Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Adopt a US Soldier
Last Post 12 May 2012 11:59 PM by Active Prior Service. 10 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
meinschloss

--
28 Apr 2012 06:50 PM

ERROR 404: PAGE NOT FOUND

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    28 Apr 2012 07:03 PM
    What as Coasties will you never be asked to do? The CG is now currently in Iraq (surprise, not everyone has pulled out), they are in Afghanistan, Bahrain. The Coast Guard has been in every war the US has ever been involved with. Signalman Douglas Munro didn't earn the MOH by sitting in the US. Nathan Bruchenthal was our only loss suffered but he died in Iraq.

I agree we should support soldiers that are fighting and there are far, far more Army men, Marines, AF, Navy there... but don't discount that we aren't there or will never be asked to lay our Coasties lives on the line. They are asked and they say yes just as fast as any other service. But I do love the adopt a soldier project.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    meinschloss

--
    28 Apr 2012 07:06 PM

Uh oh, there doesn't seem to be anything here!

Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    28 Apr 2012 07:45 PM
    Posted By meinschloss on 28 Apr 2012 07:50 PM
    Hi All,

I stumbled across this website and it really struck me yet again how many men and women are serving in a capacity that us Coast Guardsmen will never be asked to.
    You are the one that clearly states Coast Guardsman will never be asked to serve in such a capacity.  They are asked and they do say yes!  You are right, I don't know what you know.  But if you think the CG isn't involved in combat roles... you knowledge is fractured.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    srf13

--
    28 Apr 2012 07:49 PM
    I don't think OG was being defensive at all. I took it pretty much the same way, and I have fairly decent reading comprehension skills.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    28 Apr 2012 09:27 PM
    Nice edit job. You could have left the link for adopt a soldier. I'll repost it for you since it is a very good cause. http://www.adoptaussoldier.org/
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheLurker22

--
    02 May 2012 01:29 PM
    Posted By Old Guard2 on 28 Apr 2012 08:03 PM
    What as Coasties will you never be asked to do? The CG is now currently in Iraq (surprise, not everyone has pulled out), they are in Afghanistan, Bahrain. The Coast Guard has been in every war the US has ever been involved with. Signalman Douglas Munro didn't earn the MOH by sitting in the US. Nathan Bruchenthal was our only loss suffered but he died in Iraq.

I agree we should support soldiers that are fighting and there are far, far more Army men, Marines, AF, Navy there... but don't discount that we aren't there or will never be asked to lay our Coasties lives on the line. They are asked and they say yes just as fast as any other service. But I do love the adopt a soldier project.

I know I'm going to be splitting hairs here but wasn't Munro deployed to Bahrain when he was killed (and attached to the Gas and Oil Platforms in the Gulf)?  I know we have guys in Iraq still but the majority of Coasties are in Kuwait and Bahrain.  Here's the link where I found the information from:

http://www.fold3.com/page/11373423_...uckenthal/

And here's another one about the "Faces of War"

http://coastguard.dodlive.mil/2011/...uckenthal/

Nope, that was DC3 Nathaniel Bruckenthal. We were talking about SM1 Douglas Munro, the CG's lone Medal of Honor recipient. 
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    03 May 2012 07:43 AM
    Umm, no. Munro died at Guadalcanal in WWII. I don't believe he was anywhere near the middle east. I know there aren't many Coasties in the middle east but I don't like it when people say "we will never be called upon to do what the other services do"... yes we are. I don't like it when people assume the farthest we go is Duth Harbor and Key West. No, world wide. It saddens me even more when we have to educate our own Coasties to that fact. And if there is one Coastie or a fleet of ships, we are there and doing the job. Do not diminish that ones service or the entire service. (That was just a statement of fact, not something directed at you Lurker. Just wanted to make sure that was understood.)
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheLurker22

--
    07 May 2012 04:55 AM
    Posted By Old Guard2 on 03 May 2012 08:43 AM
    Umm, no. Munro died at Guadalcanal in WWII. I don't believe he was anywhere near the middle east. I know there aren't many Coasties in the middle east but I don't like it when people say "we will never be called upon to do what the other services do"... yes we are. I don't like it when people assume the farthest we go is Duth Harbor and Key West. No, world wide. It saddens me even more when we have to educate our own Coasties to that fact. And if there is one Coastie or a fleet of ships, we are there and doing the job. Do not diminish that ones service or the entire service. (That was just a statement of fact, not something directed at you Lurker. Just wanted to make sure that was understood.)

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking....I even posted links to Nate Bruckenthal but was talking about Munro.  Wow I was way off.  No excuses.....I was just plain wrong.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    07 May 2012 05:29 AM
    I figured it was just a typo, thinking one thing, typing another.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Active Prior Service

--
    12 May 2012 11:59 PM
    The adopt a soldier is a good cause, personally I support Operation Shoebox more. Used to get those when I was in the Navy and I was alwyas extremely grateful when I would get one.

Going Navy to the Coast Guard is rough, I have heard it all from "You couldn't hack it in the Navy" to "that was a stupid move", etc... And those are all from people I used to be stationed with.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement