Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Difference b/w sector/station psu?
Last Post 25 Jan 2013 09:29 PM by Cooch. 17 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
klx77

--
30 Jun 2012 08:18 AM
    I'm sure this question has been asked numerous times but the search function is not working and I wanted to know the difference between a sector/station etc.

I was recently told that I will be assigned to Sector NY and was wondering what kind of work that entails as I will be a reservist.

Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    30 Jun 2012 09:06 AM
    A sector is a command unit that oversees multiple stations, ANT teams, small cutters, and other field units. A PSU is a reserve unit that focuses on port security, enforcing security zones, doing deployments, etc.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    01 Jul 2012 09:02 AM
    Sort of on topic sort of not... Is the "new" sector what I would consider as a SupCen? If so, why did they change the name from Support Centers to Sectors? Seems to me, and I don't know the answer, Support Center seems to describe what they do more than calling it a Sector. Just curious. As I like to say at the office, no one asked my opinion, just wondered why the change. Thanks.
    USCGC Midgett
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    01 Jul 2012 09:23 AM
    Sectors are what Groups and MSO's used to be. They combined the two to make Sectors. I believe there is only one Group remaining, in Astoria. I may be wrong about that though. The name changes happen a lot. Activities NY changed to Sector NY, and it will be Base NY soon. Confusing, definitely. I imagine there's some good, sound reasoning for the changes, but they generally don't filter down to our level. I was at MSO Providence when it merged into Sector Southeast New England. We were given plank owner status when the only thing that changed at our job, was the way we answered our phone.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    01 Jul 2012 09:53 AM
    I know Jimmy has as a doormat "MSO Juneau" with the CG racing stripe. He was the XO when it became Sector Juneau. But I'm still confused. LOL Thanks for clarifying Cooch!
    USCGC Midgett
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    01 Jul 2012 11:26 AM
    I'm still confused as well, so don't feel alone.
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    01 Jul 2012 04:31 PM
    who isn't confused....you have to throw "Base" into the mix now too
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    01 Jul 2012 06:19 PM
    I figured it was just me! HAHA Glad to see you active boys are just as confused as me.
    USCGC Midgett
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    02 Jul 2012 12:32 PM
    Yeah.. If it doesn't have CGC or STA infront of the title I'm not entirely sure what it is or what people do there.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    03 Jul 2012 01:52 PM
    Just like how we are no longer ISC ( Integrated Support Unit) Kodiak but Base Kodiak. Everything still says ISC though.

Commsta has been Commsta though for a LONG time, even though we are the only staffed Commsta in the CG anymore.  Especially now that we've made some changes to some of our other functions, we really do function like a CAMS.  I wonder if we will ever become NorCAMSPAC?  I like being the red-headed step child of the CG comms world though.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    03 Jul 2012 02:18 PM
    awww we hear you guys on the radio ALOT. When we are out there Ill try and coordinate being on the bridge when you are on watch. But in the past all Kodiak wants to do with us are like 4 hour radio checks, but for no reason?
    You can only make yourself look bad.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    03 Jul 2012 04:19 PM
    Ah, the joys of HF comms. We do radio checks every time we rotate watchstanders. Often times it's the only time we use the damned things, and there have been more than a few occasions those 4 hours checks have caught some piece of equipment not working. Rather it then than during a SAR case. Although, unless we have a your guard, we never do checks with cutters.

Actually, just checked the SOP.  4 hour checks are definitely to confuse the BMs
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    03 Jul 2012 07:17 PM
    COMMSTA Boston isn't around anymore?
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    03 Jul 2012 08:04 PM
    Eh, well, there are people there, but no watch standers. So yes, there are people there to manage the equipment, but it's operated remotely.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    03 Jul 2012 08:11 PM
    Roger that. I always thought it was funny that it was called COMMSTA Boston, yet it is located on Cape Cod, an hour away from Boston.
    Annie_Oakley

--
    25 Jan 2013 09:41 AM
    Posted By Cooch on 30 Jun 2012 10:06 AM
    A sector is a command unit that oversees multiple stations, ANT teams, small cutters, and other field units. A PSU is a reserve unit that focuses on port security, enforcing security zones, doing deployments, etc.

How often do PSU's deploy? I was just told I will be stationed at a PSU in CA. Would it be a good idea to talk to some of the people over at the base that I will be working with?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheLurker22

--
    25 Jan 2013 08:10 PM
    How often a PSU deploys is usually a matter of OPSEC (plus it always depends on natural disasters like earthquakes and hurricanes which usually affects deployments too). It is always a great idea to contact someone at the PSU just to introduce yourself and get a quick feel for how things are. Your recruiter can get you set up with who your contact will be after boot camp (assuming you haven't gone yet).
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    25 Jan 2013 09:29 PM
    You should be prepared to deploy at least once during your contract.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement