Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
usmc switch over?
Last Post 14 Jun 2012 12:39 AM by PaulReck. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
is it better?

--
12 Jun 2012 07:28 PM
    Ok so I'm in the USMC. I'm an E-4 with a dependent and 3 years of active service. I have 1 more year left till I get out. I have no NJP's or negative page 11's. My med record is just fine and my physical fitness is pretty good. I'm a 1341 (Heavy equipment mech) and a 1342 (boat mech). I have a lot more experience with being a boat mech bc that is the only job I've done in the corps. I'm stationed in Pendleton for a little more info.

What are the chances of me being able to join next year (2013)? Is there anything I can do to help my chances of joining?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    12 Jun 2012 07:34 PM
    You can start the process when you're within 90 days of your EOS date. You will have to do boot camp over again, and you would join as a non-rated E-3 if you get fully qualified and are selected to join by your recruiter. It's not as bad as it may seem though. CG E-3's are treated much more humanely than they are in the USMC.

In order to help your chances of joining, simply study for the ASVAB. You'll have to take it again because they expire after two years. If you get to join, the way job selection works is you go to boot camp, and then your first duty station. After you're there for four months, you can place your name on the school list of your choosing, provided that you qualify for it on your ASVAB. Other than that, it sounds like you should be in good shape. Good luck.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    is it better?

--
    12 Jun 2012 08:01 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply. I laughed at your sentence "CG E-3's are treated much more humanely than they are in the USMC". I don't even know how amazing that can be lol. Anyways, what are some things that can disqualify me joining? And if you had to give me a percentage on me being eligible to join, what would it be?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    12 Jun 2012 08:16 PM
    It would be impossible for me to give you any percentages or odds. However, we look favorably on those that have prior military service, so you have that working in your favor. The same things that could've disqualified you from service with the Marines come into play. Poor ASVAB, medical stuff, criminal history, etc. You should be good in those areas, so I wouldn't stress it too much. What part of the country are you in? Perhaps I know a recruiter nearby that could help you out.
    is it better?

--
    12 Jun 2012 08:19 PM
    I'm sure I can google this but I'd rather ask someone who's been there and done that, but what is the comparison between USMC boot camp and CG boot camp? I'm in Camp Pendleton. That's about 30 miles north of San Diego I believe.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    12 Jun 2012 08:25 PM
    Physically, CG boot camp will probably be a little easier than USMC boot camp. Academically, CG boot camp will be tougher. There's a lot of classes and training to be done. Anything and everything that could possibly be taught to you is shoved down your throat in a 7.5 week time frame. Having the prior experience will serve you very well in basic training though. There's a lot that you will already be mentally prepared for, and you would be especially helpful to the junior folks that haven't experienced anything like that before.

The San Diego office has a lot of good folks. Ask for John Adkins. He will help you out.
    is it better?

--
    12 Jun 2012 08:29 PM
    Ok I'll give them a call sometime this week. Thanks for all your help
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    12 Jun 2012 10:36 PM
    Welcome aboard and thank you for your service in the Marines. I will add something that will be a show stopper... You have a wife and one child... Keep it that way! If you can. Two dependents is the max. You might be able to get a waiver, but waivers are becoming more & more increasingly difficult to come by. So try not to get pregnant. At least not until after CG boot camp.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    PaulReck

--
    14 Jun 2012 12:39 AM
    I tell you what, I am a prior service Marine and have not looked back since joining. I made the switch back in the old'n days, in 1992. I am a former 0331/0352 who wanted a change. The Coast Guard met my expectations and then some. As an HS, I have been able to have the perfect balance between being in the thick of the action, while being treated as adult, contributing to something worthwhile. I believe that the Coast Guard has something for everyone. We have missions ranging from national defense, to law enforcement, to search and rescue, to environmental protection/response. It is a great branch that has active roles in both times of peace and war.

You will find that as a prior Marine, you are not alone.  The Coast Guard has the highest percentage of prior service personnel of all the branches of service.  A majority of these prior service(that I have encountered anyway) are former Marines. 

I am currently on board the CGC BERTHOLF.  We have 120(ish) members on board.  Of that number, we have seven prior service members.  They consist of one prior soldier(Army), two Sailors(Navy), and four Marines.  This is about the ratio I have seen my entire career. 

From what I have seen, Marines seem to rise about the rest(for the most part) due to our engrained motivation and discipline.  I have seen many make rate(advance) very quickly.  Based upon the specialty you pick, it will be possible to make E5, E6 promotable in one enlistment. 

Please do yourself a favor and start talking with a recruiter to get the details first hand.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

HSC S.P.Reck
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement