Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Boot Camp Graduation
Last Post 26 May 2014 07:03 PM by KD. 53 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
TLs Mom

--
18 Apr 2012 03:25 PM
That's awesome! Thanks for the info! Like I said, any info is much appreciated! We should find out sometime during the 5th week of where he goes, correct?
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
18 Apr 2012 03:51 PM
MrLance has it just about spot on perfect! Tls Mom, your graduation date is June 22nd.

I lived in Texas when my recruit shipped to Cape May. He received orders to Boston. If he had wanted to come home to Ft Worth I would have had to buy his ticket home and back to Boston. The CG already paid for him to get to NJ, they weren't going to pay to send him back to Texas to go to Massachusetts from New Jersey. It's just a bit out of the way. However, had he been stationed in Galveston or San Diego or Los Angeles, Ft Worth would have been close enough or on the way and the CG would have paid for most, if not all of his trip. LUckily we lived in NJ before moving to Texas, my family is all there and my son had a lot more freinds in NJ. So we just spent our leave time at Grandma's house and I drove him to Boston. He was able to file a travel claim for driving from NJ to Boston. It didn't amount to much and it gave him no extra travel days. If driving, you are given an extra day, travel time not leave, for every 350 miles. If flying, no extra trvael time.

It sounds confusing but he will be a pro and will be abel to answer all your questions. So plan on buying his ticket (or having him buy his ticket) to go home but there may be a case where the CG will pay for part or all of it depending upon his orders. Yes, those are given out in week 5 and you should expect a phone call somewhere around the weekend of June 1st. MrLance's answer was just as good and WAY shorter than mine.
Sector NY, Staten Island
TLs Mom

--
18 Apr 2012 04:52 PM
Fabulous! Thank you so much! So I guess it all depends on where the CG is going to send him! We live in Washington state, so if his first orders tell him "Miami", I understand not paying for him to come home! You have put my mind to rest! Thank you! Now I can just enjoy the last couple of weeks with him here! Then, I'm sure I'll be asking more!
Basic Member
Basic Member
janelleyfish

--
18 Apr 2012 05:41 PM
Wow, I can't believe they're up to Quebec-186 already! My husband was in Quebec-184...
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
FloridaGirl

--
19 Apr 2012 08:51 AM
I was November 184...Hubs was 182! I told him I feel old now that they are almost done with 186. He said, "Well how do you think I feel?"

I married an old fart. :p
Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
Basic Member
Basic Member
janelleyfish

--
19 Apr 2012 09:05 AM
My husband was supposed to be in November-184, but had to delay a few weeks due to his father passing away suddenly. I know a few people from November-184 though - they are stationed with my husband!
MRLANCESITE

--
19 Apr 2012 09:29 AM
My girl is two days in , wow . It seems like we chose the right path but it sure is quiet around here . Here's a crapshoot question that I know needs a crystal ball ---- but , since  I am selfish I would like to hope . Are the odds around 50/50 that she'll go somewhere on her dreamsheet or whatever the proper term is ? Of course I want her out West so she can help fix the outhouse once and awhile and kill us a squirrel for dinner !! I hope she doesn't find out about the little working vacation I'm taking to Newport , Ca . Two weeks of living on a boat and working by the ocean , AHHHH . I may even do some push ups in her honor .
Basic Member
Basic Member
janelleyfish

--
19 Apr 2012 09:39 AM
Yes, it's about 50/50. They rank districts (regions of the country), not units, on their dream sheets. My husband wrote that he wanted a large cutter on the east coast, and he got what he wanted, but we had no control over where on the east coast he wound up. There were also people who didn't get what they wanted. It's all about needs of the service first.

Here's a link that shows the CG districts:

http://www.uscg.mil/top/units/
TLs Mom

--
19 Apr 2012 10:22 AM
I bet it's quiet!  My son is on the other side of the state visiting his dad and brother and tying up loose ends before he leaves.  It's already quiet!  I'll be glad when he comes home for the last week before he leaves.  Sounds like your working vacation may be just what you need!  I like the idea of doing push ups in her honor!
MRLANCESITE

--
20 Apr 2012 07:05 PM

Friday night , its been only a few days . The phone should be ringing , girls trying to plan their thing . Wait a minute , that was before she joined the USCG . Well at least her laundry is done !! Maybe I should start dating !!!

Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
FloridaGirl

--
21 Apr 2012 05:15 AM
I think it could make a great pick-up line
MRLANCESITE

--
21 Apr 2012 01:39 PM
Doing the laundry part ? Looks like I'll need every tool . Been awhile . It's hard when you have only 1 child and a beautiful one at that . All my focus has been based on her well being . Kinda lost right now . I think I'll mow the lawn !!
TLs Mom

--
23 Apr 2012 11:25 AM
Been thinking about you and your daughter. How did you do this weekend? Do you have any lawn left? My son leaves a week from tomorrow. I'm used to him being gone for a time, off and on, but New Jersey is a long way away. It's somehow different.....
MRLANCESITE

--
26 Apr 2012 12:54 AM
Hi , yes I got plenty of lawn mowed !! Thanks for thinking of me , that's real nice and I appreciate it a bunch . I miss my baby girl who has made a great choice . I was quiet on it but she turned 19 yesterday . It was a bit surreal . I support this whole process 1000% . Nothing good is ever easy . Again , thank you for the kind thoughts . It means alot .
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
26 Apr 2012 10:00 AM
I knew I liked your daugher... my birthday is today! All the good ones are born in April, you know! Happy Birthday to your "little" girl! Always gonna be daddy's little girl. I'm 46 and I am and I wouldn't trade that for a minute.
Sector NY, Staten Island
TLs Mom

--
26 Apr 2012 11:06 AM

You're right in that all the good ones are born in April!  My son was born in April and now he'll be off to boot camp in 5 days.  I'm doing okay so far, but I'm afraid it'll hit me like a sledge hammer when he gets on that plane.....  especially not knowing where he'll be sent to after that.  I won't be seeing him once or twice a week anymore.... That is what is going to get me!

Basic Member
Basic Member
janelleyfish

--
26 Apr 2012 11:32 AM
Happy Birthday, Macie! I hope you have a great day!
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
26 Apr 2012 06:23 PM
Thanks Janelle. Its been a really good day. Off to have dinner with Scott while he is on his lunch break. I'm bringing Taco Bell for us to share in the parking lot while he has 20 minutes for lunch. LOL What a romantic birthday dinner. But we are off tomorrow for a 3 day weekend.

TL, I have said it before... the worst part of being a Coastie wife or mom was waiting on those darn orders! That anticipation is enough to kill you. But once you find out it is a whole lot easier.
Sector NY, Staten Island
TLs Mom

--
17 May 2012 10:19 AM
Morning, All! Yesterday I received the first letter from my son! Not the 4-page form letter or postcard, but a REAL letter! I am so excited I can't spit straight!! It was so good to know he's received all the letters I've been sending him, and that he is doing fine! He did mention that during week 06 he will be getting his wisdom teeth removed -- all 4 of them. From what I read in a different area of the forum, this really shouldn't put him back. I hope! He's a quick healer and a go-getter so I'm sure he'll be right back in there. However, does anyone know if he gets any recovery time? Is there a certain day of the week that they perform the procedure? Does anyone have any tips on how he can best handle that situation? Any ideas are great! I'm so grateful for this forum: by reading it ahead of when he shipped I wasn't so shocked when things happened! Thank you all so much!
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
17 May 2012 12:30 PM
Colin only had 2 taken out and he got a night on the ward (think MASH and hospital). He got to stay in bed for a day, wrote me a long letter, had ice cream, got woken up by nice nurses (even Nurse Ratchett seems friendly compared to CC's LOL) and he was able to rest for the day. Then they go on what's called "green belt". That is someone with an injury or illness and is capable of returning to the company but has to take it a little slower.

I think the big motivator is they do the wisdom teeth (generally) so late in boot camp training the mindset is now "I MUST get back to my company. We are shipmates in this together. I can't lie in this bed." Unlike if you or I had 4 teeth pulled in one day... we would want 24 hour nurse care for a week! LOL So there is a lot of that going on in the psyche as well. So glad you got a letter, I know how that feels. You'll carry it in your purse or read it about a hundred more times till the next one arrives.
Sector NY, Staten Island
TLs Mom

--
17 May 2012 03:52 PM
Thanks Old Guard2! I think I've already read his letter 100 times; I could probably recite it word for word! It's funny: I seem to schedule my day around the post office schedule now!! LOL!
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
FloridaGirl

--
18 May 2012 07:41 PM
He won't even know when he's getting them removed until the night before! It might be week 5 or 7, but unless it's a huge company, they wait until after the PT test. We had a large company, so some people got that done in week 3! But as Old Guard said, it's not so bad. The dentists at Cape May told me as long as you passed your PT test, this won't hold you back.
pomonam8

--
08 May 2014 10:56 AM
New Coastie Dad, thought I'd revive this topic for 2014 as a lot can change in two years. My daughter leaves on June 24, 2014. I'm not too concerned with her well being. She is very determined and self sufficent. 

My concerns are about graduation. I don't mean to count the eggs before the hatch but I'm a planner and it's killing me having to wait till 3 weeks before grad to make plans to attend. 

Since we are from CA and never been to the East Coast we'd like to make the grad trip a vacation. Our plan is to fly out the week before for some sightseeing in NY then go to the graduation. After Grad we will stay another week for more sightseeing in DC. 

I had a travel agent look into costs and availability (we believe Grad day will be Aug 15). The prices are considerably more if we wait till three weeks before to make reservations versus making them now. Also as it stands now the only available hotel for this date is in Atlantic City. 

Another alternative is  to come in the day for graduation and do our sightseeing the  two weeks after graduation just in case she gets held back we will still be nearby to make it back for the revised Grad day.  

What are the odds of being held back to next class? 

Can somebody confirm the grad date?

Any advice and two cents would be appreciated. 

Basic Member
Basic Member
KD

--
26 May 2014 07:03 PM
I can't give you odds, because something as simple as a twisted ankle can delay graduation-- if you make reservations early, make sure to get the kind you can change easily. Most people wait till around week 5.

Also, most recruits want nothing so much as to come home, to their own beds, after boot camp. I live on the west coast too, and thought my son quite an adventurer , till I got that week 5 call with his orders. When I asked him if he'd like to spend his leave vacationing with us back there, he got very quiet, and said "If it is okay with you, ma'am, I want to come home." Talk about mom being undone.

Maybe make plans to vacation a week or so before graduation, and take your new graduate home with you, instead, before sending her on to her first unit.
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement