Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
army reserve to cg
Last Post 19 Jul 2012 03:23 PM by Cooch. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
TheIncredibleGrunt

--
16 Jul 2012 04:51 PM
    Hello, I am currently in the army reserve. My current contract ends 24nov2012.. And am trying to see what my options are. I was looking into going AD Army or the CG the only slots right now for AD army would be selection, and currently with a dui from 2008 on my record getting into selection is slim to none. What if anything would be available to me in the CG having a dui from 5yrs ago on my record? As it stands now, if I get out of the reserves I will have a RE code 1. 37months active duty time. Rank is E4 with time in grade at three years. Age is 25, ASVAB was 68 total and GT of 110, mos was 11B, 11c and 88N. I am also weighing the option of getting my aerospace engineering degree.(3 years left) But I'd really like to join the CG in some capacity while doing school if possible.
    TheIncredibleGrunt

--
    16 Jul 2012 05:23 PM
    The 88N is Transportation management coordinator. We do alot of work at various Ports checking cargo in and out etc. and making sure the civ contractora dont run off with gear or break/mishandle equipment. 11b is infantry and 11c is mortarman. Im assuming if anything would xfer over itd be the 88n. Also rank reduction is not a big deal to me either to be honest. And medically I am sound I currently have a disability rating for mtbi and ptsd, but waived my disability since I recieved the rating in 2008. (also recently passed a flight physical to)
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    16 Jul 2012 05:34 PM
    I'll start with the not-so-good news. You would have to come in as an E-3 and go through boot camp again. Your jobs, while they have similar counterparts in the CG, are not in high demand in the CG. This means that we aren't hurting for those jobs.

The good news is that the DUI won't hurt you too badly since it was so long ago. Once you are within 90 days of your ETS date, you can meet with a CG recruiter and fill out a DD368 (Request For Conditional Release). This form is a permission slip that the Army signs to alleviate you of your Army IRR time. Once that form is signed by the Army, we can begin the process with you. You will have to do the ASVAB and MEPS again, but that shouldn't be too tough for you. Good luck.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    TheIncredibleGrunt

--
    17 Jul 2012 12:10 AM
    Rank reduction isn't a big deal and anythings better then a toilet scrubber E1.lol. Are there any specialty jobs that would be somewhat considered hard to pass? And what if any does the coast guard have for critically needed jobs/mos as I think I might as well try to get into one that is highly needed, whether it be like hull scrubber or cook. Might as well fill something thst needs filled. Also thanks for heads up with the asvab needing to be retaken. Time to study!
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    17 Jul 2012 01:51 PM
    Cook (FS) is our only critical job right now. It's the only one where you can go straight from basic training to 'A' school.
    TheIncredibleGrunt

--
    17 Jul 2012 11:26 PM
    Lol well thats interesting..if I did cook would I be able to volunteer for schools/training? Also would a dui ruin chances for ocs and flight school?. My current college GPA is 3.3.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    18 Jul 2012 05:03 PM
    You would be able to volunteer for different cooking schools, and possibly some other training. The DUI will probably hurt your OCS package to be perfectly honest.
    TheIncredibleGrunt

--
    19 Jul 2012 12:44 PM
    I sent a email on the uscg website for more information, hopefully a recruiter in the New Orleans area will contact me soon. I just checked my army reserve enlistment and am 90 days out. They are wanting to send me to some schools and such soon(trying to get me to reenlist by giving me any school I request lol)so hopefully I can get some info on whether I can join or not. Is it possible to take the ASVAB/MEPS before my enlistment is up or is that a No Go area for recruiters? As I don't want to get out of the reserves and then be told to take a hike at meps or by the recruiter and then have to jump loops for the army reserve again.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    19 Jul 2012 03:23 PM
    You have to wait until a DD368 Request for Conditional Release is signed by you, your CG recruiter, and your Army chain of command. They have to give you permission to enlist in the CG since you will still have IRR time left on your contract.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement