Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Attention all shippers!
Last Post 17 May 2012 09:21 PM by BVintage. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
coastie43

--
30 Apr 2012 10:53 PM
    I just wanted to touch base with all future and or hopeful shippers to Cape May. I've been posting on the fourm for aver a year now and my journey with the Coast Guard took me into a very different place than I ever thought it would. I want to take my experiences and try to help the next person out as much as I can. Please read this and learn from my mistake..

I processed with the Coast Guard in March of 2011. It took me 8 months and I was more than excited about the news of my official ship date. It was seriously a dream come true. I graduated high school in 2010 and just prayed for some direction on what to do with my life and as all of you know, the Coast Guard is really an awesome organization and Branch of the military. The very best of the best and I commend everyone going through the process. I  dont think I will ever be as proud of myself as I was stepping off that bus and into the grounds of Cape May. However, when I finally got to Cape May I instantly felt as though I couldnt do it. Looking ahead to the coming 8 weeks felt impossible .Especially thinking about everything I had left behind at home. Being down there and dealing with all of the stressful situations, yelling and public humiliation really broke me down. I lost my focus and as soon as I did I lost everything. I ended up getting discharged for depression and failure to adjust to the military life style. I can honestly say that there hasnt been a day that has gone by that I havent beaten myself up over it. I wanted to be in the Coast Guard so bad and I blew my chance. 

I know alot of you wont have nearly as hard of a time as I did, but if anyone gets down there and starts to feel the same ways I did just remember my story and keep your faith. Keep going and do what you set out to do. This is such a great opportunity for all of you and Im excited for you! I dont really know how to deal with this but I figured that I'd try to help the next recruit out as much as I can though. Dont make a decision based off emotion and dont let anyone tare you down or make you lose focus. Even when you feel like you cant, just know that YOU CAN DO THIS. I really wish I did..
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    eaw913

--
    30 Apr 2012 11:24 PM
    I am sorry that happened to you. It is definitely tough and I know it will not be an easy 8 weeks. I am leaving in about 5 weeks and I am very anxious but also excited. I will keep my head up and your story will certainly help.

If you don't mind me asking, what career did you go into afterwards?
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    30 Apr 2012 11:49 PM
    That is cool that you shared that. Life as a nonrate really is tough, and getting through it is a test. Like coastie said, dont get discouraged. We seriously want to see everyone succeed.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    OStneuhard

--
    01 May 2012 11:07 AM
    Hey brother, it took alot to post this. But listen you have a lot to be proud of, you took a step that not alot of people would dare taking. The Military only consist of 3% of the population. You did not fail at this goal, you just opened other opportunities for yourself in which will be a wonderful life, you will find what you love doing and will do it to the best of your ability just as if you were in the coast guard. I can tell you right now each person who posts on this forum doesn't look down on you or anything we are proud you even took the step to join. Thank you!

I ship in one week and will use you story.
    Would you be willing to write me?
    coastie43

--
    01 May 2012 04:58 PM
    eaw913, Im excited for you to be shipping in just 5 weeks. I remember being in your shoes and how thrilled I was about it. As far as my current career choice goes Im finished up school in 3 months. After I got home I fell into a dark place but was able to bring myself out of it. I was frustrated that I couldnt do it and felt that I let a lot of people down, especially myself. But I enrolled in a 9 month Medical Billing/Coding class. Its not the most glamours job or school but i'll be a solid first step forward. I also just handed in my application for the Coast Guard Auxiliary. Im not too educated about how it works yet but my flotilla has its monthly meeting this Thursday and Im really looking forward to it!

OStneuhard, I really appreciate your support. It took me about a year to the day of my discharge to get myself together and forgive myself for not being able to achieve what I wanted to. And I'd be down to write you at basic. My goal is just to support anyone I can that faces similar situations and feelings that I did. PM me your info if you want. Im pumped that you inly have a week left. How long have you been in the recruiting process?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    01 May 2012 05:11 PM
    Posted By OStneuhard on 01 May 2012 12:07 PM
    The Military only consist of 3% of the population.

Actually, it's not even that high of a percent. The American population is reported to be just over 307,000,000. Active duty and Reserves combined make up around 2,700,000, which only equates to about 8/10 of a percent, almost 9/10 of a percent.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    01 May 2012 05:59 PM
    I will give you credit for posting up and trying to help people out. The coast guard and any other branch isn't for everyone. It only takes a few short falls to loose it and the reason you are pushed is while running a case or something the stress can be even higher then anything at bootcamp
    dthielmann

--
    03 May 2012 09:06 AM
    It takes a real man/woman to do what you just did. I wish you the best of luck!! and also keep what you said in mind when i'm in BC, thanks for the post!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ojrivera

--
    11 May 2012 04:44 PM
    Coastie you definitely took a huge step by posting this. Sorry to hear what happened, but for you to use your own life as an example for for future recruits, your story will most certainly impact recruits for the years to come.
    BVintage

--
    17 May 2012 09:21 PM
    Thanks for sharing your story! I'm in the process of completing all the steps to get into bootcamp for the Coast Guard. Currently I'm waiting on confirmation for the MEPS date. Anyways, besides being nervous about the whole thing, stress is really one of those things that get me sometimes!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement