Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Coast Guard caught torturing goats?
Last Post 15 Jul 2012 07:05 AM by TheLurker22. 13 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
FloridaGirl

--
13 Jul 2012 06:37 PM
    http://www.hlntv.com/video/2012/07/...s-training

Video is graphic. A quick google search brings up the whole video if you really want to watch it.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    13 Jul 2012 07:06 PM
    Also, I feel the need to add that I haven't been able to find anything regarding if this was official CG training or CG members on their liberty time, or even military members at all.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    13 Jul 2012 07:37 PM
    I question the validity of everything on here. How many Coast Guard field training evolutions have you ever seen out of uniform? What in this video identifies anyone here as Coast Guard? Perhaps they are another country's Coast Guard, but they don't appear to be ours. People can get upset if they want to. It is pretty gruesome, but there's nothing in this video that shows me that these are Coast Guard members.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    srf13

--
    13 Jul 2012 07:42 PM
    That was a straight up military hit-piece. I'm not condoning animal torture WHATSOEVER, but the breathless reporting on that was pretty lame.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    13 Jul 2012 08:09 PM
    Cooch, I completely agree with you. Hence the question mark in the topic and my additional post. I wonder why people think it is the CG at all. I've never heard of anyone torturing animals for trauma training.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    srf13

--
    14 Jul 2012 05:01 AM

Posted By FloridaGirl on 13 Jul 2012 09:09 PM
    Cooch, I completely agree with you. Hence the question mark in the topic and my additional post. I wonder why people think it is the CG at all. I've never heard of anyone torturing animals for trauma training.

I have heard of animals being used to train people how to use Celox and other Combat Gauze for traumatic wounds. They are put under, and will have arteries cut so they can work arterial bleeds in a combat scenario (pigs specifically). It's certainly not to the level of hacking off limbs with a tree cutter. That's insanity.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    14 Jul 2012 10:10 AM
    This appears to be a related article from a more-reliable source. It ran last April.
    http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...video?lite
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    14 Jul 2012 11:24 AM
    That's too bad. I was hoping they were wrong that the CG was involved.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    14 Jul 2012 11:45 AM
    I didn't watch the video or re=read that article from MSNBC... I saw bits & pieces when the story first came out and I can't bring myself to watch something like that again. Horrible to think anyone is involved, CG, Army, any military, any human...
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    14 Jul 2012 12:00 PM
    Thanks KD. Unfortunate indeed.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    14 Jul 2012 03:54 PM
    FWIW, on one related article, a commenter said he has worked with animals sedated with ketamine, and the drug itself has caused hoofed animals--like goats---to kick and moan, even when no one is touching them at all. It is possible that the video, to some degree, has been sensationalized and/or taken out of context.
    It's unfortunate, but there are many surgical techniques and medical treatments that save human lives that were perfected on animals. The ethics of that may be debatable, but the truth of it isn't. :/
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    14 Jul 2012 05:45 PM
    KD, that's very true. I guess part of me just wonders, if they wanted to see an arterial bleed, why not at a hospital? Where it's an actual person? Or ride along with a paramedic crew? I worked a *children's* hospital and I saw more than enough gory and trauma for a lifetime. Impalements? Check. Gun shot wounds to the face? Check. CO2 canister explosion? Check. Severe burn victims, dismemberments, disembowelments, car accidents, motorcycle accidents, deglovings, blunt force traumas? Check. Since I've clearly never been in a combat zone dealing with these things, I don't know the extent of the differences. But it's certainly more realistic than a goat or pig, right?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    14 Jul 2012 06:01 PM
    I just wonder how practical it is to be giving this training to Coasties. We have many Coasties in Bahrain, but Bahrain isn't a combat zone. For the Coasties that are working in conjunction with other services in combat zones, you would think that they could get the training through that respective branch. To me, this doesn't seem like good stewardship of the taxpayer's dollars, since there's no real return on investment.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheLurker22

--
    15 Jul 2012 07:05 AM

Posted By FloridaGirl on 14 Jul <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">2012</a> 06:45 PM
    KD, that's very true. I guess part of me just wonders, if they wanted to see an arterial bleed, why not at a hospital? Where it's an actual person? Or ride along with a paramedic crew? I worked a *children's* hospital and I saw more than enough gory and trauma for a lifetime. Impalements? Check. Gun shot wounds to the face? Check. CO2 canister explosion? Check. Severe burn victims, dismemberments, disembowelments, car accidents, motorcycle accidents, deglovings, blunt force traumas? <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">Check</a>. Since I've clearly never been in a combat zone dealing with these things, I don't know the extent of the differences. But it's certainly more realistic than a goat or pig, right?

Well, you won't have the same injuries everyday even in an ER. You might not have anyone come in with anything worse than a drug overdose or alcohol poisoning. You can't have a group of "students" waiting around all day for something to happen. On top of that, it's not just to watch someone else work on a patient (you won't remember the steps as well) but to actually work on something (can't use humans in experiments because it's unethical) with a wide variety of injuries you might face in your career. Since they are students, they can't work on patients as they come in without the proper certification (even if they did happen to have gotten lucky with an arterial bleed in an ER).

Although I haven't participated in or even seen this training, I've heard rumors of it. As someone else has said, it's greatly enhanced combat casualty care in all branches of the military. There was also a quote on there that said it helped Coasties responding to the earthquake in Haiti (was not there either to know if this was true). I do know that I have been trained and instructed on a wide variety of things I don't think I will ever use but because there is a small possibility of it happening, that's the rationale for training. Coasties in Kuwait, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc have a possibility of facing these situations.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement