Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
CG Institute - Oklahoma City, OK ?
Last Post 24 Jul 2013 09:08 PM by magmam. 62 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 3 << < 123 > >>
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
KD

--
25 Apr 2012 01:42 PM
And coastal/cutter orders don't always work out the way they seem at first. My son's first orders sounded creampuff: San Diego, on a 378. Cool beans, no?

No. The 378 (now decommissioned) had been non-functional and stationary for so long it was referred to as 'Building ###' rather than WHEC ###. Morale was at an all-time low; non-rates got masted for alcohol/drug violations regularly and even some of the senior NCOs had lost focus and heart. When they did get underway, things either caught fire or broke, and so they came back. And fixed stuff. A LOT.
In fact they fixed so much stuff that they got that old girl all brand new inside, so they could give her to 'a strategic partner' in good working order when she decommed.

He had been in for months and months by then, without a car, sharing a barracks room with a drugging, drinking roomie who eventually got discharged. But once underway! ---just let me say, nothing compares to mess cooking underway--- 30 days of dishes and trash for 160 people, 3x daily.

Find the happy place, john g.w. You've heard the story---there's gotta be a pony in there somewhere! If she's unhappy, she needs you to be her rock, not get down there with her.
Non-rate time does not last forever, no matter where you're stationed.
It just feels that way.
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
25 Apr 2012 01:58 PM
Excellent KD!
Sector NY, Staten Island
Basic Member
Basic Member
KD

--
25 Apr 2012 02:10 PM
Missed you lately, OG! Hope you've been well!
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
25 Apr 2012 02:46 PM
All is peachy. Actually, things have taken a very nice upswing in my life. So I REALLY am peachy.
Sector NY, Staten Island
john.g.w

--
25 Apr 2012 09:55 PM
Heck, I'm not complaining. I told her boss that she wanted some experience on a boat. He said they'll send her TAD to Texas for a few weeks to get some.

I can see where she's coming from though. I signed up to be infantry. If they told me my first assignment was working at the army's education center and I wouldn't be deploying, I'd be heartbroken. If they told me that today, or before I started my medical discharge, I would be ecstatic.
john.g.w

--
25 Apr 2012 10:03 PM
Mutual is a pay to move yourself kind of deal???

Scratch that idea lol.
Basic Member
Basic Member
NargilFenris

--
26 Apr 2012 08:10 AM
MILITARY ASSIGNMENTS AND AUTHORIZED ABSENCES 1.B.10.c.
Orders will specify that proceed time is not authorized, that regular leave is to be used in lieu of travel time, and must contain the following paragraph:
“This authorization is issued with the understanding you will not be entitled to reimbursement for mileage or expense in connection with it. If you do not desire to pay this expense, this authorization is cancelled.”
If you were hoping for the A Team you will be sorry to know you got the F Troop.
Basic Member
Basic Member
NargilFenris

--
26 Apr 2012 12:46 PM
Guess who's welcome aboard message just appeared?
If you were hoping for the A Team you will be sorry to know you got the F Troop.
john.g.w

--
26 Apr 2012 10:09 PM
what's that mean?
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
26 Apr 2012 10:28 PM
I was wondering myself?? Nargil, whose welcome aboard message? What are you talking about?
Sector NY, Staten Island
Trusted Member
Cooch

--
26 Apr 2012 10:37 PM
I'm guessing it was the message for the spouse that's going to the CG Institute.
You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
Basic Member
Basic Member
NargilFenris

--
27 Apr 2012 06:10 AM
On the nose for Cooch. And a welcome aboard message is pretty much that, with additional info about the unit, contact numbers, and reporting-in information.
john.g.w

--
27 Apr 2012 09:30 AM
What, it got sent out for my wife? I already got the packet from the YN3 at the institute. I emailed it to my wife already too. She just hadn't gotten anything from her sponsor or the institute when I'd talked to her Saturday.
Basic Member
Basic Member
Browns24

--
27 Apr 2012 11:22 AM
Its a message on one of our internal systems. What you received was maybe the welcome aboard packet. The message can be seen by other coast guard members that are set up to receive the messages at the Institute.
Basic Member
Basic Member
NargilFenris

--
27 Apr 2012 03:32 PM
@_@ I see everything, nah just kidding I just check our message system every morning and happened to notice a welcome aboard message to the CGI.
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bells

--
27 Apr 2012 06:58 PM
im just gunna say, Iv'e never had a spouse contact my unit for incoming personnel from bootcamp. It is kind of their own deal. and I am pretty much the go to sponsor for all of our incoming people. The sponsors know what they are doing. The last one I had, I saw the message, saw the company she was in, saw their bootcamps diary lol, saw that she had my old CC and emailed him up. We've all been there and want their transition to be smooth. They get limited email time so any questions they have are usually enroute, which I give them my cell so that they can ask anything. If a spouse contacted me, especially about transfering, before she even got there, I would be kind of pissed. Typically those types of questions aren't even supposed to come out until after the member is qualified and spent some time at the unit.
Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
john.g.w

--
28 Apr 2012 10:08 AM
Well the only questions I had were about places to live and local colleges. Things I'm concerned about. Anything else they told me was info they volunteered. Anything else I left to my wife to find out for herself.
And I wouldn't mind my wife contacting my unit to get info for me. I don't see how or why that'd be a problem.
Trusted Member
Cooch

--
28 Apr 2012 10:20 AM
It has the potential to reflect poorly on the member. It could make it seem like either she is incapable of doing her own legwork or she is weak, or that you as the spouse are trying to have your hands in the situation too much. While those may not be the truth, it could appear that way. And remember, perception is reality in the military.
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
28 Apr 2012 11:09 AM
I don't think we ever once had a sponsor that did a damn thing for us. We had one... we were assigned to MSO KODIAK... our sponsor sent us a map, bus schedule, restaurant take out menus, apartment listings... for ANCHORAGE. Yeah, that was helpful. We never looked for a thing from our "sponsor" after that. I wouldn't see a spouse calling a sponsor and asking about potential rental places or local schooling options as a poor reflection. That IS what a spouse should worry about. Also, a spouse sitting at home waiting out the last few weeks of boot camp can start looking at real estate listings and have an idea from the sponsor west side of town, bad. East side of town, expensive. South side of town, affordable and nice community just a bit further to work. ALl of that seems totally reasonable questions to ask and start research. If the spouse is calling and asking precise duty information or what exactly a day will consist of, that wouldn't be the best thing in the world to do. Let her figure out work on her own. But good grocery store versus bad, not a bad thing. It's all in how you ask the questions.
Sector NY, Staten Island
Trusted Member
Cooch

--
28 Apr 2012 11:28 AM
I was basing my response on an earlier post where he said that he told her boss that she wants to get some cutter experience and the boss agreed to sed her TAD. This is the wife's career, and these are things for her to discuss with her supervisors. She needs to take charge of her own career. Asking about housing and grocery shopping is fine, but it needs to end there. If I had a spouse calling me and telling me what the member wants to do with their career, I would view it as either a weak member, or a controlling spouse. Either way, it wouldn't look favorably.
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bells

--
28 Apr 2012 12:45 PM
Same, that is what I was getting at too, that he told them she wanted a cutter.

If it was a spouse contacting for housing and stuff like that, I can understand that because we are gone for half a year. Or contacting the ombudsman. But with mutuals and TAD requests... thats a little out of line. Its like your not even giving the unit a chance. And they teach that in bootcamp, during the briefs where the CCs talk to the company and the company can ask any question. That, if you want to strike, or go TAD, put in for OCS or anything, that you shouldn't ask until you are fully qualified and a competent member of the unit. Both reserve and active.

People have been coming out of bootcamp for eons. We know its chaos and they only get email time the last few weeks of boot..

But Macie you are right, sometimes sponsors just don't even want to deal with it. If someone in our dept is like that usually someone will volunteer to take over. And sometimes there are just mixups, like we didn't know one of my BM2s was coming until the day he showed up at Dutch Harbor Airport... and he told the JO that lol he was reporting when she went to pick up a bootcamp grad.
Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
Basic Member
Basic Member
NargilFenris

--
28 Apr 2012 04:19 PM
I think I bombard people I sponsor with a ton of information because I hate being left out in the cold and don't want others to feel the same. I have been fortunate to sponsor 3 "A" schoolers so far and hope to continue doing so.
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
28 Apr 2012 04:50 PM
I can even understand saying "Wow, this assignment caught us off guard, she was figuring a ship... OKC?? WOW!" But yeah, I do agree laying out her desire to go elsewhere and possibly mutual or go to a ship or whatever... boundaries, there are spousal boundaries!
Sector NY, Staten Island
Basic Member
Basic Member
KD

--
28 Apr 2012 08:30 PM
OldGuard2, I am glad you brought that up about the sponsors.
My son had zero contact with his sponsor for his first unit. Good thing he's bomb proof, because he had no idea what was up or what to do--he just reported and refused to leave till someone took charge of him....literally just sat in an office looking at the people there, till they finally said, "Well, okay, do this." No one knew who he was or that he was coming, or what to do with him.
It's not that huge a deal when he was reporting to an underway cutter at a place with available barracks, but it can be a wild ride for the new ones that need to find a place on the economy, or who have a family arriving shortly.
Big fan here of info overload, NargilFerris. Way to sponsor. I hear the opposite story from families all too often.
john.g.w

--
28 Apr 2012 09:26 PM
Yeah, my wife hasn't had any contact with her sponsor. She emailed the YN3 because I forwarded her the email I got. And they emailed my wife the same welcome aboard packet I sent her lol
KILO_P_D_S_S

--
30 Apr 2012 10:20 AM
To Old Guard 2,

What happened to your son and his first unit is beginning to look like the very same outcome as my own. I just graduated from boot camp this past Friday. I have tried to contact my sponsor, Housing manager, Yeoman, and I was finally able to contact my Ombudsman, but there was almost no information passed onto me. I don't know if my Cutter is in port or underway. The Welcome Aboard letter I received says that I would most likely live on the economy. My father wants to come with me to find an apartment and help me move in, but I have no idea what I am in for. How did it work out for your son when he had to wing it?
KILO_P_D_S_S

--
30 Apr 2012 10:23 AM
Belay My last Old Guard 2,
My Previous Message is to KD
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
30 Apr 2012 11:06 AM
I'll give a part of any answer... have your father go with you. I was 44 when I moved to Texas a few years ago. I had already flown down, went house hunting, knew where the local grocery store was and was set to go. My dad decided he would tag along with me, putting a few extras in his truck for me. I know what it was... He wanted to make sure I was in a nice neighborhood, a nice house, I would be ok where I was headed... So your dad going with you is only a plus. He can help you get settled with a few things.

As far as the not knowing... You'll find it all out when you get there. That is a stinky answer, I know. But you'll manage. The CC's taught you well and you can handle it. But it will still be nice to have someone along for the ride. So if it is close enough or dad can afford the trip, take him up on the offer.
Sector NY, Staten Island
Basic Member
Basic Member
KD

--
30 Apr 2012 11:38 AM
Kilo, what OldGuard2 said ^^^^

If you're going to be on the economy, you will either get temporary quarters or $$ for a hotel, but either way you will get time to find a place. Coasties young and old travel with family members all the time, for company and backup. As long as Dad doesn't actually report with you, no one will think anything of it!
Do a little research before you go, about the area, public transport if you don't have a car, etc. but don't stress. Never seen a homeless coastie yet.

For my son it was a little different: he was in San Diego, and knew he would be assigned barracks eventually as a single non-rate . And like I said, he's bombproof....he just doesn't sweat stuff. They said report, so he showed up and just didn't leave till someone found a place to put him. His catchphrase is ,"Mom, I'll figure it out."
I wish I could be like that sometimes! Best wishes on your new assignment!
Come back for help when you need it, and let us know how you get on.
Basic Member
Basic Member
Browns24

--
01 May 2012 05:32 PM
Kilo, what unit are you reporting to?? Many of us may know someone there and will be willing to lend a hand with the info your looking for
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 3 << < 123 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement