Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Prior Army to Coast Guard??
Last Post 09 Sep 2012 03:53 PM by Old Guard2. 17 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Johnnyboy

--
02 Aug 2012 11:16 PM
    Hello,

I'm extremely interested in becoming a Coastie! I'm currently in the Army as E-4 and my MOS is 91F a small arms repairer. I am deploying in about 2 months and when I return I will start out processing out of the Army with a ETS date of Feb 2014. I will 4 years in service and one dependent my wife and have never been in trouble with the Army. I currently have a secret clearance. I am extremely set on joining the Coast Guard and will be very open minded when it comes to what rate they want me in, rank they want me to start at, and duty station they will want to send me. My question is do you think they will be still accepting prior service when I get out, or is that to far out to ask? Is there anything I can start doing to prepare in joining the Coast Guard now? Should I start talking to a local recruiter at this time? Thank you oh and also I have a high ASVAB score if that matters. Thanks again! 
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    03 Aug 2012 06:41 AM
    Yes, we should still be accepting prior service. I like your willingness to accept certain things up front. Let us know if you have any questions, and stay safe over there.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Johnnyboy

--
    03 Aug 2012 01:12 PM
    Thanks for the reply! Ya I'm fully open in joining I just think the Coast Guard can provide a much better life for my family than the Army can and I can still serve my country!
    Johnnyboy

--
    05 Aug 2012 04:02 PM
    Anyone have any input on the questions I asked in my first post?! Thanks!
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    05 Aug 2012 10:35 PM
    Stay safe overseas and continue to stay out of trouble. Anything other than an RE-1 on your DD-214 will be a DQ. Don't contact a recruiter until you're 6 months from your release from active duty. There's not much else we can offer you. Recruiting is going to be a totally different animal in 2014, and the standards are going to change. We just can't predict how.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Johnnyboy

--
    06 Aug 2012 03:01 PM
    Appreciate the reply! Yes I will continue to stay out if trouble and am prolly taking some homeland security classes towards a certificate in homeland security so I have something to offer and maybe bring something to offer. What would make me have anything besides a RE-1 code? I never been in trouble or never had any injuries. You think your tattoo policy will change because right now I qualify with your current policy but if it gets more strict I could be out and that worries me I really want this for my family! Also thanks for the support down range you guys stay safe too!
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    06 Aug 2012 04:26 PM
    I don't know how strict the Army is with their RE codes, so keep doing what you're doing, and possibly more of it. I doubt the tattoo policy will become more strict. But, a lot can happen between now and 2014. Keep your tats within regs and you should be fine.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Johnnyboy

--
    06 Aug 2012 05:43 PM
    Ya I really don't know either but I know I'm good to reenlist in the Army so I should be good! Ya I don't plan on anymore artwork till I know what's going on with the Coast Guard. Thanks again!
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    06 Aug 2012 07:55 PM
    If you have any more questions feel free to hit us up. And seriously, stay safe out there.
    honey

--
    07 Sep 2012 03:03 AM
    I just got out of the army and I'm also wanting to join the coast guard. I was a regular ets, deployed once yadayada I'm looking for more info on the depot program I can't seem to get ahold of my recruiter. Mainly I'm just wondering I'd I even qualify or if I'll have to go through basic, which is fine by me, but obviously three weeks verses eight sounds better! Ha ha I've posted on another forum and I don't think there had been a response but I'm still trying to figure out this website so I apologize if I've been redundant, I'm excited to see what some options are
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    07 Sep 2012 11:47 AM
    What was your MOS in the Army?
    honey

--
    08 Sep 2012 01:16 AM
    I was a medic.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    08 Sep 2012 09:01 AM
    Unfortunately, that job isn't on our Open Rate List, meaning that it isn't undermanned at the moment. This means that it would be the full 8 weeks of training, and you would come in as an E-3. You would make E-4 again once you complete 'A' school. The average wait for 'a' school is about 2 years at the moment.
    honey

--
    08 Sep 2012 11:26 PM
    What about after October 1st? I wonder if it'll be changed then,I mean eight weeks isn't a big deal but I would prefer to avoid it.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    09 Sep 2012 12:25 AM
    No, that job will never be a critical job for us. There are always plenty of people on the school list, so we are never short on people.
    honey

--
    09 Sep 2012 03:07 PM
    Does the coast guard have ta like in the army? So would it be possible to take college classes while waiting on an A school spot?
    honey

--
    09 Sep 2012 03:10 PM
    I'm not trying to be difficult I really appreciate your taking the time to respond to my many questionsmy local recruiter and I have been playing phone tag it seems like and when I say local he's sixty plus miles away so I'm trying to get as much info as possible before making the trip.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    09 Sep 2012 03:53 PM
    Not being difficult at all!! That's why we are here, I hope. Fill in some of the blanks when the recruiters are stretched so thin. Yes, the CG absolutely has TA and it is encouraged to participate! An educated Coastie is a good Coastie! Keep in mind thouhg when you get to your first station out of boot you will need to get qualifications done and forget about the Army darkside, learn CG, come into the light! (Just teasing about the Army dark side. ) You will need to get things done and those of course should take priority. But you will have plenty of opportunity. Any other questions, ask away. We really are happy to help.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement