Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
What motivates you to be a coastguards men/women?
Last Post 07 Jun 2012 02:35 PM by yelsmekjay@live.com. 13 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
Kchan

--
24 Apr 2012 04:46 PM
    I think this thread would be great to get to know some of the  members in this fellow forum. So what motivates you become/be a coastguard men/women? I was thinking of becoming a teacher but my heart was not in it and I would do a disservice to students if it was not my passion. Than one day I was hanging out with one of my buddies that was already in the coast guards and he told me great things about it. I did some research on all the branches and decided why not do it? I already graduated with a degree and I can't seem to find any decent jobs in this economy. Mind as well follow my childhood dream and at the same time serve my country right? So here I am now qualified and waiting for a date. It has been a crazy journey but I know this will be worth it once I am in.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Kchan

--
    24 Apr 2012 04:51 PM
    Oh and also I am the first person in my whole family to join the military. I thought it would be awesome to do something the family has not done and pave my own path.

Edit: also for people who are already in, what made you choose your rate?
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    24 Apr 2012 07:46 PM
    ummmmm, its those moments, I had one today, where it all hits you and your like,"wow I am actaully doing this".

Lol I was tying bowlines all over the place. Getting ready for avstan.

I did the same I went to boot the June after college graduation, and I love it. Ive been in two years very shortly and should be advancing to BM3 this or next week, whenever my command feels like it, i still need to get crows GOD.

Other than that, as a whole, no matter how small your part js in your unit, to your district and then to the Organization and country, you know your making difference. There are many pieces to the puzzle for a reason.

Just don't get discouraged and take every day as a step in the right direction, or left. I usually have to have heart to hearts with some of the younger kids, like once a week, telling them everhthing they do IS apprieciated, and that they will have good weeks and bad weeks, but eventually everything works out, patience is key.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    24 Apr 2012 07:51 PM
    i still need to get crows GOD

Your first pair should be handed down to you from Senior BMs. Never tack on your own first set of crows.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    24 Apr 2012 11:23 PM
    my second has the pinning devices i need the sew on ones, and my bravo jacket is still fireman status lol
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    25 Apr 2012 08:18 PM
    My ex-husband isn't a member of the forum but I was there with him so I'll answer for him... He was a kitchen manager and line cook. He loved the work. I wasn't so crazy about it. Then 1985, we were going to NYC on New Year's Eve to watch the ball drop. I was dressed and just waiting for him to pick me up... no Jim, no Jim, no Jim... where's Jim??? In the weeds at work and nowhere close to leaving! He comes FLYING into my house at about 11:58pm yelling "Did I miss it?????" We kissed a minute later at midnight and I told him he gets out of the restaurant business or I get out of the engagement business. This happened a lot, the kitchen came first. I was fed up. So he joined the military! Oh that was better, God knows the military never keeps you late or disrupts plans?? LOL But I have to admit, it was an amazing and excellent choice. He has never regretted a single moment and I never did either when we were married. I am still probably more proud of him than anyone else. He is an amazing Coastie and I'm so very proud of the work he has done.

Then comes my son... He was working as a waiter in Fort Worth, Texas. (Gee, this nut didn't fall far from the tree, did it?) He was not doing well... People in Texas don't always tip so great and his restaurant never had the slammers like his dad's restaurant had. So here he is 19, working a job that he'll NEVER be able to afford a life of his own. But he is sticking it out and doing well and he does really enjoy it. Then one day he comes in from work and I just simply say "Hey kid, how was your night?" Now that particular day Colin went in for a lunch shift and worked until about 9pm. So it was a shift & a half. His answer... "I made seven." In shock I pretty much yelled "DOLLARS?????" He confirmed, 10 hours at work and pocketed 7 bucks! That was when he said to me "Do you think you can take me to the CG recruiter this week?" So far he has had a pretty good career, a couple of stupid things but overall doing very well. I think he will make this a career just like his dad.

Now his dad is an officer and wanted that. He achieved it. Colin wants to just be a crusty old Senior Chief with a coffee cup permanently attached to his hand and a salt spray wrinkled face. Either way one is almost done with a great career and the other is working towards a great career.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    25 Apr 2012 10:08 PM
    I had always had this desire to help people, but never could figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up. I was recruited heavily in high school because I was good student, but I laughed at them. Seriously. Why? I hate running. Yes, that was the only reason I didn't join out of high school. So, I went to college. Studied International Politics, thought I would save the world (I was a dreamer). Well, most of the classmates I had were in the military, ROTC, or had just gotten out. So the wheels started turning again. But, be a Marine? No way! Not for me! The whole time I was in college, I was working in an emergency room. I really loved the action, but medicine was not for me. I did intake paperwork and lot of other stuff for the record. I never dealt with patients, just their families. I loved it. Truly, I did. But there was no growth, and what was poor FloridaGirl supposed to do? I graduated college in Dec' 09, with nothing close to a plan, in a job market that SUCKED.

Then, in Jan '10, the earthquake in Haiti happened. My hospital got a lot of the refuges. I was so mad. I should be there, I should be helping. That was what I was meant to do. I wanted a job with disaster relief with the Red Cross, but I needed experience. I was invovled in the ever growing stories around me. And one day I read it - a Coast Guard helo was the first source of international aid to the country. Followed by cutters, reserve units, the works. I was in a recruiting office the next week.

I honestly couldn't tell you why I never thought of the CG before. I had a very good friend of mine that tried to join (he was DQ'ed for kne surgery, so he joined the USAF as a pararescue jumper!) so it's not like I had never heard of it. But I guess like everyone else, the CG never came to mind when I thought military. Either way, here I am, in Alaska. Never thought I'd be here!
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MasterGuns2077

--
    30 Apr 2012 01:41 PM
    My road to the CG was long one with a few sidetracks. I was set up to be a Marine Officer, flight school guaranteed, but halfway through college I decided that wasn't what I wanted to do anymore. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, but that wasn't it. No thought of the CG at that point except for flying, but even then I wanted nothing to do with anything that involved a commitment.
    So I'm getting ready to graduate college, want to break into law enforcement just because it looked like something to do, but lo and behold all the people getting LE jobs are vets with degrees, and that's about it. Federal won't even let you apply. So I turn back to the military, flirt with the Army and Marines again, but when I found out I could do LE with the Coast Guard, actual Federal LE, I was sold.
    In boot camp, a couple of my CC's had a real passion for the life saving aspect of the service, and that bug bit me as well.
    Fast forward to now, I'm on a cutter that plays fish cop to a large portion of the North Atlantic fishing fleet, and my second week underway I get to stand the first lookout SAR watch in the middle of the night. That was one of those moments, I knew that there was no where I'd rather be than on that flying bridge, standing that watch. It was a downer in the end, because no one was found, but that's part of it and I'll do it 10,000 times over if it helps get one person out of the water.
    It's not like that all the time, there's a lot of hard and tedious work too, but any time I hear someone else complaining or start to feel bad for myself, the FNG with no down time, I remember back to when I was parking cars for beans, or sitting in my dorm room studying and wondering how what I was doing was ever going to help anybody, and while I have some great memories from those times in my life, and they sound like heaven whenever I'm scrubbing down the galley, what I'm doing now means more than any of those things, and I'm proud to do it.
    Your passion for what you do will set you free.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    01 May 2012 12:06 AM
    excellent and excellent
    Hunt

--
    02 May 2012 06:48 PM
    Wanting to do something that had more than just to do with me. Be part of something much bigger and help people.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    LauraDK

--
    30 May 2012 01:27 PM
    Honestly the thought really hadn't even crossed my mind until one random day.

I was a door to door art salesman/interior decorator. I decorated everything from tattoo and strip joints to high class hospitals and CEO offices. It was really fun, but it was 100% commision and the economy was (and is) unpredictable. So one day I'm hitting doors and stuble across a CG recruiting station in Raleigh, NC. The recruiter got a set of Italian port pictures, and as I was haning them in his office he had some time to pitch the Coast Guard to me. I had never considered it, and my first question was "would I wind up in the desert getting shot at?" and he said "only if you volunteer to". Then he showed me the paygrades, and that I could be an E-3 because of my college credits. He showed me all the different jobs I could have, the pay chart, bennefits, how the government would pay for future college and so on!
    I filled out an application, went home, watched "Its just 8 weeks" and read any information I could find online for the next 8 hours. To the point where my husband finally asked what i was upto, and I respond "So Babe, what do you think about being a Coastie husband?" And the rest is history.

Good thing I switched careers too. Not two weeks ago, that company I worked for closed our local branch forever. Gotta love that whimsical economy.
    "Zombieland Rule #32- Enjoy the little things."
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    30 May 2012 07:47 PM
    Laura, who was your recruiter in Raleigh?
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    LauraDK

--
    31 May 2012 01:44 PM
    GM1 Sanchez. He seriously deserves a pay raise, or promotion or something.
    "Zombieland Rule #32- Enjoy the little things."
    yelsmekjay@live.com

--
    07 Jun 2012 02:35 PM
    WHEN SOMEONE LOOKS YOU IN THE EYE AND SAYS "THANK YOU FOR SAVING MY LIFE". I WAS A BOATSWAINS MATE/ SAR COXSWAIN AND AFTER 33 YEARS FROM GETTING OUT IT STILL SEEMS LIKE YESTERDAY. I COMMERCIAL FISHED IN THE 80'S AND 90'S IN SO CAL. AND I PULLED ELEVEN PEOPLE OUT OF THE WATER DURING THAT TIME. IT'S A FEELING THAT CAN ONLY BE FELT BY THE LOOK IN THEIR EYES. JAY.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement