Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
firefighter DEPOT?
Last Post 07 Jun 2012 07:07 PM by meeks1882. 14 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
jsu7833m

--
05 Jun 2012 09:18 AM

I am trying to get some information on joining the USCG Reserves. I am 24 years old and have worked for the past 5 years as a firefighter/EMT.  I spent a year in Iraq as a firefighter with the DoD from June 2010-June 2011 at FOB Delta and Camp Liberty. I have been working on my B.S. for the past few years in Emergency Management I am currently a junior.  Are there any rates that I can qualify for from my work experience as a firefighter? Also would the DEPOT program be an option? I know police and ME go hand in hand but not so sure about any rates dealing with firefighting specifically.

Thanks

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    cgilliam

--
    05 Jun 2012 12:19 PM
    I'm still in the process of enlisting but what I see members saying often is that "every member of the Coast Guard is a firefighter." Here is a list of the ratings I pulled from Google http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rd_ratings Also, I'm pretty sure you have to go to school for whichever rate you choose, even if you believe you are already qualified because of work experience. I can promise that all of that is 100% true, but that's what I've gathered from my recruiter and this site.

You can always email or call the recruiter in your area, they would be the best help!
    But I've got promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Robert Frost
    jsu7833m

--
    05 Jun 2012 12:38 PM
    Thank you. Can an individual qualify to attend DEPOT based on work experience and go in as an open rate? Or must they go in for that rate (IE police officer goes into ME) ? I will contact my nearest recruiter also.
    Thanks
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    gdeyarmond

--
    05 Jun 2012 12:42 PM
    The closest thing to a firefighter in the USCG is a Damage Controlman. If you do go to Cape May you will notice a fire house as you do laps around the parade field. The guys and girls who man that station are all DCs
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    cgilliam

--
    05 Jun 2012 01:27 PM
    Here is a thread that might help you out some: http://www.uscg.org/Forum/aft/13164.aspx

I believe you have to have a degree, prior service, or work in law enforcement. I really don't know how the rate system works with DEPOT though. How old are you? There is an age limit for people joining that program.

jsu7833m

--
    05 Jun 2012 01:35 PM
    cgilliam,

Thanks for the thread. I am 24 years old.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    cgilliam

--
    05 Jun 2012 02:01 PM
    Sorry, I just re-read and saw that. I think you have to be at least 28 for the DEPOT program.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Browns24

--
    06 Jun 2012 04:58 AM
    Damage Controlmen is the rate closest to your fire fighting background. DC's do inspections on Fire Extingusihers, Fire Suits, NFTI's (Naval Fierfighting Thermal Imager), fire hoses, nozzles. They handle repair lockers on board cutters, which containg FFE, flooding equipment, shoring equipment. They maintain the SCBA bottles and equipment. They also handle welding and plumbing issues. It's a rate with a wide variety.
    jsu7833m

--
    06 Jun 2012 09:05 AM
    Thank you all for the help. I will contact a recruiter today to get some more information. Has anyone gone to DEPOT with a DC rate?

Thanks
    meeks1882

--
    06 Jun 2012 06:28 PM
    Im also a career FF and going into DEPOT this September, but I am going to BM A School. Decided not to do the DC thing though.
    jsu7833m

--
    07 Jun 2012 06:57 AM
    Meeks1882- That is good stuff, I talked to a recruiter yesterday who told me "only police officers or older individuals are able to go to DEPOT." Like I said I am in the very early stages of getting things rolling but how did you go about getting a BM rate and how were you able to qualify for DEPOT? Any information would be greatly appreciated brother.

Thanks
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    cb1918

--
    07 Jun 2012 09:10 AM

For the Reserves, you will go to boot camp with a rate. This is true whether you go to the 8 week boot camp or DEPOT. What you score on the ASVAB will determine what rates you qualify for. There is an overall score, and there are scores for each section. I can't remember all the sections and I totally forgot what the qualifying scores were for the rates. Your recruiter will give you all that information. Once it's determined what you qualify for, your recruiter will tell you what billets are available. So, if you want DC, but there isn't a DC billet, then you're SOL. You can wait until a DC billet becomes available or pick a billet that's already available.
    As far as qualifying for DEPOT, your recruiter will tell you whether you qualify or not. In my DEPOT company we had cops, prior service, and "older" people (me being in the "older" category). I was 37 when I did DEPOT.
    Good luck!

"It's classified"
    jsu7833m

--
    07 Jun 2012 11:28 AM
    Of the 3 recruiters I have called I got 3 different answers about DEPOT. One says you have to be 30 years old, one says only prior service and one says only prior or LE. I assume just going to the full basic would be the best option for me.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    07 Jun 2012 12:29 PM
    Posted By jsu7833m on 07 Jun 2012 12:28 PM
    Of the 3 recruiters I have called I got 3 different answers about DEPOT. One says you have to be 30 years old, one says only prior service and one says only prior or LE. I assume just going to the full basic would be the best option for me.

While there are basic requirements for going to basic or DEPOT, from what I understand, each recruiter will make an determination about whether you should go to DEPOT or regular boot camp based on your age and experience. Even some people who meet the age requirement still go to regular boot if their recruiter thinks that would be better for them.
    meeks1882

--
    07 Jun 2012 07:07 PM
    At the time i first talked to my recruiter i was 29. I have minimal college experience, about 30 credits maybe. I have been in the fire service for over 7 years now. I think my asvab score was a 77, but what i needed for a BM rate i scored very well on. Thats all i have done for now along with what my recruiter has asked me. I also contacted the CC who was at the time running the DEPOT program and asked if i would be a good candidate for DEPOT. If there was more that had to be done to get me into depot then i credit my recruiter for that. As far as getting the BM rate, it is all about if there is a billet open in your area. I was just lucky enough to have a reserve bm billet open around me. I do know one thing DEPOT is not just for LE enforcement folks. The CG website explains everything you need to know about depot. If you have work experience that is related to rate within the coast guard then that is a qualification.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement