Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
I have few questions about the Reserves.
Last Post 30 May 2012 02:48 PM by Cooch. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
Ljcalimano

--
30 May 2012 11:08 AM
    What is a 59 ASVAB score going to get it me? I here a 75 is competitive. Should I retake the ASVAB?

If I do enlist on the reserves, would I go through basic and return and start drilling? or is "A" school immediately after basic training?

I will have bachelors degree by december, what rank would I enlist as? E3? When would one be promoted to E4?

There is a possibility I would move from my current state to Florida in a few years. Is it possible to drill in Florida? Or do I have to always drill in my current state? 

What is the waiting time to enlist? How soon should I start the process if I would like to go through basic right after december?

Thanks in advance. 
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    cb1918

--
    30 May 2012 01:15 PM
    Hello and welcome!

IMHO, I would retake the ASVAB. I don't know what a 59 can get you, if it can get you anything. However, knowing that 75 or higher is what is being considered, then definitely retake the test. 
    The rate will determine how fast you get to A school after boot camp. They try to get reservists into their A school within one year. I can't remember if that's one year from sign date, or one year from graduating boot camp. Generally though, most of the reservists I know, including myself, had to go back to our units and drill for a few months before going to A school. 
    Bachelors degree will get you E-3. Once you're done with A school and have enough time in grade, you get to E-4.
    Florida has a lot of units, so drilling in FL is highly probable. I have a friend who lives in Oregon but is moving to the east coast in July. She's a YN. There is a transfer process, I just don't know how that works. 
    Finally, I would start the enlistment process right away. Contact a recruiter and let them know you're interested. 
    Good luck!
    "It's classified"
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Ljcalimano

--
    30 May 2012 01:23 PM
    Thanks!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    30 May 2012 01:47 PM
    For the ASVAB, it's not just your percentile that matters; you want to make sure that your line scores qualify you for the job(s) you're interested in.

The required scores for each rating are listed on the USCG website: http://www.uscg.mil/hq/capemay/educ...p#aschools 

If you are about to finish your BA you should have no problem improving your ASVAB score with some studying.

As for transferring to a new unit, it can be done so long as there's an open billet in your new area.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    30 May 2012 02:48 PM
    The Reserves is much different than active duty. You don't need to worry about your score, as long as you qualify for the open job that you want. If you did, don't worry about retaking the test.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement