Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
My Journey Begins!
Last Post 18 Sep 2016 07:11 AM by chiefthinkerupper. 28 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
chiefthinkerupper

--
25 Mar 2012 09:05 PM
    I've been browsing the forum for a few weeks and feel now is the right time to join in. My recruitment process is moving along, so I thought it would be safe to talk about it. For me it's like being pregnant, you don't want to mention it too soon or you might jinx it...

I have completed my ASVAB and I'm content with the score [81]. I have my MEPS date, April, 3rd. My excitement about the Coast Guard is starting to peak and if I don't talk about it I might explode from it! 

I have scoured this forum for answers to my own questions and have found a lot of help here, I thank you all! I'll leave my introduction at that for now.

I was originally given misinformation about the age limitation when I was 35. I have been given the same misinformation every year since when I contacted my recruiter for an update. I finally contacted another recruiter after not getting a response this year and was told that I did in fact qualify. So here I am at 39 living out my dream.... at the moment I am proceeding day by day making sure nothing will jinx my opportunity.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Ocelot Jones

--
    25 Mar 2012 09:29 PM
    Welcome & congrats.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    25 Mar 2012 09:33 PM
    Welcome...enjoy your journey!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    chiefthinkerupper

--
    25 Mar 2012 09:36 PM
    Thanks!
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    26 Mar 2012 05:31 AM
    Congratulations. Yeah, never listen to "Them" always talk to someone who actually has the regulations in front of them! I'm glad you will be able to proceed! Best of luck. If you have any questions you can't find answers to, let us know. We'll do our best to help.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    chiefthinkerupper

--
    26 Mar 2012 07:23 AM
    At the moment I believe I am good to go unless something crops up at MEPS (which I do not believe will happen.) I am concerned with credit history and nervous about the background check. The nerves come from nothing other than not knowing the process/procedure, the concern comes from (2) charge offs on my credit report. Both Charge offs are at or over 7 years old. Any experience or comments?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    26 Mar 2012 08:17 AM
    I'm not sure about the time they have been on there, how far back the CG goes. But if they do appear, charge offs will be a problem. You will need to get those satisfied. One of our resident recruiters will have better answers on that for you.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    26 Mar 2012 01:19 PM
    If the charge offs appear on your credit report they will be an issue. You can run your own to see what's on it, if they show up get them taken care of. If they don't show up let your recruiter know. They can request a non-routine credit check on you and let you know.

Good Luck!
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    chiefthinkerupper

--
    05 Apr 2012 09:43 PM
    **UPDATE** I was DQ'd on 4/2/2012 for being 8 lbs overweight. I was originally told 175 so while at the hotel I ran with a sauna suite until I was under weight. I weighed in at MEPS and was 173. After I weighed in I was told by the doctor checking me that since weight was unwaivable I would finish my tests but would be DQ'd for the violation. I was informed that the actual weight was 165. I was 8 lbs over and I was told at the end of the day that I would be given 4 days for every pound to lose the weight and re-weigh in.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    09 Apr 2012 07:29 PM
    Total Bummer! Stay focused, you can loose 8 pounds in 32 days easy if you are motivated. Keep us posted we wish you the best!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    chiefthinkerupper

--
    16 Jun 2012 05:36 AM
    **UPDATE** I was cleared as "FULLY QUALIFIED" on 6/5/2012. After being DQ'd for being 8lbs over weight, (I weighed in at 173 but was told my weight would need to be 165.) it turns out that when I we re-checked for height and weight on 6/5/2012 that my qualifying weight should have been 170, I was measured and weighed in at 161. I have completed my RAAW paperwork and requested my primary and secondary positions, I am currently waiting for my RAAW to come back.

After I was given a pamphlet in the office I moved my first choice (MST) to second and picked another primary position (OS). After leaving the office I did my research and realized I was not at all interested in the (OS) position and would prefer the MST. I eMailed the recruiter but have not received a response about my request. Does anyone know what options I would have or whether it should be a concern that he will not attempt to place me in an MST position if an OS position is open?

Just an FYI my choices were based on open positions that were available at the closest base to me.
    chiefthinkerupper

--
    16 Jun 2012 05:38 AM
    Does anyone have details on the finance check that they can share? Is there a percentage of debt to income ratio they use or some sort of calculation?
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    16 Jun 2012 06:31 AM
    That is awesome news...enjoy and have a blast.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    17 Jun 2012 02:10 AM
    OS vs MST you'll have to contact your recruiter. They'll be able to help you make changes.

The debt to income ratio for active duty is 30% for the Reserves it's 80%. We have a form that makes the calculations.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    chiefthinkerupper

--
    18 Jun 2012 06:48 PM
    I contacted my recruiter and we have made the changes.

80% - is that debt to income? As long as by debt does not exceed 80% of my income I am good?

I am still getting conflicting info about items on my credit report. I have nothing "in collections" but I do have a charge off. I am told by some that this will be a problem and I am told that it wont by others. My recruiter feels that this will not be a problem. Do you have any experience in this area?
    chiefthinkerupper

--
    18 Jun 2012 07:01 PM
    I am a little confused, does child support get listed as part of the financial obligation statement?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    18 Jun 2012 07:04 PM
    Charge offs must be settled, that is a problem but easily fixable. Child support does count as well.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    19 Jun 2012 10:04 PM
    If you're going Reserves the debt to income is 80%. And, listen to your recruiter, and ONLY your recruiter. Everyone one is just guessing. Feel free to confirm with him the advice you get here.
    chiefthinkerupper

--
    03 Jul 2012 04:40 AM
    I just secured an MST billet with sector New York!!!
    Now comes the paperwork!
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    03 Jul 2012 05:23 AM
    That is awesome...enjoy.
    chiefthinkerupper

--
    30 Jul 2012 02:03 AM
    **UPDATE**
    In limbo while I wait for Boot Camp and A-School dates. Once the dates are in I can then complete the background paperwork online.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    30 Jul 2012 08:56 AM
    Limbo in wait for dates is ok and much better then a no go for dates...stay focused on your goal and you shall achieve it.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    31 Jul 2012 12:03 AM
    Once you get those dates though, time will FLY by. Just hang in there
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    chiefthinkerupper

--
    05 Dec 2012 12:22 PM
    **UPDATE**
    MST has been switched to MK. Based on my interests, skills, and length of A-School I am excited! I am looking at a January 2013 Bootcamp date and a April A-School date. I am awaiting final approval/clearance (back ground check.) I have also changed my location to Station Sandy Hook.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    10 Dec 2012 12:24 PM
    Not a bad update…2013 should be a great year for sure!
    chiefthinkerupper

--
    12 Feb 2013 04:33 AM
    **UPDATE**
    ALL CLEAR! Bootcamp has been switched to March 10th with a June 3rd A-School date. I swore in YESTERDAY!
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    12 Feb 2013 06:56 AM
    That is excellent! June 3rd sounds like it will be an awesome day for sure! Enjoy your journey and make us proud!
    naszero

--
    17 Feb 2013 06:08 PM
    Congrats! I assume you're going to DEPOT on March 10? I'll be there as well, look forward to meeting you
    chiefthinkerupper

--
    18 Sep 2016 07:11 AM
    **UPDATE**

CURRENTLY MK3 RESERVIST STA SANDY HOOK
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement