Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
age limit for coast guard reserve no prior
Last Post 13 Mar 2013 08:38 PM by JBraz. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
rational1

--
02 May 2012 08:21 PM

I want to serve in the coast guard reserve and I am 35 will be 36 in December. Am I too old. I have always wanted to join the coast guard. I have no prior experience except being a member of the coast guard auxillary and i dont work in a related field.

Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    02 May 2012 08:51 PM
    You can still join. The age limit for the reserves is 39. Good luck.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    jayBird

--
    14 May 2012 02:36 PM
    rational1, cooch, Thanks for the question and response! I am a similar situation at 35 and recently read that for the Direct Petty Officer Commissioning that waivers up to age 39 would be provided. Who could I get in touch with to discuss reserve officer opportunities for an individual such as myself who is currently full-time in a federal civilian career?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    14 May 2012 07:55 PM
    reserve officer opportunities

Reserve Officer opportunities are only open to those with prior military service.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    jayBird

--
    15 May 2012 09:21 AM
    So even if you have a Masters degree already you have to start out on the bottom? 

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    15 May 2012 09:45 AM
    Posted By jayBird on 15 May 2012 10:21 AM
    So even if you have a Masters degree already you have to start out on the bottom? 

Well, not the bottom. You will come in as an E3 and if you go through DEPOT possibly an E4

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    15 May 2012 10:14 AM
    jayBird... obviously you want your degree to matter and it does.  However, do you think your Masters Degree trumps someones experience in the military?  That counts for a lot more.  They aren't going to throw you in at a much higher rank so that you can command others and you have no idea what is going on.  We all have to start somewhere.  In the military, that is generally near or at the bottom.

Even in the officer's ranks, you start as an Ensign.  That is the bottom of officer's ranks as well.
    USCGC Midgett
    jayBird

--
    15 May 2012 11:26 AM
    Old Guard2, I appreciate your remarks. Perhaps the "bottom" doesn't quite express my contention which is that I would like to secure a uniformed services opportunity which will acknowledge the 15+ years of leadership and specialization that both my work experiences and education have afforded me. As a parent, a business student and a mid-level career employee, my primary concern is mitigating any initial financial shortfall which may cause undue hardship on my family. I have carefully evaluated the long-term outcomes to be highly favorable as a current federal permanent employee joining I would receive:veterans preference, post 9-11 gi bill, VA home loans, discounted base benefits and services. Overall it would be rather imperceptive to refute. It just so happens that the constructivist origins of the professions within the uniformed services associate rank with higher pay and higher authorities and hence the lens with which I view the "bottom" evokes financial insecurity regardless of its ephemerality.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    15 May 2012 11:43 AM
    jayBird - I assume you are concerned about financial shortfall if/when you were to be put on active duty. Did I read that you are a federal employee? Don't they have a program such that when you are on active duty as a reservist they will pay the difference between your military and civilian salary? I work for a local gov't and we have a similar leave program.
    jayBird

--
    15 May 2012 01:34 PM
    Posted By ebee on 15 May 2012 12:43 PM
    jayBird - I assume you are concerned about financial shortfall if/when you were to be put on active duty. Did I read that you are a federal employee? Don't they have a program such that when you are on active duty as a reservist they will pay the difference between your military and civilian salary? I work for a local gov't and we have a similar leave program.

ebee - Thanks for your remarks. Yes I am a Federal Permanent employee, but due to other criteria including "no prior service", I would need to first enlist and then attend bct + one of the "A" schools. The total time commitment would definitely deplete my leave time. Once my leave is exhausted the Civilian reserve differential coupled with my USCG pay will hardly make up the difference. I did want to include a link to some OPM regulatory guidance for anyone else who may be reading and has yet to reach the point of bewilderment. 
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    15 May 2012 01:46 PM
    In the end you have to do what's best for you and your family.

I know reservists who look forward to getting activated/deployed bc the military pays more than their civilian job. And I'm sure there are plenty who make less when they are activated (if I get in, I would be one of those so I somewhat understand your conflict). In the end, I don't think money shouldn't be a deciding factor. Nobody joins the military to get rich. But I understand that money is a factor, especially if you have a family and bills that you can't put aside.

Hopefully anyone else with advice or experience will chime in.
    pgtyner

--
    13 Mar 2013 07:00 PM
    I have a question. I am 47 years old, have 4 years pior active US Naval service and 5 years reserve service. And I am interested in continuing service. Am I too old to be able to join, or with my past service can I rejoin?
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    JBraz

--
    13 Mar 2013 08:38 PM
    Yes, unfortunately you are past the age limit.
    ~My destiny is to help others fulfill their destiny~
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement