Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Currently in the army, thinking about switching over
Last Post 08 Jul 2012 06:21 PM by Cooch. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
avionics_mechanic

--
25 May 2012 10:03 PM
    I posted this in the "A" schools and ratings section not seeing this section at the time. I am an avionics mechanic (hence the name) in active duty army. I am in a special unit. I have been in for 6 years now and will have 8 years total at the end of this contract. How hard is it to get the AET job with already being an avionics mechanic? Would I have to go through the training over again or just on the job training? My job training was 27 weeks long, I cant see there really being any differences between the 2. Also does previous work experience help at all (the experience I have with my unit and the type of aircraft I work on)? I work on systems that no one else in the military has and my work is more in depth in my particular unit. I have a security clearance and will still have it after I get out for a couple more years. I am just curious, I have been thinking about switching over after my current contract is up. Any info would really be helpful. Thanks
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    25 May 2012 10:40 PM
    AET is not on the open rate list, you are most likely looking at going back to school. Additionally, you are looking at E3 and boot camp again. I know it is not what you want to hear but that is the current state of the Coast Guard. I dropped from 6 to 3 and went to boot camp as well.

Additionally,

2. E-3 and Below. Applicants enlisting or re-enlisting in the Coast Guard in pay grade E-3 or below, may not have more than six years of prior active service.

You are in a catch 22, As an E4 you would be under max allowable service years, as an E3 you are over.
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    avionics_mechanic

--
    27 May 2012 07:54 PM
    Are we talking 8 weeks of boot camp or the 20 days? I really dont want to have to go back to school for the exact job I already do. Coming in as an e3 sucks but its not the end of the world. What is rank progression like?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    27 May 2012 08:21 PM
    With 8 years of service, and your job not being on our open rate list, you won't be able to enlist in the CG. If its not too late to keep your current job, I would definitely stay.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    avionics_mechanic

--
    27 May 2012 08:36 PM
    What is open rate, is that the transferable jobs? E4 and above have up to 10 years active duty service right? I ready for a change. I going to get out of the army either way, coast guard is the only other branch I would go into. So as long as Im able to get in, I can get the avionics job but would have to go through the school for it right? I might look into something different but I would rather stick with what I know.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    27 May 2012 08:38 PM
    It is based on your rank upon CG entry. Because your current job is not on the open rate list, you will not come in as an E4. As an E3 you have to much prior service time. The Coast Guard is not in your future. With the economy the way it is, you may want to stay in a little longer.

I wish you the best in your future endeavors.
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    avionics_mechanic

--
    27 May 2012 09:43 PM
    Well thank you for all the help and advice. Too bad it wouldn't work out. Thank you guys for what you do for our country and God bless.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jni3

--
    08 Jul 2012 04:37 PM
    humor yourself and talk face to face with a real life recruiter. maybe other options are available to you.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    08 Jul 2012 05:38 PM
    JNI, once again, you are offering advice to a question that was answered... by 2 extremely competent and experienced recruiters. One is a Chief, the other was 27 years active duty and just recently retired after at least 4, it might have been 6 years in recruiting. They gave Avionics a very straight forward honest answer. You are just muddying water that was made extremely clear by our resident recruiters.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    08 Jul 2012 06:21 PM
    The question was answered by real life recruiters. Not sure what a face to face would accomplish, other than wasting some gasoline.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement