Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
chick flicks.
Last Post 02 May 2012 06:33 PM by Hunt. 25 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Hunt

--
29 Apr 2012 03:29 PM
    Has anyone noticed that with the vast majority of chick flicks out there none, or none that I have seen, feature/include female service members. I'm a female service member and I personally detest these films that are out right now especially ones like dear john and the other schmoopy ones. It seems like when movies come out my husband says to me "well theres (film)...oh I forgot you hate those" 

Does anyone know of any movies other than GI Jane where the women seem empowered and not like bella from twilight? 
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    29 Apr 2012 04:11 PM
    To find a strong female character, you have to get out of the chick flick genre mostly. Although I like period films because women seem to be more fisty.

I still have problems with people here on base thinking I'm a dependent. Even before I got married. They had been logging me as a dependent for months in the gym before someone caught on. No one even asked. Just assumed. Such is the issue with female service members. We tend not to exist to most people.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    29 Apr 2012 04:32 PM
    Well, aren't you a dependent now? Lol
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    29 Apr 2012 06:50 PM
    But I'm still active duty! lol I'm both
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    29 Apr 2012 07:42 PM
    Most Nicholas Sparks' stories are pretty formulaic and manipulative. My personal wrath is reserved for The Notebook. Bleah.

Female military members? Hard to find...in chick flicks? Near impossible...
    Strong female leads?
    The Hunger Games ;Erin Brockovich; Steel Magnolias ; all the Alien movies ; Tomb Raider ; Kill Bill ; Silence of the Lambs ; To Kill a Mockingbird ; Winter's Bone ; Whale Rider ; Out of Africa ; Rabbit Proof Fence .....
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    29 Apr 2012 08:31 PM
    My personal wrath is reserved for The Notebook. Bleah.

Don't get me started. Silence of the Lambs is far and away Jodi Foster's best role.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Hunt

--
    29 Apr 2012 09:13 PM
    Posted By KD on 29 Apr 2012 08:42 PM
    Most Nicholas Sparks' stories are pretty formulaic and manipulative. My personal wrath is reserved for The Notebook. Bleah.

Female military members? Hard to find...in chick flicks? Near impossible...
    Strong female leads?
    The Hunger Games ;Erin Brockovich; Steel Magnolias ; all the Alien movies ; Tomb Raider ; Kill Bill ; Silence of the Lambs ; To Kill a Mockingbird ; Winter's Bone ; Whale Rider ; Out of Africa ; Rabbit Proof Fence .....

In most of these the female lead has a screw or a few loose. I mean, its kind of about time for one of those Nicholas Sparks movies to have a role reversal of sorts. There are 2 AD coasties alone that I know of that leave dad home with the kids, I'm not one yet because I don't have kids but you know what I mean. I was excited to see act of valor but when they went into the family lives of those individuals I was all " Raaaah!!! anger!", and when I watched dear john I said dear God.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    29 Apr 2012 09:14 PM
    You can probably add nearly anything that Helen Mirren, Judi Dench and Vanessa Redgrave have done. Look at the trailer for the new film production of 'Coriolanus'.
    Vanessa Redgrave's role in that (with Ralph Fiennes and Gerard Butler) is THE strong female part...written by Shakespeare, who of course was writing for the definitive strong female : Queen Elizabeth I. ;D
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    29 Apr 2012 09:20 PM
    Wait, a screw loose in Winter's Bone? To Kill a Mockingbird? Rabbit Proof Fence?!

You are still looking for romance, aren't you? Trying to figure the story line for the one where they BOTH get deployed... or, how would you want it to go? He waits at home for her to return....?
    She saves him from.....?
    We've got to get the conflict/suspense in there somewhere. Let's write this.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    30 Apr 2012 09:26 AM
    KD, To Kill a Mockingbird is my all time favorite movie, 2nd only to maybe Jaws. Scout, even at her tender age, is an incredibly empowered woman. Even more so when you consider the time frame for the movie. Winter's Bone just made my chin drop... I think I would almost ahve to watch that one again. I have never heard of Rabbit Proof Fence. I trust your taste... I might have to look for it!

Love story type movies generally portray the woman as a shrinking violet only to be saved by the love of a man. You need to pull away from sappy romance to find tough women. Even the toughest woman likes to have her hand held and be loved but you won't find that in a movie.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    srf13

--
    30 Apr 2012 10:45 AM
    GI Jane? Rofl

My favorite strong female character in a movie was Matrix. Tough.. loved Neo, and covered in leather. I'm looking at it from a male perspective though, and probably failing at this thread. Lol
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    30 Apr 2012 11:24 AM
    Yes, Trinity's a tough girl, srf13, and not going there re the leather, ew.

I think part of the problem is this: no one writes romances FOR men. Generally they are written for women. And in escapist mode, I don't *want* to have to save my guy! He needs me. I know that. Even though I have never been the one packing a gun, or the major breadwinner, I know beyond doubt that I am the one in his life who packs his parachute, every day. And he knows it, too.

That said, I do find it flattering to know that I know that he would kill for me, die for me, take a city apart to find me if I were lost. I don't know why. But it's true. And I don't see why a female lead needs to be passive and whiny for that to be true. I don't think those things are mutually exclusive.
    Besides, film is a visual medium. Guy carries girl away from danger, a la The Bodyguard? Very photogenic. To get DH out of a burning building I'd have to drag him by the hem of his jeans---he's bigger than I am. Effective, but ugly.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    30 Apr 2012 01:43 PM
    What about Milla Jovovich.. Resident Evil (series), The Messenger, The Fifth Element.. all strong female roles.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    30 Apr 2012 04:39 PM
    Sarah Connor!
    Hunt

--
    30 Apr 2012 09:18 PM
    I like the sarah connor reference. All the other movies with female leads seem like they are usually SCI-Fi films.

I just think it would be funny if they made one of those Schmoopy instead of guy exchanging love letters from overseas girl does movies. I also detest that successful women in films are portrayed as heartless and cold, especially in the military. Maybe society isnt ready for me to stop making them sandwiches lol.

Everything that comes out makes me wanna yack, and the new Sparks movie sparked this rant.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    30 Apr 2012 09:24 PM
    I like the sarah connor reference. All the other movies with female leads seem like they are usually SCI-Fi films.

Sarah Conner was the female lead in Terminator and Terminator 2.. Those weren't exactly romance movies, unless you have a warped sense of romance.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    30 Apr 2012 09:47 PM
    Well, it all started with the grand love of Sarah and Reese. And they hadn't known each other any longer than the couple in Titanic.
    For that matter, Sarah actually ends up dragging Reese's helpless carcass out of the line of fire, so to speak, at the end, and she is the one who makes the final coup on the Terminator. Tough girl extraordinaire!
    Then she caps it all off by giving birth.
    Let's see any Nicholas Sparks hero top that one.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    30 Apr 2012 10:06 PM
    I suppose that's romantic if you remove the naked Ahnold putting his fist through a young Bill Paxton, shooting the two Sarah Connors who weren't going to give birth to anyone special, and killing "17 police officers. Men with families." Yeah I can see the romance there.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    30 Apr 2012 10:17 PM
    Details, Gears.
    Sheesh; I'm trying.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    30 Apr 2012 10:33 PM
    I know you are.. I'm just giving you guff. What about Angelina Jolie? She plays lots of strong female leads too.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    30 Apr 2012 10:41 PM
    I just don't like her.
    :/
    Okay, okay , maybe for A Mighty Heart.
    But that's really for Mariane Pearl.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    01 May 2012 02:47 AM
    Carrie Fisher in Star Wars was a strong female leader...
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    01 May 2012 05:28 AM
    +1 Capt..

Also, Ginger Rogers. She did everything Fred Astaire did only backward and in heels.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    newms

--
    01 May 2012 04:26 PM
    Alright.

I know I'm way out of my element here, but I have STREET CRED!  I have four sisters!  I have a little input?

I totally agree with the points made that Film/Television production is completely one-sided.  This is in large part due to the one-sided nature of these industries!  A lack of Female Directors/Producers/ hell, even camera-women are hard to come by.  Is it because women are just not interested in these professions?  Hell-to-the-No.  It's a 'Good Ole' Boys' system at best.  Women are meant for in front of the camera; covered in make-up instead of clothes, handed scripts with lines as rudimentary and formulaic as knock-knock jokes - women are pretty, no, they're beautiful!  Why waste that by letting them get their painfully beautiful, moisturized hands all over the camera/sound/lighting equipment??

There is a painful reality here somewhere, I promise.

A few references:

A blog all about Strong Female Leads:
    http://strongfemalelead.blogspot.com/

A list of Strong Female Directors:
    http://www.cockeyed.com/personal/di...ectors.php

And finally, a big W,T,F article by The Guardian (not THAT guardian, duh):
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010...ilm-makers

newms! PATFORSWA
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    01 May 2012 04:44 PM
    Newms, you are a man (I assume since you referenced your sisters) after my Women's Studies lovin' heart

There's always the Bechdel test. You can google it for a lot of websites that have interesting articles/lists, but here's one to start with http://bechdeltest.com/ Still no female service members though.  However, passing the test doesn't necesarily mean the female characters in question are strong and empowered.
    Hunt

--
    02 May 2012 06:33 PM
    I found this http://www.overthinkingit.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Overthinking-It-Female-Character-Flowchart.png and it gave me a really good laugh.

I'm just sayin there was a time that women were all over coast guard, army, air force, and navy commercials but no real protagonist main characters in the movies.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement