Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Student Reserve.... Does it exist???
Last Post 14 Apr 2012 03:46 PM by eaw913. 14 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
NJhopeful

--
05 Apr 2012 07:01 PM
    I Was accepted to and am attending college in the fall.  I am also very interested in the Coast Guard.

I have heard that there is not a Coast Guard ROTC, but rather something called Student Reserves.

Does this in fact exist and how does it work?  

I'd like to be a Coast Guard reservist AND attend college if possible.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    05 Apr 2012 07:14 PM
    You can attend college while in the reserves. The website is slightly inaccurate though. We have a program that is similar to ROTC. It's called the College Student Pre-commissioning Initiative (CSPI) program. You can learn more about it here:

Www.gocoastguard.com/cspi

It covers junior and senior year, and you go to OCS right after you graduate, wih only a 3 year commitment after graduation from OCS.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    NJhopeful

--
    05 Apr 2012 10:21 PM
    Thanks for the reply Cooch.

This forum is great for those interested in learning a bit before visiting a recruiter.  It answers some of the questions we might have and the meeting with the recruiter might be better focused rather than on these little issues.

I'm still confused though.  There's a USDOD website that lists the same Student Reserve. http://www.todaysmilitary.com/befor...c-programs

Thanks again for the help!
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    05 Apr 2012 10:42 PM
    I don't recruit for the Reserves out of my office, so I may not be 100% in the know on all the Reserve programs, but I have never heard of the Student Reserve. Maybe Gears or Chukles could chime in on that for clarification.

As far as CSPI, the way it works is once accepted, your job is to go to school and complete your degree. You get paid roughly $2500.00 per month depending on the housing allowance in your area. Your sole job is to get good grades and graduate on time. Once you graduate, we send you to OCS. It's an amazing program.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    06 Apr 2012 06:00 AM
    The student reserve program ceased to exist around 2005 if I remember correctly.

If you want the most accurate information on available programs, refer to the official source, a coast guard recruiter or our website, www.gocoastguard.com.

Any other website you go to will not be updated real time with current regulations and programs. About.com is another often quoted website that more often than no is wrong as well.
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    NJhopeful

--
    06 Apr 2012 07:15 AM
    Thanks, hopefully someone can clarify the Student Reserve program!

The CSPI program sounds amazing! I looked into the details. It looks like I would start sophomore year. Is there anything I can do to get involved freshman year?
    chukles

--
    06 Apr 2012 07:18 AM
    I just clarified it for you. Whar other information are you looking for. It no longer exists. CSPI is the current student program
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    NJhopeful

--
    06 Apr 2012 07:28 AM
    Thanks chukles.  That is confusing though to find that information on a website presented by the US Dept of Defense. http://www.todaysmilitary.com/befor...c-programs
    NJhopeful

--
    06 Apr 2012 07:31 AM
    Ok, thank you.  I didn't see your other post before I replied.

Any suggestions on what a college freshman can do their 1st year to be involved with the coast guard?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    06 Apr 2012 07:56 AM
    If you don't join the reserves or active duty, you can definitely look at joining the auxiliary for the time being.
    NJhopeful

--
    06 Apr 2012 02:10 PM
    Thank you again.

I'm confused right now as I head towards college.

I want to go to college.  I like education.  But I also want to serve my country and know someone personally who highly recommends the Coast Guard.

I'd love to have serve and pay for my education but dont want to miss any school.

The CSPI sounds awesome but my SAT might not make me eligible.

What would recommend for someone like me?
    chukles

--
    06 Apr 2012 02:21 PM
    For the CSPI program, you can use SAT, ACT, or an ASVAB GT score. Below is the informationfor the CSPI program eligibility.

COLLEGE STUDENT PRE-COMMISSIONING INITIATIVE (SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM)

Imagine having your college junior and senior years fully funded. Now imagine getting a salary while you complete your college degree.

That's what the College Student Pre-Commissioning Initiative (CSPI) scholarship program offers college sophomores and juniors. Better yet, this scholarship provides students with valuable leadership, management, law enforcement, navigation and marine science skills and training. It also provides full payment of school tuition, fees, textbooks, salary, medical insurance, and other benefits during a student's junior and senior year of college. The CSPI program's goal is to train future officers for success and prepare them for the rigors of Officer Candidate School (OCS).

Each student is expected to complete his/her degree and all Coast Guard training requirements within 24 months after acceptance into the program. Following successful completion of OCS, the students will be commissioned as Coast Guard officers, committed to 3 years of active duty service.

College students interested in pursuing this scholarship opportunity must have a completed packet submitted to your recruiter no later than 10 January 2011.

Coast Guard members interested in the program must have a completed packet submitted to their respective ESO no later than 22 November 2011.

For more information pertaining to deadlines, click here.

Benefits:

May pay up to two academic years of college tuition
    Required textbook costs
    Required fees paid for up to two academic years
    Monthly salary of approximately $2,200
    Medical and Life Insurance
    30 days paid vacation per year
    Leadership training
    Application Eligibility Requirements:

SAT Reasoning Test: Combined 1100 on Mathematics and Critical Reading.
    SAT (taken prior to 2004): Combined 1100 on Mathematics and Verbal.
    ACT: Composite score of 23 or greater.
    ASTB: 4 AQR/4PFAR.
    SVAB: GT score of 109 or higher (110 prior to 1 Jul 04.) GT consists of combining the VE and AR scores.
    Be between 19 and 27 (applicants must have reached their 19th birthday, but not their 28th birthday as of 30 September of the fiscal year in which the panel convenes.)
    Must be a sophomore or junior undergraduate student enrolled or accepted for enrollment in a bachelor degree program at an accredited college or university designated as:
    Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) click here for accredited universities
    Hispanic-Serving Institutions (HSI) click here for accredited universities
    Tribal Colleges and Universities (TCU) click here for accredited universities
    The following colleges and universities located in Guam, Hawaii and New Mexico:
    (a) University of Guam
    (b) University of Hawaii at Manoa, Hilo, and West Oahu
    (c) Argosy University - Hawaii
    (d) Institute of American Indian and Alaska Native Culture
    Meet all physical requirements for a Coast Guard commission.
    Maintain a GPA of 2.5 or better on a 4.0 scale.
    Must be a U.S. citizen.
    Your college or university not eligible for CSPI? You may be eligible for some of the Coast Guard's other commissioning programs, including Officer Candidate School. Talk to your recruiter or check out all of the Officer Programs.

If you are ready to apply for a Coast Guard officer program, you must download the forms and complete all that are appropriate for the program of interest.
    manofthewild07

--
    14 Apr 2012 06:26 AM
    Posted By chukles on 06 Apr 2012 03:21 PM

Must be a sophomore or junior undergraduate student enrolled or accepted for enrollment in a bachelor degree program at an accredited college or university designated as:
    Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) click here for accredited universities
    Hispanic-Serving Institutions (HSI) click here for accredited universities
    Tribal Colleges and Universities (TCU) click here for accredited universities
    The following colleges and universities located in Guam, Hawaii and New Mexico:
    (a) University of Guam
    (b) University of Hawaii at Manoa, Hilo, and West Oahu
    (c) Argosy University - Hawaii
    (d) Institute of American Indian and Alaska Native Culture

That's the part that got me! I understand why they did that in the past, to get more minorities into the CG. But why should I be excluded from this great program because my university didn't meet their requirements? I think your school has to have at least 17% minorities not including international students...
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    14 Apr 2012 09:20 AM
    The percentage requirement no longer applies. It only applies to the schools mentioned above. If you want to participate in the program, you will have to apply and be accepted to a qualifying school. Once accepted into the program, you would then have to begin attending that school. There's no exclusion here, because anyone can apply to one of those schools.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    eaw913

--
    14 Apr 2012 03:46 PM
    Take me for example. I am a white male and I transferred to an HBCU for the program. They did not exclude me. I made the choice that it was worth it for the program so I did what was necessary. If you really want it you can do it. There are no racial barriers and I feel as though it will be a fantastic opportunity to experience something new and different while committing to my life dream.

Manofwild and NJhopeful, feel free to PM me with any questions you may have about the program. It's all fresh in my mind.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement