Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
American Icons
Last Post 20 May 2012 07:36 AM by captkyguy. 21 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Steviekiwi

--
15 May 2012 04:15 AM
    Hi everybody,

I am form Germany and have to hold a presentation about American icons. Since it's not easy to know what Amecians think what typicall icons of their country are I wanted to ask you. What are the most important icons of America for you and why are they important? And how do you define the term icon?

Thanks a lot for each comment.

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    16 May 2012 06:02 AM
    Are you focusing on people, places, pop culture, American History?
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    16 May 2012 09:31 AM
    Narrow it down, a little, Steviekiwi!
    Steviekiwi

--
    16 May 2012 03:53 PM
    I don't want to narrow it down. my presentation is about icons in general. that could be anything, people as well as monuments or cultural things. anything that comes to your mind. for example, would you say that george washington is an american icon? if yes why?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    17 May 2012 06:51 AM
    Wow, gigantic topic...Statue of Liberty? John Wayne? The flag? Baseball?

How long IS your presentation going to be?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    17 May 2012 07:02 AM
    Mount Rushmore. Ronald Reagan. Yankee Stadium. Nascar. The topic is far too wide and varied. Hollywood. Broadway and the great white way. The Plains of South Dakota. The Rockie mountains.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    17 May 2012 08:29 AM
    Don't forget the Alamo...Travis, Bowie, Crockett and Darst. Or we can head north to give a shout out to Lewis and Clark. Enjoy!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    17 May 2012 11:37 AM
    The people on our currency. I mean, not only are they pretty important dead people, but terms like "Benjamin" (Since Mr. Franklin is on our $100 bill) have become slang for well...the $100 bill!
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    17 May 2012 12:55 PM
    Washington, Lincoln, Roosevelt

Uncle Sam, Grant, Lee, Patton, Schwarzkopf, Powell

Buffalo Bill, Wyatt Earp

Einstein

Armstrong, Glenn, Lovell, Swigert, Haise

Lt. Hawkins, Lt. Murphy, SG York, Col Howard, Sgt. Baker, Cpl. Stein, MSG Benavidez, Capt Brown, SG Funk, LCmdr Evans, SM1 Munro
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    17 May 2012 01:07 PM
    Capt, you left off Nathan Brukenthal if we are looking for Coastie icons. I'm not sure how much of an "icon" he would be considered. But since he is the only Coast Guard caualty in the Middle East... that elevates him a bit, I believe.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    NargilFenris

--
    17 May 2012 01:24 PM
    Lets hope he doesn't need any pop icons as those change every other year.
    If you were hoping for the A Team you will be sorry to know you got the F Troop.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    17 May 2012 03:48 PM
    Elvis Presley, the Liberty Bell! Empire State Building....I'm going to start singing, "We Didn't Start the Fire" any minute now....
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    17 May 2012 05:41 PM
    KD LOL
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    17 May 2012 05:57 PM
    Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, The Manhattan Project, the Grand Canyon, Mt. Rushmore, USS Arizona, USS Missouri, Ft. Sumter, Washington DC, The Rocky Mountains, The Appalachian Trail, The Florida Everglades, New Orleans, the Mississippi River, The Erie Canal, The St. Lawrence Seaway, The Transcontinental Railroad...
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    17 May 2012 06:36 PM
    ....McDonald's?

Sorry, I had to go there.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    17 May 2012 07:53 PM
    Hey I would say Mickey Dee's is an American Icon.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    17 May 2012 09:58 PM
    I'll go ahead and ask.

Why are you coming to a Coast Guard recruiting site for this information? If you're not here to ask specific questions about joining the US Coast Guard, it doesn't make much sense to be on here.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    18 May 2012 05:46 AM
    Not every question or topic discussed is ONLY about the CG and recruiting. What better place to ask then people that have some sort of patriotic sense then ask military personnel. Even if it is just a lurker, he isn't stirring a pot. Just asking a question that is leading to discussion and opinion that isn't leading to any sort of crazy controversy. I think it is just fine.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    18 May 2012 03:39 PM
    Just seems odd to me to only be here for American icon information, without interest in CG specific information. I wasn't complaining, just asking.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    18 May 2012 04:02 PM
    Posted By Old Guard2 on 17 May 2012 02:07 PM
    Capt, you left off Nathan Brukenthal if we are looking for Coastie icons. I'm not sure how much of an "icon" he would be considered. But since he is the only Coast Guard caualty in the Middle East... that elevates him a bit, I believe.

Old Guard, I was going with Medal of Honor Recipients, I listed the top ten in many's opinion, plus the one Coast Guard Medal of Honor Recipient that I knew of...they all are more than worthy of being an American Icon.
    Steviekiwi

--
    20 May 2012 02:05 AM
    I was asking this question in several places and it's very interesting to see how different the answers are. I got a lot of good opinions and thank you a lot for that! Hopefully you also had some fun thunking about this topic. I admit that it's hard to think about icons that are typical American, expecially because I couldn't narrow it down. That's the reason why I chose this way. Thanks a lot!!!
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    20 May 2012 07:36 AM
    Where you able to narrow down your choice? What were some of the different response you got...share please.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement