Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Interested in Joining
Last Post 11 Dec 2017 07:50 AM by Old Guard2. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
OStneuhard

--
25 May 2012 10:41 PM
    I orginally joined the CG but after 3 weeks of basic I was told I had too many cavities..so I have about 2 years of looking to get back...so in the meantime I'm very interested in the CG Aux...my nearest coast guard base is 3 hours away but there is some Flotillas...how do I join? 

and some other questions

Do we get to wear a uniform?
    Do we get an ID card?

CRACoastie

--
    27 May 2012 01:19 PM
    Hello,

First use the flotilla finder to locate the flotilla nearest you: http://www.cgaux.org/units.php Once you are in contact with their recruiting personnel, they will take you through the process of joining (DHS background check, application, boating safety course, etc). We wear the same exact uniforms as all active duty personnel, with the exception of our name tags/sew ons and covers say USCG Auxiliary on them. Our ID cards are issued through the Coast Guard, but are not the same as the active duty CG CAC (Common Access Cards).
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    VicNaz1

--
    30 May 2012 09:59 AM
    First up, if you truly wish to 'get back' into active duty, it certainly can't hurt for you to be in the Aux. in the mean time. You'll have plenty of opportunity to wear your ODU's and you do get an ID card but as CRA Coastie said, it's not the same as an active duty card. It's good for ID to get on base and to shop at select exchange stores (Coast Guard exchange and, under certain circumstances, other MIL branches).

In the Aux. you will have to show some initiative and since you don't get paid, you'll have to hold down a 'day' job while doing whatever you do in the Aux. There are plenty of opportunities to learn skills in the Aux. that will serve you well in Active Duty but only if you really apply yourself. Remember, in the Aux. no one will be hollering at you and making you get on the ground to do push ups or flutter kicks. YOU will have to be your own drill instructor on these things and you'll have to establish your own high standards and live up to them.

If you join the Aux. and get through a couple of things like Aux. Crew or Aux. Airborne Observer you might want to sign up for the AuxNav course for navigation or the Aux SC&E (Aux. Search and Rescue Planning) course. These use almost identical material and standards as the Active Duty and are things you WILL want to know if and when you get back into the Active Duty.

If you knock out some of those things AND you have some time on your hands, you might want to look into getting attached to an active duty unit. Even a multi-hundred mile drive might be worth it to train with a small boat station or other unit if they are willing to train you in something that will add to your credibility later. NOTHING is set in stone and no one can make you any promises about Aux. duty helping you out, only that it might help.

Personally, I know I've learned some life-changing things in the Aux. and the training with the active duty folks at some of the small boat stations has been outstanding. If I were young enough I might have tried to go active duty but when I joined the Aux. at age 41 I was considered to elderly to even be considered (or so I was told in an online chat room by a recruiter). Thus I do what I can with the cards I have in front of me. You can do likewise and I think you have the chance to deal yourself a couple of better cards if you work hard.
    JCavanaugh915

--
    28 Nov 2017 09:41 AM
    Just curious. I know this was a long time ago... BUT
    My husband was just discharged for having too many cavities.
    Did you get back in? If so how long did it take?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    28 Nov 2017 10:15 AM
    He hasn't been on the forum since 2012. I doubt he will check in anytime soon.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    JCavanaugh915

--
    28 Nov 2017 10:52 AM
    I figured it was worth a shot. I feel like i'm going cross eyed scanning forums.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    VicNaz1

--
    09 Dec 2017 05:41 AM
    Is dental hygiene really such an issue?!? I know it's important in the general sense but I had no idea this was a significant issue. I figured OStneuhard was saying 'cavities' but leaving out an additional issue like PT or math or something.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    11 Dec 2017 07:50 AM
    Vic, yes dental hygiene is that important. One of the big reasons it is so important, you are up on the Chukchi Sea and you have an impacted or infected tooth. Getting you to a dentist is going to be a challenge. Oral hygiene is super important. You do not want a toothache when nothing can be done about it.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement