Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
station golden gate
Last Post 12 Jan 2013 03:22 PM by BMtree. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
12michaelh

--
19 Jul 2012 05:56 PM
    Im applying to become a reserve mk at station Golden gate in section 11. Can anyone tell me a little about what I can expect from this station? Im really excited about it, I've lived in the bay area my entire life but never been to the golden gate believe it or not. Thanks in advance.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MasterGuns2077

--
    19 Jul 2012 06:06 PM
    I can only give you hearsay, since I never served there.  My GM2 met some guys in Bahrain who served at Golden Gate, we were actually just talking about it the other day.  Apparently you can expect a lot of calls to go pull jumpers out of the water.  Again, that's only what I've heard, and I'm sure they do plenty more besides that.
    For what it's worth, here's a link the unit page if you didn't already see that. 
    Your passion for what you do will set you free.
    PaulReck

--
    19 Jul 2012 06:37 PM
    Yes! The highlight of your drill day will be the condition of the "jumpers".

I guess that the bridge is a Mecca for those who want to end their lives. Tragic...(roll eyes). Last year, 37 took the plunge. In the 70+ years the bridge has been around, over 1500 people went for the eternal bath.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    19 Jul 2012 11:36 PM
    Agreed; a friend's son is stationed there. For a young guy, the unending stream of jumpers kind of traumatic...took some time to harden to it a little. She says there are counselors or chaplains available regularly, because it's something everyone there deals with.
    Lots to do there though, and beautiful city...about the only way a young person could afford to live there!
    12michaelh

--
    22 Jul 2012 04:14 PM
    Wow, I hadn't thought about the jumpers. But I want to make law enforcement a career so Ill have to overcome that anyway. Thats reassuring that there is support there though. Thanks for the input.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    28 Aug 2012 07:49 PM
    The jumpers are only on Shepard pie day from a buddy that was therr
    BMtree

--
    12 Jan 2013 11:25 AM
    I am a BM3 coxn OOD at GG. Jumpers is something the crew talks about and deals with and we mess around with each other about it. Most of us have to same reaction of "lets see what this ignorant person is going to say" when someone starts talking about Jumpers. Yes they happen, but don't be just another ignorant Coastie or civilian who thinks that's all we do or it's the highlight of our day. We are the busiest SAR unit in the CG and second busiest unit in the CG. It's irritating when we get new non-rates and all they say is "my CC said all I'm going to do is pick jumpers up". That's because they are ignorant and just want to sound like they know what they are talking about. Sorry to be snappy it's just irritating.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    12 Jan 2013 01:10 PM
    And GG is a heavy weather station, so you'll have some fun with that
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    BMtree

--
    12 Jan 2013 03:22 PM
    Golden Gate is a Surf Station along with a Level 1 PWCS unit and a busy one at that. So we have plenty to keep us busy. As a reserve you will just be required to break in 25 crew. You really won't have a hand in SAR or the PWCS. Even the qualified reservists we have just have to do training the whole time they are there just to keep up with currencies. Being a reservists at a station is not very glorious to be honest. I have been at two Surf stations and can tell you that. You would find life more exciting as a reserve at a MSST. Reserves don't really do SAR at all unless they are on Title 10 orders and even the ones we have only do Tac Crew and BO/BTM.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement