Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
A couple cutter questions!
Last Post 25 Oct 2013 07:16 AM by Gears. 10 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Strife

--
05 May 2012 07:25 PM
    hello everybody! I had a couple questions about cutter life!
    I've read if youre on a cutter then you're actually on on it about 6 months of the year no matter what size boat.
    smaller cutters just have smaller times out and smaller times in. and larger cutters have bigger times out and bigger times at port.
    I like the idea of life on a cutter and I'm trying to decide what i want after boot camp!

1.  -Where do you sleep when you're pulled into port?
         -Do you receive BAH?
         -Do you have an apartment at home port or some sort of barracks you keep all of your things?

2. Do you need a car? I really do not want to purchase a car and I'd rather save money!

3. Are there more ratings on a cutter than a small boat station to learn from?

4. Internet access/free time?

... I think that's all my questions  for now!

Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    05 May 2012 07:45 PM
    You are right. Cutters are out 6 months of the year - it's the length and number of times out that vary. However...

1 - Depends. Each cutter is different, and those are 3 real possilities. If you live on the boat, you will make to decide what is important enough to take with you because you won't have a lot of room at all (a locker!). Many times, if you able to get BAH, you have to be on the cutter long enough to break in and earn that right. And yes, sometimes there are barracks and leased housing.

2 - Depends on the place and what you are willing to give up. If you were in Kodiak, you'd probably want a car if you wanted to get off base. If you were in Boston? They have public transportation. Places with barracks often have a liberty or "libo" van that takes you to various places in town, but the stops and times can be very limited.

3 - Most likely, but again, depends on the unit. At either one, you can always request to go TDY (temp duty) somewhere with a rate you want to see.

4 - Depends on the unit.

Well, that was a lot of help wasn't it? Haha
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    05 May 2012 07:55 PM
    Most questions can be answered with... That is a definite possibility of a maybe. LOL
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    janelleyfish

--
    05 May 2012 10:36 PM
    The answers to all of your questions depend on the unit.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheBigC1234

--
    31 May 2012 02:49 PM
    I'll try to help a little more, I'm on a smaller cutter so this goes for smaller cutters (I'm on a construction tender 75' cutter, home-ported with a 175' buoy tender and an 87' patrol boat and a station)
    1-unqualified non-rates sleep and live aboard until qualified, once qualified we have off base housing (they are apartments that the CG leases and gives to non-rates.) E-4 and above (or married non rates) get BAH whether qualified or not.
    2-Yes, in my case without a car you'd have trouble getting to the cutter from your housing. this may be different since some units are in cities so walking is more prevalent and barracks can be on base.
    3-That depends on my boat we have FS DC BM MK, small boat station has BM MK GM IT EM FS OS, Buoy tender has BM MK EM DC OS FS, Patrol boat has BM FS MK and other support ratings, again this varies greatly on size of cutter and size of station.
    4-We have a mobile hot spot type thing, internet is very slow and sketchy when underway. In port you have CG internet (limited use) Free time underway when work day is over for us at sunset we are free to do whatever on-board or if at port call. In-port we have a regular work week unless we have a big project going on we have M-TH 0645-1500 other cutters with us have trop hours M-F 0645-1300.

Any other questions you can PM me.

It's Hammer Time!!
    Strife

--
    04 Jun 2012 02:41 PM
    Okay thanks!

Well I've made up my mind and want to be stationed on a cutter, it sounds like I'd get a lot more experience than a small boat station. So basically everything depends... I want to save money and live without a car but we shall see just what happens. Can I ask for a cutter based out of a big city in boot? Cant wait!
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    04 Jun 2012 02:44 PM
    You can request it... if you get it is another story. You can request the sun but if there is nothing available or the detailer doesn't want to put you there you can end up on the dark side of the moon. It is hard to say "I've made up my mind, I know what I want" because the detailer hasn't made up his mind. So you can ask but you will get what you get.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheBigC1234

--
    07 Jun 2012 04:21 PM
    When i was in boot,t hey said anyone that wants a big boat and requests it will pretty much end up with it. That was a year ago, it depends on needs. Sometimes they have specific billets that need filling and will tell you whent he time comes to choose.
    It's Hammer Time!!
    Guitar

--
    25 Oct 2013 01:43 AM
    Posted By TheBigC1234 on 31 May 2012 03:49 PM

1-unqualified non-rates sleep and live aboard until qualified, once qualified we have off base housing (they are apartments that the CG leases and gives to non-rates.) E-4 and above (or married non rates) get BAH whether qualified or not.

If I understand you correctly...

If you were a part of a patrol boat team, three days on/three days off(?), you would remain at or in the patrol boat while you're ported?

If not, would you be required to use the CG leased apartment(s) or possibly find somewhere else to rest? Would you receive BAH a USCG leased apartment?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    25 Oct 2013 06:48 AM
    Small boats are a different story... I'll let someone with more knowledge answer that part.

As far as BAH in a gov't leased apartment... No. The government is already paying the rent. BAH is for rent. You aren't paying it, therefore have no reason to get it in your pay. I'm not sure about a partial BAH payment because you might still have utilities and such. But even that might be covered by the government. It is very similar to living in base housing without the base part.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    25 Oct 2013 07:16 AM
    patrol boat team, three days on/three days off(?)

Patrol Boats and Small Boat Stations are totally different animals. If you're at a Station you'll work 2 days on 2 days off. When you're on you'll stay at the station for the duration food, housing, etc are provided. When you're off you can go where you want within a reasonable distance. You'll most likely get BAH at a station because most don't have a large Sector nearby.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement