Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Need advice / Cooch please respong.
Last Post 10 Jul 2012 03:48 PM by Cooch. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
theunionforever4

--
09 Jul 2012 01:45 PM
    I am trying to find a career with the coastguard, but I don't want to make the mistake of going reserves if an active position is possible.  It is not that I don't trust the recruiter, but I have had lazy recruiters in the Navy who could have put me back in active but just "assumed" I wasn't interested in programs like SEAL/SWCC, and overall did not tell me the reality of the recruiting needs.

I am prior Navy (Aviation Ordnanceman/Gunners Mate) and I have been off active since 2010 RE-1. I am currently a Police Officer for the department of defense. I am 28 years old, and I collect 15 percent disability from the VA (which I was told can be put in hiatus status).  

I was told when I called the local recruiter that I was disqualified from octobers upcoming active duty hiring surge because I have been out of active duty for too long, and because I am 28 and could not be considered for starting over at e1 either. does this sound right? The information I read contradicts what the recruiter has told me over the phone. 

Thank You,
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    09 Jul 2012 02:06 PM
    My concern is your 15% disability. You'll have to waive it in order to process, if you don't get selected or get medically DQ'ed you won't be able to get it back.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    09 Jul 2012 02:31 PM
    +1 Gears. That is a pretty serious risk, with no guarantee that the risk will pay off.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    theunionforever

--
    10 Jul 2012 02:18 PM
    I understand I am a "risk", but the army and navy had no problem getting me waived to come in the reserves. I claimed scars from a knee surgery with the VA when I seperated from the Navy, because I was advised to. I am in the best shape of my life, and actually better than before the injury. Is there anyway to forfeit the disability?, and beside that do I have any other disqualifying factors? the recruiter basicaly rushed me off the phone, and I would have to say because there is only one recruiting station in that covers Norfolk, Virginia Beach, and Chesapeake VA, and i doubt they are hungry for numbers. It seems to me more like they dont want to go through the hassel on some prior service guy, at least that is what the navy recruiter basicaly admited to me a year ago.

Thanks for all the help guys.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    10 Jul 2012 02:40 PM
    The only way to know for sure is to speak to your local recruiter. Find out if there's any other disqualifying factors before you make ANY decisions. It's a tough decision, and I don't envy anyone that has to make it. Keep us posted on what the recruiter says.
    theunionforever

--
    10 Jul 2012 03:13 PM
    Thanks guys, and also do any of you prior recruiters know if University of Phoenix is acredited for officer opportunities? The recruiter told me if i am on my last year of college before I am 30 I may be eligable, next year would put me at 29 and about 10 months of school left. If I can not go active then I plan on doing the reserves, but I dont want my reserve status to mess up a possible future with the officer program.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    10 Jul 2012 03:48 PM
    The application deadline is January and they announce selections around the end of May. As long as you are going to graduate in the spring, you should be ok.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement