Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
CGC Buckthorn
Last Post 19 Jun 2012 10:23 PM by Gears. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
dti

--
15 Jun 2012 12:00 PM
    We just found out Frank will be stationed in Sault Ste Marie( the SOO ) on the CGC buckthorn a buoy tender. I am looking forward visiting him and getting some great walleye fishing in!

After looking up his station info it says he will be living in CG supplied apt. housing, my question is, are they furnished or unfurnished?

Thanks
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    15 Jun 2012 01:03 PM
    Usually they are unfurnished, but I've seen a few (mostly barracks rooms) that are furnished.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    15 Jun 2012 05:50 PM
    The Bucky is a great boat. I did some work on it back in my MAT Team days. They're gone quite a bit in summer (all 3 months of it) then welded to the pier during the winter.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    dti

--
    15 Jun 2012 11:04 PM
    Glad to hear that you enjoyed your time on the Buckthorn. If Frank works hard and does what is expected of him and then some, will he have a chance to see and do a variety of different rates
    at this station? At this point he's told me that he is still interested in being an ME.

Thanks again......you guy's are the best!
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    15 Jun 2012 11:18 PM
    I wasn't assigned to the Bucky. I just helped out with some work on board a few times. The crew loved it though. He'll be co-located with Sector Sault Ste Marie, so he'll be exposed to the majority of the rates. I'm sure there's an ME or two up there he can shadow.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    MNiemczyk24

--
    16 Jun 2012 06:13 PM
    Hey there! I'm currently stationed onboard the Buckthorn as a SN. If there's anything you'd like to know, don't be afraid to ask. It's a great unit. Is he coming from basic? If so, is he a SN or FN? What's his report date?
    dti

--
    18 Jun 2012 01:03 PM
    He is coming from basic, he graduates June 29th and then will fly home with us for a few days. Last I heard from him he did not know his designation yet, or his report date. He is excited to be part of your unit and can't wait to get up there. I'm sure his mother will have some questions for you!

Thanks
    MNiemczyk24

--
    18 Jun 2012 02:37 PM
    From the looks of it, Frank will be a SN. His general day-to-day duties will include a lot of painting, scraping, sanding, more painting. During buoy season he will be on deck working buoys, which is more painting and dirty work. We work hard, but we play hard too. Generally we're in port more often than underway, which can be a good and a bad thing. When he reports, he'll spend the first few days getting acclimated to the ship, learn what it is we do, basically indoctrination like boot camp minus the IT. He'll be given the task to get inport security watchstander qualified in his first month, then an additional 2 months for Special Emergency Operation Procedures qualified. Both of those qualifications are mainly getting to know the ship, how to operate certain emergency equipment, and what to do for different situations. Till he is qualified as ISW, his duty rotation will be 1 in 3. Once he's qualified, it will go up to 1 in 6. During his qualifying period he will be required to live on board, after that he will be assigned an apartment with a roommate. They're actually very nice apartments. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. We don't like to leave family members in the dark here. =]
    dti

--
    18 Jun 2012 09:30 PM
    MNiemczyk24, thank you for all of the information, it is a big help in easing some anxiety over here. Frank is generally on point and likes to get things done,He is a hard worker. We are biased Im sure but we have heard that from a lot of other people including his recruiter. He has said many times he is committed to doing whatever it takes to achieve his goals, actions speak louder than words so we hope he succeeds! Are the apartments empty, partially or fully furnished? Will he need a car? What would you suggest he bring up with him?

Thanks............more to follow Im sure
    MNiemczyk24

--
    18 Jun 2012 09:45 PM
    The apartments are unfurnished, though I wouldn't worry about that right away. Once he gets qualified and given in an apartment, he'll be given an opportunity to make a trip home if need be to grab some furnishings. Otherwise there's plenty of places in town here to get furniture or necessities, and yes we do have a Walmart.

As for a vehicle, not right away, but it's definitely a plus having one. Everyone on the boat has one, and depending on who his roommate will be, he'll have no problem finding a ride to work or other places. It's a possibility his roommate could be from a different unit, but we're all in the same apartment complex.
    Things to bring really just depends on him. At first he's gonna need to pack extremely light because his storage will consist of his rack and a tiny locker next to it. I'd say a week or so of regular clothes, plan for chilly nights, a laptop is definitely a plus, but I'd recommend leaving the rest of it home. He'll be able to venture off the boat after the workday as long as he doesn't have duty, so if there's anything he'd like to go get then he won't have a problem getting it.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    19 Jun 2012 05:31 PM
    Niemczyk,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for helping us out. Anyway.. do me a favor. Go down to your engine room and if you can look behind the main A/C compressor you should see a green seawater pipe. If you can get a good look at it, I'm curious to know if there's still green painted syntho glass on that pipe. It might be tough to see behind the compressor, but the pipe is pretty big. I have a story if it's still there.
    MNiemczyk24

--
    19 Jun 2012 06:55 PM
    Gears,

Not surprisingly, there's a LOT of painted over syntho glass on the boat. But yes, that bit of EWARP is still there. I gotta hear this story now, you've peaked my interest.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    19 Jun 2012 10:23 PM
    You've got to be kidding me. Many moons ago.. I attended AC&R school with the then MK1 of the Bucky. About 6 months before I rotated the A/C compressor breathed it's last breath. So, he asked me to assist in replacing it. So, we go through the steps and remove the compressor. We're checking out the rest of the system when I look at the pipe, and say.. "What the hell is that?!" The MK1 comes over and says, "What?"

"You have syntho-glass on your raw water pipe."
    "So?"
    "It's painted green."
    He leans over to look, "It sure is."

So, we replaced the compressor and I thought nothing of it until I saw this post. I was wondering if it ever got replaced. I guess not.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement