Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad Advice
Last Post 07 Apr 2012 04:12 PM by Cooch. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Trusted Member
Gears

--
05 Apr 2012 07:11 PM
    I have an AMA going on at www.terminallance.com a site dedicated to the Marines. I saw this today... http://terminallance.com/forum/inde...pic=6226.0 It's a thread about lying at MEPS. If you are thinking about lying to your recruiter or MEPS about a medical condition or anything else... DON'T. If you lie and it comes up in your security clearance investigation you will be discharged for fraudulent enlistment. The person posting in the thread bragging about getting away with lying probably doesn't realize their account can be traced back to them and their unit. Again. Don't lie.

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    05 Apr 2012 07:31 PM
    I encourage all of our applicants to read that thread. It illustrates how to be disqualified immediately, and it also sheds light on how it is to be recruited by the other services. As a Coast Guard recruiter, I will never lie to my applicants. I don't need to. And as one of my applicants, if you ever lie to me, it will result in a swift disqualification, with no second chances. There's too many people that want your spot, and they're willing to be honest with me to get the spot. Also, just so you know, when you fill out your security clearance paperwork, you sign a medical release form. This form gives the government permission to investigate your medical history, and they WILL find out if you were being dishonest.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    05 Apr 2012 07:32 PM
    Personally, reading through that thread does not impress me with ANY of them. They all talk about the one thing or another that they lied about and laugh that they got away with it. Fabulous way to live up to the Marine Corps core values, they must have some! Then the auto signatures some of the "people" (I prefer the term animal, in this case) have are absolutely disgusting. The one about "she shouldn't worry about my ****, the gun at the back of her head should have her attention." Fabulous. I see something like that here there will be no second chances. I am far from having virginal ears or even a clean & pure vocabulary... but that... there is nothing impressive by anyone on that thread in the very least.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    07 Apr 2012 09:43 AM
    It seems we have some inter-service bellyaching going on.

For any Marines that are reading this, the thread wasn't meant to disrespect your service. It was used to show an example of what not to do at MEPS, regardless of which branch you're applying for. There are a good amount of people on that thread encouraging the OP to tell the truth, and those guys have my respect.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Gandler

--
    07 Apr 2012 03:19 PM
    I don't think that is the recruits fault. Since according to the thread his recruiter advised that he not tell them. I would say that is more a problem with the recruiter promoting bad behavior than the recruit.

As somebody who is in the recruiting process I know nothing about UCMJ or the technicalities of military law so if my recruiter tell me to say or do something I would have to assume it is legal. Just like any other job, if you are in the hiring process are you going to argue or question the hiring manager if he tell you to do something that you may find slightly shady?

According to the posters he was honest with his recruiter but his recruiter "advised" him to lie to MEPS. I would say that brings up more issues with the recruiter than the recruit.

Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    07 Apr 2012 04:12 PM
    They're both wrong. The recruiter is wrong for advising the applicant to lie, and the applicant is wrong for going forward with the lie. The applicant signs multiple forms that affirm that they have given nothing but truthful answers while at MEPS. They essentially full out the same paperwork at MEPS that they do in the recruiting office. This is a method that is pretty successful in catching people in the act of lying. The bottom line is that the applicant is ultimately responsible for their answers and will be held accountable for them. The recruiter is very, very wrong in these cases, but they're not the ones with their butt on the line. We have it easy in the CG because we aren't faced with insane quotas like some of the other services. We have the luxury of being able to tell our applicants to be 100% honest throughout the process. USMC recruiters are probably under a lot of pressure to make their mission.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement