Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Reasons to be Discharged in Bootcamp
Last Post 17 Jun 2019 06:48 AM by Old Guard2. 47 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
AnitaBonita

--
11 Apr 2012 02:22 PM
    During basic training some people get reverted & are in Cape May longer then 8 weeks. Other people just feel they simply "can't" do it anymore & give up. Are there any other reasons recruits leave basic training early (besides if u fail an initial drug test etc.) or does it all rely on your actions & what you choose. Can CC's tell you that they think your not capable & make you leave or if u reach a max # of reversions your forced to be discharged?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    11 Apr 2012 02:23 PM
    I believe the max allowed is 3. Then they show you the door.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    11 Apr 2012 04:46 PM
    People can be discharged for medical, academic, or unsuitability reasons. The CCs will do everything they can to retain you and train you to standards. Three reversions/rephasings is typically the limit.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    sandeky5

--
    11 Apr 2012 06:10 PM
    I've been told that they have reverted people all the way back to the beginning before. Idk if they still do it and I haven't seen it happen, but I've seen someone get reverted 4 companies back and are still in boot camp. Other than that, go along with what Gears said. Another reason people get discharged is because they quit, and the biggest reasons for that are that they don't like their orders, they find it too mentally challenging, or they don't want to try and strive to do their best. We had a girl who quit because she got stationed on a cutter and that wasn't what she wanted. Dumbest reason I've seen so far. Why are you in the coast guard if you don't wanna be on the water? lol
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    11 Apr 2012 06:22 PM
    1 reversion 4 companies back is not the same thing as 4 reversions. In Jim's company, after the week 7 off base liberty he had a few shipmates, he can't remember if it was 4 or 5 that were dumped all the way back to week 3. I don't know what they did on that liberty but it was not anything good! So they went from starting their 8th and final week and went all the way back to week 3! But that was only counted as one reversion.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    11 Apr 2012 06:29 PM
    I had a guy graduate with us that was there for almost a year. Broke his arm and was put in suspended status until he healed. I also saw people kicked out instead of a reversion and visa versa.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    11 Apr 2012 09:45 PM
    Sad thing here is that those getting discharged have taken the opportunity to join away from a perfectly good applicant that got passed over for these duds that get discharged for not liking it or the ability to adjust...sad.
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    meinschloss

--
    12 Apr 2012 08:38 PM
    Posted By Old Guard2 on 11 Apr 2012 07:22 PM
    1 reversion 4 companies back is not the same thing as 4 reversions. In Jim's company, after the week 7 off base liberty he had a few shipmates, he can't remember if it was 4 or 5 that were dumped all the way back to week 3. I don't know what they did on that liberty but it was not anything good! So they went from starting their 8th and final week and went all the way back to week 3! But that was only counted as one reversion.
    I just got back from school in Cape May and while there I saw a week 7 female  who got orders to a cutter and all of a sudden decided she wasn't suited for the military lifestyle and she'd been trying to acclimate since she'd gotten there. I also did see a male recruit who not only got reverted back to the beginning again due to gaps in ship dates (although he didn't have to go through forming week again), but ultimately he couldn't hack it and he went home. It kind of sucked when we found his blouses at the Lucky Bag, but we can't keep them all.

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    12 Apr 2012 09:31 PM
    sheesh it seems if someone decides to up and quit because they don't like their orders they should have to repay the govt for the training costs...however if someone gave it their all and just couldn't do it-they should get a pass on repayment. This is a commitment after all...
    MilitaryMom

--
    17 May 2015 06:56 PM
    My son got reverted twice so far, once for not getting his haircut and the other for failing rack inspection. He likes his current company a lot better and it seems as though the CC really likes him. They made him one of the instructors for MOA, he got his orders and made arrangements for travel.

He's on his 6th week and after doing so well, failed to cover his pillow (didn't have time in the 15 min given) and now has to meet with the board so they can decide whether to revert him a 3rd time, discharge him or allow him to graduate. Says his current CC will be there to try and keep him so he can graduate but to prevent any bias, the board has requested for the previous 2 CC's to be there as well. 

What are the chances that he won't graduate? Im nervous for him since he really wants this and would like to graduate. 
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    17 May 2015 07:22 PM
    Good luck to your son.

I saw one kid get reverted 3 times, and after going to the board he was sent back to forming week. Unfortunately nobody here can predict the outcome of your son's situation. I honestly believe, though, that the CC's want to see motivated recruits succeed.
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    17 May 2015 08:02 PM
    Most people are discharged from boot camp because they quit and can't pass the initial PT test. Those are the biggest reasons.
    Other reasons include fail medical exam, fail dental exam, fail academically as well as others noted.
    MilitaryMom

--
    17 May 2015 08:37 PM
    Thank you.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    18 May 2015 03:28 PM
    MM....why didn't your son get his hair cut? Then he failed rack inspection? Reverted but "likes" this company better? Then can't cover his pillow? First off, who cares which company he "likes" better...you do what you have to do to be part of the team, to be the guy/gal your fellow recruits can count on. I don't mean to sound harsh but these all sound like excuses, not reasons.
    seentheseas

--
    20 May 2015 01:10 PM
    Guarantee there is a lot more to this than you are telling here and certainly your son is not telling you all the information you would want to know.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    20 May 2015 03:21 PM
    Alright, let's not make a mother's worry that much more. He is telling her what he feels is necessary and is appropriate for the situation. Making her feel like he isn't being completely honest or intentionally failing to meet objectives isn't going to make things any easier on already frazzled nerves. I know, I have a Coastie that was reverted. It was nerve wracking to say the least. But he persevered and I think is a better Coastie for the trials and tribulations. When her recruit comes home, after graduation, I'm sure then blanks can be filled in. Either way, reversion in boot camp means nothing once you are out in the fleet. It is a forgotten hiccup in what will hopefully be a long and fruitful career.

As I like to say, if you aren't part of the solution, you are my mother. Don't be my mother. Help, support, guide but keep the negativity to a minimum. This is a mom worried about her child. She might not have much, if any, exposure to military life and all of its quirks and necessities. She turned to us for answers and guidance. Please help to provide that.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    MilitaryMom

--
    20 May 2015 04:23 PM
    Thank you Old Guard 2, I really appreciate it. All I've shared is all I know especially when I only have 5 minutes with him when he calls.

After seeing the last 2 previous responses, I wasn't going to come back to this site & just delete my account that I newly created for help until I received your e-mail this evening. Its been tough for me as a mom since he is my ONLY family and I had him before I even turned 18. I don't personally know anyone in the military so this is where I turned to. Mothers Day was the worse for me, not having him around. 

To answer some questions, he's not intentionally trying to fail. He never had a father figure but has a heart of gold and a passion to help others (also helped a few of his classmates from committing suicide) so this whole thing is very new to him & I'm sure, a difficult but fruitful experience. In the end, he will be stronger because of it & I know he's in the right place.  

Old Guard 2, once again, I truly thank you for your positive & inspirational words and for the time you took to respond. Your feedback and sharing your son's experience has lightened my heavy heart. 

Thanks again, I really appreciat it.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    20 May 2015 05:34 PM
    /\ nice

No one needs negativity
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    20 May 2015 09:46 PM
    Your boy sounds like a good man. I'm sure it was hard for him on mother's day to be away from you. I truly hope he is doing well. Please keep us updated. Let us know if you need anything else. We will help.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Kinch

--
    22 May 2015 06:44 AM
    Hear Hear Old Guard.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ojrivera

--
    22 May 2015 08:54 AM
    It's not our place to speculate on someones circumstance, especially during boot camp since it's such a trying time for many recruits.
    heather

--
    09 Nov 2015 05:35 PM
    Does anyone know how this turned out for Military Mom's son? My son is in the exact same boat right now, facing review tomorrow, and I am a nervous wreck.
    If anyone is willing to talk with me about this, please send me an email. I could really use some information. Thank you
    jasat

--
    09 Nov 2015 06:59 PM
    someone pissed in my canteen. he was sent home soon after that.
    Elienara DeBorba

--
    18 Nov 2015 12:33 PM
    I got a phone call from my son last night saying he is going to be sent home after he failed on the physical push ups by 3. 

He was reverted twice before that and he was at RHE for the last three days before been told he was going to be discharged. I just need answers about what happened if three days before we were told he would joy another company. 
    I know he doesn't want to quit and he is working hard because he wants to succeed. I know he is devastated with the discharge news. 

Please, let me know what is happening and what next. Can he go back if yes when?! 
    Thank you, 
    Ellie
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    18 Nov 2015 01:13 PM
    I'm sorry your son is being discharged. It does happen. He would have joined another company had he passed the physical portion of things. If he still could not pass, even by 3 push ups, they will discharge. His eligibility to reenlist will be based on his RE code on the papers. Was he reverted the other times due to failed portions of the physical fitness test (PFT)? He would be able to speak to a recruiter in 6 months (minimum) and see about going back. If there were other reasons and there was possibly a failure to adapt. No, he probably will not be able to try again. I am sure they will lay out all of his options for him at Cape May. Again, I am sorry he didn't make it. He should have been provided the PFT requirements and should have been able to pass those requirements prior to shipping to boot camp. Best of luck.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Elienara DeBorba

--
    18 Nov 2015 01:29 PM
    Thank you for you answer. 
    As far as we were told he only failed the push-ups in all the retesting. My son is still in Cape May waiting to be sent home on the same day he was supposed to be graduating with his company. 

Seems most likely he will be able to join back the Coast Guard better prepared then. 
    Best regards, 
    Ellie
    OldHM

--
    01 Jan 2016 02:54 PM
    I know that I'm late to this thread. In reading what is posted coast guard Boot camp seems worse than what the marines go through. rolled back for not passing a rack inspection? I know going through Navy Boot camp in the 80s at navy recruit depot San Diego was tough but if we messed up we were mashed on the grinder. The only way you got rolled was being for health reasons, unable to comply or adapt to the Navy, or just being a soup sandwich from day one. Reading all this one can get the impression that you get rolled back for picking your nose wrong and any other minor infractions. Correct me if I'm wrong? If some kid reads this it might scare the crud out of him and set them up for failure.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    01 Jan 2016 03:54 PM
    i like to think of it as a bit of friendly motivation to come in knowing what youre getting into. its a serious deal and should be treated as such. i saw a video of some guy get in trouble because he had a mosquito biting his face and he decided to scratch while standing at attention in formation.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    01 Jan 2016 04:20 PM
    While it may seem like recruits get reverted for something simple like failing a rack inspection, picking their nose wrong, etc, believe me the majority of those events are just tipping points for the recruits. From what I saw at boot camp, most individuals who were reverted or even sent to RAMP showed a consistent pattern of underperforming, lack of focus, lack of motivation, lack of integrity, etc.
    OldHM

--
    01 Jan 2016 05:16 PM
    Ok, that makes more scence. So basically it is your typical soup sandwich that gets rolled.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement