Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
First meeting with a recruiter
Last Post 28 Jun 2012 09:37 PM by Gears. 16 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
bdcunningham94

--
27 Jun 2012 02:28 PM
    My first meeting with my recruiter is July 10th! Only bad thing is that im 4 hours away so its gonna be a long nervous ride. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    JBraz

--
    27 Jun 2012 03:38 PM
    Whew that's a haul lol! First make sure you have all requested documents. Also treat it like a civilian job interview, be courteous & respectful. Make a list now of all of your questions because when you get there you will most likely forget them all! With a long trip like that give a call the day before and confirm your appt and touch base with the office beforehand. Best of luck, and remember we all sat in the applicant chair at one point!
    ~My destiny is to help others fulfill their destiny~
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    cgilliam

--
    27 Jun 2012 05:33 PM
    I second JBraz on calling first! I live three hours away from my recruiter and things can pop up the day of your appointment, you wouldn't want to travel all that way just to turn back around!
    Since I live so far from my recruiter I actually just spoke with him on the phone and the first time I met him was after I finished up at MEPS. Since it was after MEPS I obviously wasn't dressed in interview attire but I would suggest you dressed nice!
    But I've got promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Robert Frost
    bdcunningham94

--
    27 Jun 2012 07:09 PM
    Ok and i know there's not real answer but about how long is the meeting? and it sucks because i gotta leave my house at 5:30 to be there by 10 but its all gonna be worth it
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    cgilliam

--
    27 Jun 2012 08:10 PM
    My first phone call with the recruiter was almost an hour, I had a lot of questions and he had a lot of input. I would expect at least an hour.
    But I've got promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Robert Frost
    FlyingSavior

--
    27 Jun 2012 09:38 PM
    My first visit was a little over a hour. Second visit was almost 3 hours which was orientation with 2 other people. Third visit was roughly 30 minutes exchanging paper work and chatting.

I carried a small notepad and pen every where I went: work, school, out with friends, visiting family.
    I recorded questions that came to me or questions I was asked that never came to mind.
    I ditched the pad and pen for my phone.

Bring the questions and you can ask anything, they are there to help you.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    JBraz

--
    28 Jun 2012 04:48 AM
    My first appointments are usually an hour. Every office is different though. I only do 1 on 1 appointments, many offices do group appointments and that may take a little longer. Nothing wrong with waking up that early lol getting you conditioned for boot camp haha!
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    28 Jun 2012 05:40 AM
    Do you live in or are headed to a heavy traffic area???? Like going into NYC or Dallas or LA during rush hour traffic?? I would suggest you going the night before, having a nice dinner, gathering your thoughts, stay in a hotel, have a nice breakfast, and then only have a half an hour or an hour drive to the office. If you are going someplace that you can encounter morning traffic, I would leave at 4:30 for a 10 appointment. If you are there early, you can get a soda somewhere and just hang out a bit so you are still on time. If you are caught up in traffic, it would suck to show up at 11 because you weren't prepared for traffic. Just a thought.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    bdcunningham94

--
    28 Jun 2012 07:38 AM
    No its not a heavy traffic area im up in Maine and im leaving half an hour early to account for traffic and i already have a good amount of questions to ask. Is there anything else i should bring besides the required stuff?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    srf13

--
    28 Jun 2012 08:01 AM
    Posted By bdcunningham94 on 28 Jun 2012 08:38 AM
    No its not a heavy traffic area im up in Maine and im leaving half an hour early to account for traffic and i already have a good amount of questions to ask. Is there anything else i should bring besides the required stuff?

I don't know how old you are, but I'm in my 'later' years in terms of recruiting...  I've kept a binder of all (no matter how small) of my training, certifications, performance reviews, college transcripts, academy transcripts, and awards from my early 20's onward. Along with license, birth certificate, SS Card, and Passport.  I have all of it in a big 3 ring binder separated by category. 

It wasn't necessary for the first meeting (but I brought it, and my recruiter skimmed the entire thing), but I'm proud of my accomplishments, and it shows organization and motivation.  I knew the competition going in, and wanted to set myself apart immediately.  I like to think that it worked. 

I got my DREAM job, and when I met the GM1 of my unit, he wouldn't stop telling me how fast they wanted to send me to FAI school for them.
    bdcunningham94

--
    28 Jun 2012 03:37 PM
    Ok i just graduated high school and i have a bunch of certifications for diesel mechanics through my voc school. I'm going to put these in there but will they help me any?
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    JBraz

--
    28 Jun 2012 03:43 PM
    It depends, I wouldn't want any of that but your recruiter might beat thing you can do is ask or bring it anyways can't hurt. We would rather you have more than less.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    srf13

--
    28 Jun 2012 03:57 PM
    Posted By bdcunningham94 on 28 Jun 2012 04:37 PM
    Ok i just graduated high school and i have a bunch of certifications for diesel mechanics through my voc school. I'm going to put these in there but will they help me any?

I'm not going to say that they will or will not.  What I am saying is that the recruiters on here constantly discuss the 'Whole Person' approach to recruiting.  Do you want to be an MK?  Maybe the fact that you've dabbled in Diesel combined with a great ASVAB, organizational skills, communication skills, and motivation set you apart from the crowd.

If I can read between the lines of posts by Cooch, Gears, Jbraz, and Chukles, it's not first come first serve.  They look at everyone they have, and submit the people that (in this recruiting environment) exceed standards, and are people they would be proud to serve next to.  Those people get slots when they open up.

Civilian Certifications mean nothing once you are in, but they do show an aptitude and propensity for achieving goals and benchmarks in your job serving our country.  That's all I'm saying.

edit:  By the way, my discussion of my binder is not limited to enlistment whatsoever.  Take it as general life advice.  It may or may not have had an impact on my recruitment, but I know for a FACT that it landed me jobs over people.  I've spoken to hiring panels after I was hired.  I was given the idea from an HR Director way back at one of my first jobs.

Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    28 Jun 2012 04:36 PM
    A professional looking portfolio is an excellent plan for anyone seeking a career...if you are just wanting the Taco Bell job than no need to have one. It may not be looked at or needed during your interview or hiring process, but when you are asked to provide something, and bam right there on the spot you can provide it, that is impressive for sure. Plus you will never have to go looking for this or that, it is all right there ready to go, ready to reference.
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    28 Jun 2012 04:47 PM
    If I can read between the lines of posts by Cooch, Gears, Jbraz, and Chukles, it's not first come first serve. They look at everyone they have, and submit the people that (in this recruiting environment) exceed standards, and are people they would be proud to serve next to. Those people get slots when they open up.

Nailed it!
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    JBraz

--
    28 Jun 2012 07:08 PM
    That brought tears to my eyes! They finally get it lol. Aww they grow so fast!
    It's competitive, so be my best applicant and make me proud. I just got a Facebook message from a shipmate today saying he is stationed with my newest recruit, my name and reputation are at stake. You shine, I shine and I freaking love to shine!
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    28 Jun 2012 09:37 PM
    +1 Jbraz

I just got a text. Today is the 1 year anniversary for 3 Shipmates I drove to the airport. They're all doing awesome. I love it!
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement