Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Rio Vista?
Last Post 11 Feb 2015 08:03 AM by ballykiss. 13 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
kaykay1130

--
10 Apr 2012 11:15 PM
    Is anyone familiar with this base/area?

-what does the base have that's open to dependents (commissary, annex, CDC, park(s), ITT)
    -are there barracks? if not, what is the housing like?
    -what do they do out of that base mainly?
    -how often do they have "libo"?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    11 Apr 2012 07:41 AM
    It looks like that is just a small station. I doubt there are any ammenities, no commissary or exchange. You will probably live on the economy there as well. I doubt there is housing. Liberty is granted when it is granted. Some units have more, some units have none. There is no way to answer that.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Ryanpann

--
    11 Apr 2012 05:40 PM
    Hey there, it's only 30m away from where I live. It's very small and on the delta, I believe they have a small bouy tender Operation and some security, checking boaters for life jackets ect. You can drive through Rio vista in 5 min. Very small not a whole lot going on from what I can tell. Could be rong but I don't think so... Are you or someone you know getting stationed there?
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    12 Apr 2012 03:26 AM
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    12 Apr 2012 03:20 PM
    Even though its a small station, they have a HUGE AOR. It was my #5 choice for BM3. Lots of LE experience there believe it or not.
    Ryanpann

--
    12 Apr 2012 04:15 PM
    Wow that's cool to know, yea I could see that
    kaykay1130

--
    13 Apr 2012 12:37 AM
    My coastie is at basic right now in Cape May (graduating on Apr 27) and I got his phone call about his duty station after basic being Rio Vista. Is it common that someone would only be at this station for 6 months for some kind of training?
    kaykay1130

--
    13 Apr 2012 01:30 AM
    I think I may have just found an answer to one of my questions while doing some research about the amenities.
    kaykay1130

--
    13 Apr 2012 01:32 AM
    Posted By FloridaGirl on 12 Apr 2012 04:26 AM
    Here is the unit info sheet: http://www.uscg.mil/hq/capemay/UIS/...VISTA.docx

Thank you!!! This definitely answered one of my questions/concerns. 
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    13 Apr 2012 07:06 AM
    He will likely be there until he goes to A school. That can be anywhere from 6 months to 3 years. I would bank on a longer time rather than a shorter time. The wait for schools can take quite a while. Any other questions? Let us know.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    hsfb24

--
    01 May 2012 05:58 PM
    KayKay,

I just left Station Rio Vista less than a year ago after serving there for three years. It was by far one of my favorite units that I have been to! Just like other people have commented, the base is really small. It is located in the small town of Rio Vista along the Delta. The Delta is a combination of rivers, sloughs and channels that was originally used by miners back in the 1840's. As mentioned, the area of responsibility (aor) covers over 1500 miles of waterways, which is enormous for one station to be responsible for!

There is family housing on base. There are eight family housing units available. When I left, only two of them were occupied. My family and I actually lived in one of the units for the majority of our tour. The housing is small, but the commute to work was great! .  However, housing is optional and there are several surrounding cities that offer more than Rio Vista can. Some of the common cities that crewmembers choose to live is Elk Grove, Fairfield, Vacaville, Brentwood and Antioch.

The main mission of Station Rio Vista is Search and Rescue and Law Enforcement. It is extremely busy during the summertime. It's well known for summer boating activity to include jet ski's, wakeboarding etc. During the winter, it slows down, but it the Delta still is occupied with recreational fisherman that like to catch their big fish! Sturgeon and striper are two major species of fish that are caught in the Delta.

When I left, the Station was on a port and starboard schedule. Which means, there are two sections that split the duty requirements. This schedule is very similar to what Firefighters do. Basically, you have two different work weeks, the long week and the short week. During the long week, you have duty on Monday and Tuesday, off Wednesday and Thursday, and then work Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The next week, the "short week", you are off Monday, Tuesday, work Wednesday Thursday, and then off Friday, Saturday and Sunday. However, this schedule might have changed...

I hope this helps. If you have anymore questions, just ask!
    ballykiss

--
    11 Feb 2015 04:01 AM
    Any updated information on Rio Vista? Or is it still pretty much the same? My daughter moving down there this month!

Thanks!!
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    11 Feb 2015 05:44 AM
    I would doubt there is much change. I do see housing was optional??? That's probably one of the biggest changes. The military is tightening the belt on that. If there is housing available, housing is where you'll live. Otherwise probably status quo.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    ballykiss

--
    11 Feb 2015 08:03 AM
    Thank you for the information. I will pass it along to my daughter. 

Cheers! 😊
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement