don't worry too much about that.

The whole living together not married thing... that is very, very tricky in the military, any military. In the case of the CG, if he is assigned to a ship, he will be required to live aboard. He will not get money for living off the ship. That could be a financial strain if he gets some place like Boston, San Francisco, New York City... Unless you are a very wealthy young lady, the chances of you being able to survive in a large city with no assistance from the CG would be slim. If he is not on a ship but assigned to an area with barracks, he will be required to live there. Again, receiving no financial assistance should you chose to move where he is. There are cases where there is no barracks but they have government leased housing and live with a CG roommate. There are so many variables and not being married make almost all of them difficult and not in your favor for living together. Also, if he gets tranferred in 5 months for some reason (unlikely but stranger things have happened) and you have signed a 1 year lease, you are left in whatever city he originally went to.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Niicole

--
    01 Apr 2012 08:46 PM
    Well all of the information you have provided is greatly appreciated, I am glad he gets to return home for a few days! I am thinking of seeing where he gets stationed before we start planning any moving situations, I promised myself I wouldn't marry to make things easier but, I will marry for love. My current profession is a pharmacy technician which one of my co-workers husband is in the Air Force and she said luckily our profession is very easy to travel with ( that was a huge stress relief ) because like you said before, living in a big city with no guaranteed income for a young lady my age ( 20 ) would be somewhat impossible. It looks like Travis and I have a lot to plan within the next few months...
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    01 Apr 2012 09:45 PM
    That's funny that you are a pharmacy tech. The lovely lady my son is engaged to just graduated and she is taking her license exam, she is a pharmacist. That is the great thing about her profession, there are pharmacies no matter where you go.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Niicole

--
    02 Apr 2012 12:55 AM
    Yeah, I enjoy it and even funnier thing is I work with a specific company and I work in the Department of Defense If she has any questions or anything feel free to contact me, I would be more than happy to help I am sure she could give me a few tips about this Coast Guard stuff as well
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    02 Apr 2012 08:52 AM
    She has her offer from CVS. She has been working there the entire time she was in college. She has been with them for more than 6 years already. She just finished her internship at 6 different hospitals around Boston. She is so glad school is finally over! Now onto career & wedding plans. I'll let her kow there is another Coastie girl with pharmacy experience!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Niicole

--
    04 Apr 2012 03:29 AM
    I am debating if I want to continue my education to become an RN or if I now want to become a pharmacist, both jobs are great for the military travel
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    04 Apr 2012 06:20 AM
    Just from Danielle going through it, I know Pharmacy school is 6 years. I don't know how far you are in your education but that is something to consider. If you move most credits are transferrtake you able now but all might not be and it could take longer than the 6 years. But I say go for it!!!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    kaykay1130

--
    09 Apr 2012 01:09 AM
    My coastie just called me from basic yesterday 07APR12 evening. I missed his call, but he was able to call again very early this morning again. The call was strictly for informational purposes only. Was only on the phone for maybe a minute. He said that he was doing well, he asked if his flight has been booked and what his flight information was and that he was going to have another chance to "talk with me further" on Saturday 14APR12. He ended with, "I love you very much and have a coast guard day." At least I think he said "have a coast guard day." Like I said, it was very early, but it wasn't like we had a conversation. He sounded very militant and rehearsed or as if he were reading what to say while being hovered over.

I imagine they do that to keep them from getting emotional or what not so that they don't lose focus. I could only imagine being away at basic could be hard for some people and having the opportunity to talk to a loved one could make someone emotional and lose focus on what they're doing there.
    kaykay1130

--
    09 Apr 2012 01:12 AM
    oh yes, he also mentioned where he was going to be stationed and his plan to get there after basic. "I will be driving up to my duty station after i've taken my leave."
    BrittVelaz11

--
    12 Apr 2012 09:50 AM
    My husband was went to bootcamp April 10, 2012. I was wondering when his graduation would be? When will I get my first letter? and When will I be contacted? Sorry for so many questions. Im trying to keep busy so time goes by faster but I miss him so much. We are Newlyweds so its hard to be away from him but I'm so proud of him and I know what needs to be done. Any Advice on top of the questions?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    12 Apr 2012 10:06 AM
    Graduation is June 1st. Your first letter should arrive in about a week or so. Your first phone call won't be until week 5, approx the weekend of May 11th. Your hubby is in company P-186, the mailing address has not been posted yet. As soon as it is, I will update the thread in the family & FAQ sections "What company is my recruit in." Then you can begin writing letters.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    BrittVelaz11

--
    12 Apr 2012 11:55 AM
    THANK YOU SO MUCH. COULD I SEND HIM PICTUES AND STAMPS? AND DO YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE FOR ME?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    12 Apr 2012 01:10 PM
    You can send pictures, sure! Just remember they should be pictures your grandma would be proud to hang on her fridge! Nothing over the top. Stamps are fine to send as well. If you have a printer available, one mom said she would send letters with pictures printed on the paper and write around/over the pictures. That's a nice way to send pictures but conserve space as well. Oh I have tons of advice & opinions, just ask anyone around here. LOL

Advice - Stay busy while he is in boot camp. Since you are a wife and you will be going with your hubby, clean your closets, sort out the tupperware and get rid of mismatched stuff that you don't use anymore. Get ready to move. You have 8 weeks to get it done and no husband to trip over while you do it. You don't need to pack anything, movers will do all that for you. Unless you are thinking about doing a DITY (Do IT Yourself) move. Then you can start getting stuff packed and ready to go. These 8 weeks will go by a lot faster than you are thinking. The days will drag by but the weeks will fly! Hang out here and we'll help answer questions or just keep you company. Welcome to the CG!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    BrittVelaz11

--
    16 Apr 2012 12:35 PM

THANK YOU SO MUCH. THAT MEANS A LOT

MRLANCESITE

--
    17 Apr 2012 02:08 PM
    Hi everyone . Im a brand new Coast Guard dad and as I write my only daughter ( 18 ) is on her way to Philadelphia . This looks like a good place to get some info and possibly help me sleep or eat . Geez , being a single dad it's hard to see her go . I'm not trying to be a baby but this is some stuff . It looks like the company list will get updated soon so I will know where to send letters . Thanks for reading my rambling . I have lots of questions but in due time .
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    17 Apr 2012 02:43 PM
    Welcome aboard. No question is too trivial or too silly... well maybe it is, but we will answer it anyway for you. We are here to help best that we can. You say only daughter, is she also your only child? Sleeping and eating will just come like natural. The days are going to drag by, but the weeks will fly. Before you know you'll be on a plane to Philly yourself and watching that wonderful girl of yours become a Coastie. It will be amazing and I suggest more than a couple of handkerchiefs. Let us know what we can do to help. Today's class should be Quebec-186 and graduation will be June 8th. Just to give you a head start on some info. As soon as I have the hall, I will post it in both the FAQ & Family section "What company is my recruit in?"

Again, welcome, make yourself at home, ask away.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    MRLANCESITE

--
    17 Apr 2012 04:35 PM
    Thanks for the info on the class and yes she is my only child . She is at the USO in Philadelphia at this time .
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    18 Apr 2012 08:59 AM
    I have posted the address for Q-186 in the "waht company..." thread... Start writing her letters. I'm sure she'll be happy to hear from her dad! What girl isn't. My son is my only child but my ex-husband is a Coastie. So I sort of knew what was in store for us and what was next. By the time she graduates, you'll be an old pro, just ask us questions and we'll get you answers.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    MRLANCESITE

--
    18 Apr 2012 09:11 AM
    Thank you , thank you , thank you . I have done soooo much reading . You gals and guys are the best . I had no idea that I could be so close to her progress from the opposite coast . I love the internet . I am selfish though , I wish she would have been a twin so I could have the other one here !!! Again , I appreciate this a bunch . I will finish my letter now . My writing used to be pretty nice before the keyboard . Im going handwritten , its a hot mess .
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    18 Apr 2012 11:58 AM
    When I was writing to my son, it looked like a chicken dipped his beak in ink and scratched on paper! I don't think he cared, it was just a letter from home. Don't forget in week 3, journals will be posted. Be sure to read those, it really keeps you close to the action and what has been happening in their lives. If you had a twin she may have gone off with her sister... then it would take twice as long to eat and sleep again. LOL Wait till you get that phone call at week 5. I was completely fine while we were talking. I hung up, tears! I was so happy to hear my boy's voice... couldn't help myself.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    TLs Mom

--
    18 Apr 2012 12:56 PM

Morning,
    I am a new Coastie mom and my son will be leaving for boot camp on 1 May. I have so many questions! I understand he gets 5 days of leave starting on Saturday. But after graduation on 22 June, how does he get home? Does the CG send him home?  Am I to arrange for a flight home? I'M SO CONFUSED! I'm okay with military terminology (my ex-husband was an Army officer) but I'm not familiar with CG procedures.  Any help or info will be much appreciated!

MRLANCESITE

--
    18 Apr 2012 03:15 PM
    Here's what I understand , now mind you I am an idiot and am probably wrong . After graduation USCG pays for travel to their first unit , recruit pays the difference in ticket to go home . I think it's that simple but probably not . Hope I helped
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement