Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Drill in Boot?
Last Post 30 Apr 2012 10:13 AM by KILO_P_D_S_S. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
TheTallestGuy

--
15 Apr 2012 02:33 PM
    So, I've been in my high school JROTC for four years, and on the Drill Team for the last 2. I've watched multiple boot camp videos, and I see recruits doing rifle movements, left/right shoulder and the like.

Compared to someone who has no previous knowledge, I think I know quite a bit about drilling. Some of the stuff in the videos, like to-the-rear, columns, flanks, etc., is pretty simple to me.

My question is, when we're learning that, will there be any time that I get to help out my fellow recruits and give them advice, or should I just go with the flow?

Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    15 Apr 2012 03:31 PM
    Just go with the flow. The CC's want you to learn it their way, which is straight from the Marine Corps ceremonial drill manual. There might be times where you can help your shipmates, but as far as the initial instruction goes, leave that to your CCs.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    15 Apr 2012 05:32 PM
    This stuff is literally the first stuff you learn so the company isnt embarressing to your CCs. the only time your going to be able to help is during divine hours on sundays but even then your not supposed to be talking. You might be given the opportunity to be the guidon
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    sandeky5

--
    19 Apr 2012 06:26 AM
    Actually we were given the chance to practice on our own in Healy Hall Drill Hall, and we also compressed main muster squad bay and practice in there, so your CC's should give you a chance to practice and since you already have a bit of experience, step up and lead (call commands, etc.), but your cc's will do it with you first. Oh and when you do drill, NEVER HIT THE BUTT PLATE ON THE DECK XD. Ease the piece to the deck. I had a year of armed exhibition drill experience, so I already knew all the movements coming in which helped tremendously. I stepped up and checked other people to make sure they did the movement's correctly. Pay BIG ATTENTION to Attention to Detail. One tiny almost unnoticeable screw up could cost in your test
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    19 Apr 2012 07:39 AM
    A lot of these things truly depends on your company. Our CCs would show us a movement once, and then we had to figure it out on our own. But not every company does things the same way. Like Cooch said, go with the flow. Maybe you'll get to help out, maybe you won't.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    USCG_DeJesus

--
    22 Apr 2012 06:27 PM
    In my opinion along with my shipmates here, it really depends on your CCs. I was in Victor-185, and my CCs gave us some practice but also gave us our own time to catch our 'not so' squared away shipmates up to speed. When I was in BC Uniform 185 practiced daily so they're CCs didnt give them any individual time. It really depends on your CCs.
    KILO_P_D_S_S

--
    30 Apr 2012 10:13 AM
    You will see, there are many different styles of how to march. Your instructors have there preferences. It will actually be easier for those that have no marching experience than those that have. You will have to teach yourself that the way you were taught was right for JROTC but wrong for Coast Guard. However, If you are well trained at Manual Of Arms, you will be a strong support to your shipmates in the middle to later weeks. While teaching them, be supportive. Your shipmates will need you to be serious about learning the steps and staying focused but also uplifting and encouraging to them when they are trying. P.S.- The More POP you have with your piece, the higher your score
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement