Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Recruiting question
Last Post 21 Apr 2012 01:35 PM by captkyguy. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
skids2212

--
20 Apr 2012 03:02 AM
    First would like to say that this forum site is great there is so much info on this site

Well i am 20 years old i did pritty good in high school and i went to a Vocational School(The Motorcycle Mechanical Institute) and graduated with a 3.9gpa. I took what i learned there and i now work as a tech in a motorcycle dealership. But the CG has being something i always wanted to do since i was a kid cause i live and grew up in the seattle area so i spent most my summers on the water. Over the last couple months i started to realize that i want to pursue this so i contacted a recruiting office and they send me a app and i filled it out and sent it out

After reading this i just got a few things that im kinda worried about
    -i got 2 speeding tickets, just speeding no reckless or negligent 
    -Seeing that i did go to school i got about 25k of student loans(works out to be about 280$ a month)

Also i am wondering about some ways to make myself look like a better applicant 
    -does the fact that i sought out higher education make me look better?
    -is it ever to soon to follow up a app (i know there very busy i just want to be sure that they got it and i dident fill something out wrong ect ect)

Any imput is much appreciated 
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    20 Apr 2012 04:58 AM
    The recruiters can better answer the debt question, but I am pretty sure you are good on that.

Alot of people joining have an education past highschool.

If you want to get in, then ya follow up with the recruiter, the process of getting in is pretty extensive and they will be able to tell you any hurdles you need to get over.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Ryanpann

--
    20 Apr 2012 12:31 PM
    Welcome skids I just went through this and I'm leaving for boot camp in 7 weeks. I have learned that it is a very small community and very competitive. The CG has the highest standards for ASVAB and I would say in most areas. I feel like it was only by the grace of God I got in. Seriously. Your Extra school is great but the only thing it can do for you Without a degree is give you a huge leap over people like me who have no Machanical skill and want to become an Aviation Maintenance Tech or any other mechanical rate. As far as your recruiter, they are great people but really don't care if you get in or not ha so I would call at least once a month or so or just email and remind him your alive and appreciate all he is doing for you etc... It might take a while but if everything goes smooth with your ASVAB and at MEPS then it's pretty easy sailing! And could only take 5 months to get to boot, I've seen it happen. It has taken me 8 or 9 months from applying to boot camp, I had a rough go at it though. Had to take my ASVAB twice, went to MEPS 3 times because they were either having a bad day and sent over half of the future coasties home or the power went out etc... Basically if you're going to go for it now is the best time, things are changing with budget cuts and it's only going to get harder to join. Good luck!!! If you have any other Qs "Bells" "Old Guard2" and "Gears" seem to be the People to ask.
    Ryanpann

--
    20 Apr 2012 12:33 PM
    And yore tickets should not be a problem if they are paid for. I had like 4 or 5 and it was never brought up.
    meeks1882

--
    20 Apr 2012 04:25 PM
    I had a few speeding tickets myself. Never was an issue. As far as the debt thing, I think as long as it is good debt, it shouldn't be an issue. By good debt I mean it was a student loan that you make your payments on time. I've got a horrible credit history (credit is better now that I monitor it and have worked hard to get it somewhat back to normal.) My credit was never questioned either.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    20 Apr 2012 04:55 PM
    Posted By Ryanpann on 20 Apr 2012 12:31 PM
    Welcome skids I just went through this and I'm leaving for boot camp in 7 weeks. I have learned that it is a very small community and very competitive. The CG has the highest standards for ASVAB and I would say in most areas. I feel like it was only by the grace of God I got in. Seriously. Your Extra school is great but the only thing it can do for you Without a degree is give you a huge leap over people like me who have no Machanical skill and want to become an Aviation Maintenance Tech or any other mechanical rate. As far as your recruiter, they are great people but really don't care if you get in or not ha so I would call at least once a month or so or just email and remind him your alive and appreciate all he is doing for you etc... It might take a while but if everything goes smooth with your ASVAB and at MEPS then it's pretty easy sailing! And could only take 5 months to get to boot, I've seen it happen. It has taken me 8 or 9 months from applying to boot camp, I had a rough go at it though. Had to take my ASVAB twice, went to MEPS 3 times because they were either having a bad day and sent over half of the future coasties home or the power went out etc... Basically if you're going to go for it now is the best time, things are changing with budget cuts and it's only going to get harder to join. Good luck!!! If you have any other Qs "Bells" "Old Guard2" and "Gears" seem to be the People to ask.
    To clarify, you got in by the grace of your recruiter. 

You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    20 Apr 2012 05:05 PM
    give you a huge leap over people like me who have no Machanical skill and want to become an Aviation Maintenance Tech

I had no mechanical skill, I was Honor Grad in MK "A" School. It had less to do with skill and more to do with working my ass off.

they are great people but really don't care if you get in or not

I care whether or not the people I'm working with get in or not. Sometimes, it's just not possible or the wait is going to be a long one. Either way, it matters.

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    20 Apr 2012 05:08 PM
    People assume we don't care because they don't do our job and they don't see every ounce of effort, sweat, and stress that goes into it. That's a pretty ignorant assumption, but it's a common one. They don't see how hard we take it when an applicant that we really like gets disqualified after putting in tons of effort. But people are free to keep on assuming what they assume. Doesn't bother me.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Ryanpann

--
    20 Apr 2012 05:43 PM
    Wow! ha I'm sorry. So...
    I didnt assume, I was told "we don't really care cause the CG isn't In a rush to get people in."
    Also, Cooch please forgive me, i appriciate that you truley care. I should of been more specific, I wasn't speaking on behalf of ALL recruiters, just my experience, I Didnt mean to step on any toes. And yea I choose to give credit to God in all occasions, so what does that matter? Ok... by Gods Grace I was given a great recruiter.
    Yes Gears I understand thats why i said "Could" But you can't say it doesn't help to have a good understanding of something before getting involved, does it mean your going to be the best? No. Does it mean you can be lazy? No. But Knowledge is always better to have than not to have. Right?
    Sincerely, I Don't mean any disrespect! But a little freedom to comment is nice
    Welcome the the Forum skids

skids2212

--
    20 Apr 2012 07:19 PM
    Thanks for the imput everyone...I'm hopeing its all gonna work out I haven't felt this excited about something in a while
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    20 Apr 2012 07:22 PM
    But you can't say it doesn't help to have a good understanding of something before getting involved

This is true. The "A" school courses are designed so a 6 year old can understand. And, the instructors break everything down so it's easily digestible. Experience can be a bane and a boon. The knowledge of concepts can give you an edge, but your experience can come with bad habits or methods that aren't used in the CG.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    20 Apr 2012 07:40 PM
    we had a guy who didn't own a computer at all in our IT A school class...it's a lot of info but it's all well broken down.

A school is designed to help you achieve the minimum requirements to complete the job. Most of your learning will be on the job but they will give you the building blocks.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    21 Apr 2012 01:35 PM
    Posted By Gears on 20 Apr 2012 07:22 PM

Experience can be a bane and a boon. The knowledge of concepts can give you an edge, but your experience can come with bad habits or methods that aren't used in the CG.

So very, very true in the fire service...some of the worst recruits are the previously experienced ones, they simply think they already know everything and do not pay attention, they are usually the first ones to mess it up, or say the infamous "but in such and such department we did it this way"...we don't care, do it our way period! There is nothing worse then hearing those words come out of a recruit's mouth. They just don't get it, they don't!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement